Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In-country Executive Protection Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In-country Executive Protection Question

    I have a client that is very high profile and wants me to provide 2 guys for EP work. The guys who will be working the detail are former law enforcement and have LE creds, CA Guard Card, and a CA Firearms permit.

    My questions are: 1) If I have a PPO and PI license in California, am I required to get a license in each state that my client visits? I was thinking that I could operate off of my PI license and any reciprocities available in each state.

    2) If not, then what is the longest that my guys can conduct EP work in each state and what would the repercussions be if something goes south and it is not in California?

    So far, he has only mentioned Florida, Virginia, and Idaho but I know that he is going to travel in other states as well.

    Thanks in advance for any information on this one.

    Raymond Miller
    Intelligent Ops International, Inc.
    Security and Investigative Service
    Last edited by mbmx13; 04-28-2007, 07:11 PM.

  • #2
    You must have a license in each state, unless that state recongizes a PI license. You will not be carrying weapons except in Virginia (If I remember correctly, you can open carry in Virginia), even if these are people who are former or active LEOs. (Remember, they are authorized to carry weapons personally, but the state's requirement for security licensing of guns will preempt HR218 (whatever law that bill passed as).)

    If I remember correctly, you will need a C licensee in Florida who as a G license to work a bodyguard case armed. A citizen CCW in Florida cannot be used professionally, it becomes an unlawful carry issue.

    I do not remember if Florida has reciprocity with California. I do not believe so. There may be provisions for unarmed PIs from another state to come into Florida, but the C licensee (Full fledged PI) must be in charge of the op.

    Other states, no clue.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

    Comment


    • #3
      These reciprocity laws can be real snarly to unravel. I'd suggest you contact the relevant state licensing division in each state directly to get your answers.

      One thing that EP clients must understand is how critical it is for their itineraries to be as unambiguous and as detailed in advance as possible, because you can't perform a proper preassignment threat assessment otherwise.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

      "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

      "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

      "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate everyone's input. I had a feeling that was the answer. I am probably going to subcontract with Armed PI's / Bodyguards in each state but other than that, I don't see this happening right away since I know how slow the State of California process is at getting approved for PPO/PI licensing.

        I applied for my PPO/PI in November 2006 and just received my license(s) back in March of 2007.

        This has got to be my favorite forum to post questions on since there are nothing but professionals in the industry on here willing to help.

        Thanks again,

        Ray

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SecTrainer
          These reciprocity laws can be real snarly to unravel. I'd suggest you contact the relevant state licensing division in each state directly to get your answers.

          One thing that EP clients must understand is how critical it is for their itineraries to be as unambiguous and as detailed in advance as possible, because you can't perform a proper preassignment threat assessment otherwise.
          Second this. Your advance teams should be on the ground in each state figuring out what the best routes are, what the place(s) look like, what the local people are like...

          Is it not spur of the moment travel that gets people in trouble?
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment


          • #6
            I often take a weekend ride into the next states mountains. One day I thought it might be a good idea to see if they honored my states ltc/ccw. So I checked the chart and they do . That's nice. The asterisk next to the answer was not so good. Before I can carry in their state I need to send a photo copy of my licence and $20.00 processing fee to the head of their state police. I need to say where I would be staying and when I would arrive and be leaving. What a crock of it that is. Money grabbing bunch of commies.
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              That's lovely.

              Another thing to consider are states like Minnesota who do not have a security permit for employees, or a firearms permit for security personnel. They have a CCW/Open Carry permit for everyone, and only companies are licensed.

              So, there could never be reciprocity with Minnesota, I would wager. They don't give individual licenses (people tend to call these blue cards or guard cards. Why are they always blue?) and the firearms permit is a citizen CCW.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chucky
                I often take a weekend ride into the next states mountains. One day I thought it might be a good idea to see if they honored my states ltc/ccw. So I checked the chart and they do . That's nice. The asterisk next to the answer was not so good. Before I can carry in their state I need to send a photo copy of my licence and $20.00 processing fee to the head of their state police. I need to say where I would be staying and when I would arrive and be leaving. What a crock of it that is. Money grabbing bunch of commies.
                To me, that's not "honoring" your state's ccw permit. If they issue permits to nonresidents, as some states do, maybe you just should go that route if you spend much time over there.

                This just illustrates to me how antiquated all of these patchwork regulations can be, whether we're talking ccw or SO licensing, in the 21st century. I think I would support national licensing both for ccw and SO licensing - providing the licensing regulations themselves were reasonable and the agencies that managed the licensing was efficient (and prompt) in issuing and overseeing the licenses.

                Unfortunately, we don't have any evidence that the regulations would be reasonable OR that the federal government would be efficient and prompt in issuing/administering the licenses (witness the incredible delays experienced by defense contractors who need security clearances, or the incredible time and cost it takes carriers to be certified under the C-TPAT program so that their vehicles can avoid delays at the borders). Heck - a secondary industry has sprung up with "consultants" charging big fees to help the carriers become C-TPAT certified. Seems like everything the federal government tries to do just turns into a bureaucratic mess. They can't help themselves.

                And, of course, there would be a howl of protest from the states like there has been regarding the notion of a national drivers license or even the national standard for state-issued drivers licenses - the "Real ID Act" (and I'm not sure that there aren't still some states refusing to comply).
                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mbmx13
                  I have a client that is very high profile and wants me to provide 2 guys for EP work. The guys who will be working the detail are former law enforcement and have LE creds, CA Guard Card, and a CA Firearms permit.

                  My questions are: 1) If I have a PPO and PI license in California, am I required to get a license in each state that my client visits? I was thinking that I could operate off of my PI license and any reciprocities available in each state.

                  2) If not, then what is the longest that my guys can conduct EP work in each state and what would the repercussions be if something goes south and it is not in California?

                  So far, he has only mentioned Florida, Virginia, and Idaho but I know that he is going to travel in other states as well.

                  Thanks in advance for any information on this one.

                  Raymond Miller
                  Intelligent Ops International, Inc.
                  Security and Investigative Service
                  Here is an ad from the local Craigs List. Maybe you should text him for how he gets around all the negatives in this line of security.

                  Reply to: [email protected]
                  Date: 2007-04-24, 8:36PM EDT


                  Executive Protection Specialist with over 15 years of experience is looking for opportunties in the (BLANK) area. If you are an executive, VIP or just looking to ensure you or your families safety please contact me. I have domestic and international experience protecting clients from real or perceived threats.

                  I provide discreet personal protection by maintaining the highest integrity when dealing with clients, co-workers and family members. I am physically fit, articulate and dressed for success.

                  Additionally, we offer transportaion services. Our fleet includes 2007 Mercedes Benz S550 or Yukon Denali XL

                  Personal Bio:
                  6'6"
                  275 lbs


                  Should you feel the need to hire a "professional," please contact me via the attached email address.
                  THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                  THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                  http://www.boondocksaints.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Everyone is very correct on watching the fine print in the laws. Even asking LEO of that state everyone has their own interpertation of things. Most often if you have LEO with you that will take off about 80% the heat if someone was to ask questions. Best to always follow the state laws and just keeping low profile will be the best advice of all...
                    M E N in B L A C K
                    Personal Security Svcs.

                    Comment

                    Leaderboard

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X