Flashlight recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashlight recommendations?

I saw the flashlight thread in the "General Discussions Area" and didnt want to hijack it so I thought I would start my own thread.

I was recently training one of my 3rd shifters. He gets out this little LED flash light he got from the NRA. It had 2 brightness settings, 50 lumens and 200 lumens. Lets just say it took my Streamlight to school and made it look like a pathetic candle. I did notice one thing about LED lights vs flashlights like mine and that mine has better range then the LED's, or so it seems.

Can anyone recommend a good rechargable LED flashlight that has brightness and range? I dont want anything like a maglight.
    Last edited by FireEMSPolice; 07-31-2010, 08:17 PM.
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
    I dont want anything like a maglight.
    Well, there went my suggestion. I only have a 3-cell Maglight LED. My sister got it for me as a birthday gift, bought it at Wal*Mart. It seems to work really well, has nice distance, and plenty of light output. I use not only at work, but for just about any job.

Just my two cents, but I really like it. Plus, I don't like paying $200 for a flashlight. I know all about paying more for batteries, but really, I don't. I buy a 6-pack once every 3-4 months, so ina year, I've paid close to $60, or somewhere around there. The batteries generally last me 2 to 3 months. Maybe 4 if I don't use that often.

Comment

I have a Led Lenser P7. Not cheap, but not as expensive as some. Just under 200 lumens.
      Used it last night help move on a group of try-hard gatecrashers at a private party. They were milling around probably 100 metres away when I hit them with the spot. They screeched and scattered like bats. Awesome
      I also carry a $5 supermarket LED torch for checking lists, etc, cos the Lenser would blind me if I used it for that. It's great when on patrol as well, lights up courtyards and carparks really well.
      It runs on I think 5 AAA batteries and puts out the 200 lumens for 140 hours I think. It's not rechargeable, but the batteries are cheap and they last a while.
      It does have a low power mode with a second push of the tailswitch.

Comment

Hunter R2 from Liotec.com. I am completely in love with their products. I actually ordered that exact flashlight for my supervisor last night (he didn't have internet access at his post, so he gave me cash and I placed the order from my post). The Hunter R2 is a 255 lumen flashlight, about the same size as a Surefire 6P. It comes with a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, charger, and a nylon duty belt holster, all for $90. You don't need to buy a belt holster, and you'll never need to buy another bulb or battery again, so it's actually a very good value. It also has a selector ring so you can set it to high, low, or strobe. It's an awesome light.

BTW, I am in no way affiliated with Liotec, I just fricken love their flashlights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
          Well, there went my suggestion. I only have a 3-cell Maglight LED. My sister got it for me as a birthday gift, bought it at Wal*Mart. It seems to work really well, has nice distance, and plenty of light output. I use not only at work, but for just about any job.

Just my two cents, but I really like it. Plus, I don't like paying $200 for a flashlight. I know all about paying more for batteries, but really, I don't. I buy a 6-pack once every 3-4 months, so ina year, I've paid close to $60, or somewhere around there. The batteries generally last me 2 to 3 months. Maybe 4 if I don't use that often.
          Just wanted to mention that the Liotec flashlight I referenced above, I've been using it for two years and am still going strong with the original battery. I charge it roughly twice a month. I don't just use it for security, either. It's my go-to flashlight for everything from working under the sink at home to pre-flighting a helicopter in the dark prior to a night flight.

Comment

5.11 Light for life. It's about average for GOOD rechargeable but exceeds the others capabilities by FAR. As they say, it will be the last you ever need to buy.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho...00:50000:50500

For cheap, Mag-light. You can buy a D-cell one and just purchase rechargeable battery stick's making it rechargeable. You can swap out the head for led or back and forth. Even with all this you should still be under the $50 price range. And it will still knock someone's teeth out should you not be allowed to carry a baton but are allowed to use this

For armed posts... use whatever mounts on your weapon or you can comfortably while holding the weapon at a ready position. You don't want something that will get in the way when you need it most. There are lots of preferences... but when it's a situation where your using your sidearm, USE WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU. If it's a damn searchlight or a simple pen light or NVG, use it

As for what to carry the flashlight with..... if it's a long light I HIGHLY recommend Safariland's leather light holster, problem is... as far as I know they don't make them anymore. I actually inherited mine off a friend's duty belt. I think it's from the early 90's... (has a 30 on the back) but it works so good it would be worth it to hunt it down. I used Dutyman leather one's before but the rivet's come out after a year and half to two years. They are good and cheap, but you get what you pay for. Carry a extra Dutyman, they are that cheap. With the rings I have lost lights before, 5 total. Leather Holster, never lost one.

Comment

I couldn't recommend the Jetbeam Jet-III M more highly I've carried one as my primary for around 12months+ it features...

* 2 modes 1 - Maximum/default (240Lm) 1 - User configurable (0.2~240 + strobe/SOS)
              * Flexible battery options 2 x Cr123a, 2 x RCR123, 18650 & 17670 (rechargeable Li-Ion)
              * Mode selection via bezel twist (no fumbling through modes via tailcap)
              * Water resistant to standard IPX8 (immersion beyond 1m)
              * Deep reflector design provides excellent balance of throw & spill/flood
              * Forward tailcap ON/OFF/Momentary

Jet-III M Review

The NRA light your colleague produced was likely a Leupold flashlight, I've seen them heavily promoted in the Aussie shooting/hunting magazines, oh & FWIW how far the lights "beam" reaches is a combination of focus, power emitted & reflector design (deeper for distance & shallower for flood)
              "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I love my Pelican 7060. It's bright, has good distance and recharges in about an hour and a half. It's lightwieght, and has a standard button and a tailcap button. It was designed for and in partnership with LAPD and is standard issue.

You can find one as cheap as $120 and it comes with a holder in your choice of plain leather, basketweave or nylon.
                "Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God" -Matthew 5:9

Comment

Which light, the UC3 400 or the PC3 300?
                  "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

This one is one that I have, not rechargable but the batteries last a good amount of time:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=506963

I have been using it for about 8 months, so far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by gf45acp View Post
                      This one is one that I have, not rechargable but the batteries last a good amount of time:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=506963

I have been using it for about 8 months, so far so good.
                      Several people on these forums will tell you to replace your CR123As with similar sized lion or nicad rechargeable.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
                        Which light, the UC3 400 or the PC3 300?
                        The 400 is a bit bigger than the 300 but has some advantages over the smaller one.

If size is a big issue, I would pick the smaller one. But for regular duty belt/patrol vehicle/home use I would prefer the larger 400 model. Also I think the charger on the 400 is MUCH better than the 300. It's only $10 extra for decent improvements in the light for people that don't mind the larger size.

Also... bigger size means more teeth you can knock out IF the circumstances should arise. I know when I was working in corrections, if they EVER tested my trusty mag-light for blood residue they would have had to sort through allot to find the one they were looking for... all legal conflicts mind you, and I do clean the light, but I'm sure there are bits I miss. Outside of corrections only used a light one time as a weapon against humans (LOTS against spiders and other things that come out at night) so I would say it's not to big a issue if it doesn't perform this function. It's not as heavy as a regular full sized... but the size is still there and rigidness.

I love the Mag-lights also, great time proven light. Even used mine underwater (probably went down up to 15-20 feet) for extended periods of time, and in salt water and no issues at all (to scared honestly to test the 5.11 completely underwater due to price but it's supposed to be the same). It's just this recharge capabilities/rechargeable battery life (overall) of this light (5.11) blow my socks off.

If I just wanted a light for looks rather than functionality... one of my brother's got this amazing looking light called a Gat Light I think (looks like a mini stainless steel Gatling gun). It's over $300 but damn fine, comes in a little box to boot. Mine is much more functional... but still this Gat would be good for someone with the cash to blow and just needed a little light around the house. He said it's German made, for the price I would hope so.

Comment

My job provides us with cr123's, but we provide our own lights.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                            Several people on these forums will tell you to replace your CR123As with similar sized lion or nicad rechargeable.
                            NiCD? Ewwwww... nasty old technology, NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) is the new standard in non lithium rechargeable cells preferably the LSD (Low Self Discharge) variety, in addition to their ability to retain charge they don't experience any associated battery "memory" problems which have plagued NiCD cells since their inception
                            Last edited by Maelstrom; 08-10-2010, 06:52 AM.
                            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by echo4serria View Post
                              Just wanted to mention that the Liotec flashlight I referenced above, I've been using it for two years and am still going strong with the original battery. I charge it roughly twice a month. I don't just use it for security, either. It's my go-to flashlight for everything from working under the sink at home to pre-flighting a helicopter in the dark prior to a night flight.
                              I'll take a peek at it. Might even order one. It seems like a good deal. Gotta see how the pay comes out (low hours bite).

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X