Is it a baton? Nope its a batonlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a baton? Nope its a batonlight

I recently purchased a Streamlight Batonlight just for fun (okay I admit I have an addiction for anything Streamlight) and realized that this little light is the perfect "mini light" or "task light" for unarmed security. Essentially what Streamlight did was take a metal Kubaton, drill out the center, put a LED operated flashlight into the drilled out core and combine to tools into one device. I like it because if you carry it at work and are unarmed, you are not carrying a weapon, rather you are carrying a flashlight that can be used as a improvised weapon if attacked. Anyways, I can't seem to find it on Streamlights website and all the other online reviews I found have rather old time stamps. So I am thinking that this little gem was discountinued by Streamlight, but if you can find one, I recommend it to any officer who is need of a small little LED task light.
    Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

We can add to your dual-purpose armamentarium, FR.

Is it an ordinary writing pen? Yes it is. When did Smith & Wesson get into the pen business? Wait - no it isn't just a pen.

http://www.botachtactical.com/smwemptapen.html

And when did Cold Steel start making pens? I thought they made knives.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Poc.../dp/B002GIZ8OW

Is it a keychain for cat lovers? Yes...well, no....

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/W...s-p-16464.html

Or is it a baseball cap? Of course!...but maybe not:

http://www.stylefeeder.com/i/qngz7sk...lf-Defense-Cap

No officer has to be "unarmed" (but check local laws, of course).

http://www.ehow.com/video_2368200_us...lfdefense.html - obviously, even better when the pen is designed for the purpose!

(Watch the series on improvised weapons, and never leave home without one) - http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_2285_s...d-weapons.html
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Thank you SecTrainer for sharing that link, I need buy some new pens anyway I will definately check them out.
      Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

I watched that video. I am firmly of the belief that in close quarters combat, you rapidly destroy the threat's ability to see and press the attack. "Deadening the knife arm" is great and all with a pen, but I'd rather control the elbow, and then destroy the enemy's ability to see me or get oxygen to his brain.

After you gouge out the <explitive deleted>'s eyes, crush the man's throat. See how well he can press the attack without sustained air to his brain.

As someone who experiences bouts of "shortness of breath," the only thing you care about is getting oxygenated blood to your brain. The requirement to breathe will trump just about all others.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
          I watched that video. I am firmly of the belief that in close quarters combat, you rapidly destroy the threat's ability to see and press the attack. "Deadening the knife arm" is great and all with a pen, but I'd rather control the elbow, and then destroy the enemy's ability to see me or get oxygen to his brain.

After you gouge out the <explitive deleted>'s eyes, crush the man's throat. See how well he can press the attack without sustained air to his brain.

As someone who experiences bouts of "shortness of breath," the only thing you care about is getting oxygenated blood to your brain. The requirement to breathe will trump just about all others.
          The other philosophy would be that the first thing you have to do is take care of that knife either by disarming or disabling. At close quarters, the opponent doesn't have to see you to continue stabbing and/or cutting you (he'll know where you are) - and he can do a lot of damage before he runs of air.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
            The other philosophy would be that the first thing you have to do is take care of that knife either by disarming or disabling. At close quarters, the opponent doesn't have to see you to continue stabbing and/or cutting you (he'll know where you are) - and he can do a lot of damage before he runs of air.
            My first goal is to control the weapon. Even if it stays in the hand of an assailant, I want to decide where it goes. I practiced Krav Maga on and off and really like their techniques. For example, using a Judo wrist lock put isolate a knife hand, with your chest to that arm, and being able to deliver elbows directly to the face/head/carotid artery/throat to fully incapacitate your assailant. Having their arm stretched across your body prevents them from being able to swing or maneuver at all. Also, if the assailant tries to attack with the free arm, they get met with more elbow strikes.From that position, you also have the advantage of being able to deliver knees to the groin and gut or do a heel takedown and get the assailant into cuffs. We had to adapt KM to the job since the primary goal of "true" combat KM is to maim or kill your opponent.
            Last edited by CTEXSEC1; 06-15-2010, 04:36 PM.
            A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Originally posted by CTEXSEC1 View Post
              My first goal is to control the weapon.
              I agree.

I practiced Krav Maga on and off and really like their techniques....
              KM is my personal favorite for several reasons, not the least of which is that it is effective, and the basic techniques can be taught quite rapidly compared to other disciplines. As you properly note, the more violent aspects should be reserved for those with a demonstrated need - i.e., executive protection folks working in high-risk situations.

Comment

A Streamlight fan eh? I can understand that (I'm fond of Surefire products), wouldn't a light that screwed into the end of your baton ie. ASP Baton light be a better compromise?
                "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                  A Streamlight fan eh? I can understand that (I'm fond of Surefire products), wouldn't a light that screwed into the end of your baton ie. ASP Baton light be a better compromise?
                  My uncle always joked about drilling out a Louisville Slugger and installing a 2AA Mag in the grip end for his "home security system."
                  A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                    Not really, we are not allowed to be armed, carrying a Streamlight Batonlight is pushing it it, outright carrying an ASP with a light attached would clearly be in violation of company and client policy. I do like SureFire too, I have an old G2 with an aftermarket LED upgrade that is just amazingly bright.

Comment

Originally posted by FireRanger View Post
                      outright carrying an ASP with a light attached would clearly be in violation of company and client policy.
                      Oh a straight out O&R company? OR we want you to be as proactive as our "underwriter" permits... I suppose an upgraded (emitter) 3D Maglite would contravene policy as well?
                      Last edited by Maelstrom; 06-25-2010, 03:59 AM.
                      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Our site is very O&R, a 3D maglite would not be prohibitied nor would a 6D maglite, because they are flashlights regardless of size.

Comment

Our site is very O&R, a 3D maglite would not be prohibitied nor would a 6D maglite, because they are flashlights regardless of size.
                          That's reassuring

Comment

Simple solution: Sig P229 with a Tac-Lite It's a flashlight that just happened to come with a handgun attached.

Comment

Originally posted by CTEXSEC1 View Post
                              Simple solution: Sig P229 with a Tac-Lite It's a flashlight that just happened to come with a handgun attached.
                              Yeah that'll work! LOL

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X