Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nylon or Leather

what duty belt do you prefer ?

I like leather because of the look, but it can get heavy, but it can be more supportive that nylon....

I like Nylon because it wont rot like leather if it gets wet, but nylon is very flexible and provides less support, and rips easy...
    When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

I like molded nylon duty gear. Specifically, Bianchi Accumold. If you want the leather look without the problems of leather, you have several options. Accumold Elite, Safariland's Safari-Laminate (Which isn't leather, and hasn't been in 20 years), or any other of the Kydex/Nylon strands.

I've not had a problem with Accumold gear tearing.

For holsters, I only have one brand. Safariland, in Fine-Tac finish. Its made of Safari-laminate, and will resist most problems. Since its Fine-Tac, the clarino can't peel off, and it "looks like" nylon.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leather for looks. Nylon for comfort.

You do have to disinfect nylon for Blood Borne Pathogens if it comes in contact with bodily fluids..

I'm wearing Bianchi Auccumold Elite........... Weight of nylon with look and feel of leather
      http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

I prefer nylon for the comfort, roughness and it's ability to take a lot of abuse and not worry about looks in regards to scrapes, gashes and so on. I have to wear what old school called pimp leather (high gloss). It's a pain to keep clean and nick free and it's stiff as a board. And its not leather which really makes it uncomfortable. I think for dress uniform its fine but not for general duty wear.
        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Accumold Elite - Looks "VERY NICE" i might invest in some for my next duty gear rig :P if the uniform store near my carries some, i might ask my boss to put it on the corp account and deduct from my pay check till its paid off.... as ill be needing a whole rig and cant afford to pop down 400.oo out of pocket right now
          When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

Comment

Started with the Nylon they issue to us. I found it more comfortable than leather but, due to all we have on our duty belt (weighs in at about 25lbs) it still gets mighty uncomfortable on the hips.

So I went with a Tactical Design Labs Professional Comfort System in Ballistic Weave. The Extended Duty Support System makes lugging all that around a lot more comfortable, especially with the lumbar support. Had it for about 18 months now. There are a half-dozen or so of us that wear them now. Can't beat it for comfort IMO.

If your interested you can find it here: http://www.tdlabs.com/catalog.htm

For the record - I have no connections to TD Labs other than as a customer.
            "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

That inside the duty belt support likes interesting. But it fits between the duty belt and trouser belt. My problem is the trousers belt biting into me rather then the duty belt its self.
              My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
                That inside the duty belt support likes interesting. But it fits between the duty belt and trouser belt. My problem is the trousers belt biting into me rather then the duty belt its self.
                It is a three belt system (if you choose that option). The third, or under belt, is worn in place of your trousers belt. The underbelt is soft and pliable and allows the support belt to adhere (like velcro) to it, thereby not requiring keepers to hold your duty belt in place (making removing it much faster and easier).
                "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

So would that work (support belt) with high gloss as far as comfort?

Comment

Oh my, you opened up one of those Ford/Chevy debates. Honestly, both have their own advantages & disadvantages. I have worn both, but I have found leather to last longer if you take the proper steps to care for it. If I worked marine or bike patrol, then Nylon is obviously the way to go. I agree that leather is heavier, so that is clearly one of the disadvantages.
                    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

I prefer leather when I use a narrow leather belt. If I'm going to wear a 2-1/2" duty belt, I like nylon because it's flexible, wears well, and doesn't crush my back when I have to get in the car or sit in a chair.

My duty belt is for private in-house security and my leather belt and accessories is for contract security.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

At our hospital we all wear nylon. I prefer it, for comfort, as opposed to my old leather belt, so no complaints here.
                        ========================================
                        Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out! - Unknown

Comment

For a while i was switching from Accumold nylon to Accumold elite basketweave. I have since sold the entire basketweave set and settled just for the nylon. I feel it is more comfortable and durable then the leather.
                          Robert
                          Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by Arff312
                            For a while i was switching from Accumold nylon to Accumold elite basketweave. I have since sold the entire basketweave set and settled just for the nylon. I feel it is more comfortable and durable then the leather.

Accumold Elite isn't leather. Its a tightly woven nylon spun woven at 10000 times the weeve of regular nylon
                            http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Its basically fake leather made out of ballistic nylon. We used to call the Uncle Mike's Mirage stuff "car leather."
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X