No announcement yet.

CamelBaks on Patrol??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes it may be one of your 4 bosses and/or the BoD's problem to ensure their staff have the proper PPE. However if one of your staff gets hurt, I am sure that whomever is the responsible party will quickly pull out and reference a policy that shows how it was your fault for not protecting your employee. Most large organizations are like that, literally hundreds if not thousands of policies that only HR and the CEO and other C level types know about. They are there for CYA, to ensure they highly paid keep their job and pay rates when bad things happen within their companies. I was once told by my HR person that there are so many policies at my company that if HR ever wanted to get rid of someone, it would only be a matter of time before they found enough violations of company policy to do it. I would suggest talking to your bosses and finding out who is in charge of occupational safety and talking to them to ensure YOU are compliant.
    Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

Originally posted by CTEXSEC1 View Post
      It's times like this that I have to shake my head at OSHA. I grew up on a farm in Texas and played football until a neck injury my senior year of high school. There was nothing to "protect" us from the big, bad sun. You sucked it up, worked through it, and drank water. I will never understand why it is the employer's responsibility to make sure the employee is smart enough to drink water. That said, I still try to provide whatever breaks I can. My old man was a hard one and it shows in how I do my job. I cannot expect people to work like I do. I just want them to give it a good, consistent effort. If an officer tells me it's too damn hot, I will pull them inside and cover their post. I will do what I can to make their job less difficult. The PPE for hot weather is definitely a new one me. Perhaps that is because I don't deal with that side of security. I am just the supervisor, nothing more than a peon with a few stripes. In a university setting, I have 4 bosses + a BoD to deal with. I assume that is their problem.
      There is a difference between a person who for a lack of a better term does not drink water and a person who has neither access to water and is refused the right to carry a usable vessel to have accessible water. This is the core of the discussion in my opinion, the making sure the guard drinks water is irreverent the fact that water is accessible to them is. While down in Texas you deal with a dry heat in Maryland days of 70-80 percent humidity are common for the summer months and even drinking a lot more water then usual, I have still have gotten heat exhaustion. For most guards here on the board know that its like pulling teeth to get equipment issued to you in a timely manner. Depending on when you started is what your issued. Even with short sleeve shirts how long to do you think your going to last in 90 degree heat with 80 percent humidity wearing a black poly/rayon blend shirt with out access to water?
      Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
      Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by psycosteve View Post
        There is a difference between a person who for a lack of a better term does not drink water and a person who has neither access to water and is refused the right to carry a usable vessel to have accessible water. This is the core of the discussion in my opinion, the making sure the guard drinks water is irreverent the fact that water is accessible to them is. While down in Texas you deal with a dry heat in Maryland days of 70-80 percent humidity are common for the summer months and even drinking a lot more water then usual, I have still have gotten heat exhaustion. For most guards here on the board know that its like pulling teeth to get equipment issued to you in a timely manner. Depending on when you started is what your issued. Even with short sleeve shirts how long to do you think your going to last in 90 degree heat with 80 percent humidity wearing a black poly/rayon blend shirt with out access to water?

They have plenty of access to water. A few of our guys just asked if they could use CamelBaks for convenience. I am fine with it, I just wanted input from others.

And apparently you have never been to Texas. I am from Houston, average humidity: 93%. I live/work in Austin, average humidity: mid-80%. That's year-round. I am all too familiar with heat stroke and exhaustion.

As far as equipment goes, we are lucky enough to have a pretty good supplier. All officers are issued new gear before first shift.
        A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Nice...........

Comment

When I worked nuclear security the site would supply water at certain posts on hot days. Industrial coolers are great. That way guards are not getting heat stress when they are stuck at a post with no relief. It was nice to be able to get water.

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/atco99..._term=ATCO9925

Comment

Originally posted by FPO_Officer View Post
              Nice...........
              Umm....thanks?
              A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

Get one of those babies attached to their duty belts! can't go wrong with a good old fashioned army water bottle.
                The above it a standard British army water bottle, I've got one pretty much the same that my father gave to me after he left active service with the Royal Air Force.
                It served me well when I needed it most and most of them come with a holder with a big enough belt clip for your duty belt.

----UPDATE----

Here's another example.
                Last edited by Ewfr 'Gomulee; 05-31-2010, 01:28 AM.
                Ewfr 'Gomulee - EuwFer 'Gom-You-Lee
                Court Security Officer - Her Majesty's Courts Service HMCS

Comment

I won't subject my crew to the GI water bowls. I hate those things.

Also, under our new policy, my crew is also responsible for pseudo-first responder duty. I like the CamelBak idea because it allows them to pack on some of the necessary gear.

Comment

Do you boys have some patrol cars?
                    On my duty belt I've got three pouches for first aid, everything I need but a defibrilator.
                    I'm not sure I'd want to walk around with one of those Camelbak bags on but I can see why it'd be a good idea to buy one.

I'll stick to my G.I water bottle I think :P
                    Ewfr 'Gomulee - EuwFer 'Gom-You-Lee
                    Court Security Officer - Her Majesty's Courts Service HMCS

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X