Nextel users.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick51a
    I've had cases where my Nextel wouldn't talk to the one across the room. Several "dead zones" where I work. I personally like the regualr two-way radio system. Much easier to yell for help when I'm fighting, or running.

Rick
    Then again, I've had the same problems with two way radios. It all boils down to, how many people are you going to talk, and where are they?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
      Yep...

My nextel didnt fit on my duty belt, so I took it off and set it on my trunk while hooking up the boat... apparently... I forgot about it. Later that day, I had another one (both PD issued) but I dropped it in the lake while stepping off the boat.

Haha that is funny. I am sure a certain commander probably had a vein pop out when he found out about that. I remember when a certain CSO first started there it was my job to train him on the boat. He told me he had towed a trailer hundreds of times so I let him hook up the trailer unsupervised. Big mistake. As he was driving down Lacey Blvd to turn onto Ruddell we heard this thump. Turns out the trailer came unhitched from the expedition in the middle of the road . He apparently forgot to push the lever down locking the trailer onto the hitch.

Comment

Would that certain person happen to have a first name that started with S and ended with N??
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Rick51a
          I've had cases where my Nextel wouldn't talk to the one across the room. Several "dead zones" where I work. I personally like the regualr two-way radio system. Much easier to yell for help when I'm fighting, or running.

Rick

Rick I totaly agree with you on that. My personal nor my work nextel works in the basements of any of our buildings on Campus. We are looking into getting on the MSP Digital Radio System. We are working on getting money and grants for that..
          http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
            Would that certain person happen to have a first name that started with S and ended with N??
            Not a first name, but a last name that started with S and ended with N

Comment

Hmmm... drawing a complete blank on that one.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

This is not a plug for WallyWorld, Verizon or SimpleFreedom, but may be of interest to someone looking for dependable celfone service.

In spring of 2004 I purchased a Nokia 3587i celfone ($40 at the time) and SimpleFreedom service at WallyWorld. I buy a $20, 80 minute refill card about every sixty days. The minutes roll over if you refill prior to the sixty day limit. Using the celfone on a limited basis, I have a lot of minutes saved up. I have been told the service is thru Verizon.

During Hurricane Ivan and a few other disasters, in several instances my celfone was the only dependable link we had with the "outside world". Not a high dollar celfone and not fashionable service, but it sure has been dependable all over the country.

Comment

Verizon inherited a lot of Bell and GTE distribution points. They build to GTE and Bell specs, and don't cut corners. They have to, the security of the nation may rest on the availability of the POTS during a nuclear exchange.

Our Plain Old Telephone System has been linked in to the Federal Government with "secret" exchanges (usually in the 900s) since its inception. The Bell Telephone System was responsible for keeping the system operational during the possibility of a nuclear exchange, so that the President would have as many communication options as possible to relay a retalliation or launch order to NORAD.

Even today, telephone company computers recongize the federal Flash Traffic authenticator and will drop all other traffic (voice/data) for a Flash message.

When you have that riding on you for 50+ years, you usually build such things as backup generators, fuel depots, etc. If you've ever noticed, telephone substations and central stations are built of brick, have heavy steel doors, and are always low to the ground. I believe these are vaults designed to withstand an indirect nuclear blast.

Several phone techs have told me that when bad weather hit, they would usually take refuge with their families in "the vault," where the exchange equipment is. They considered it the safest place they knew.

The other cell phone companies didn't start out as local exchange companies, to my knowledge. They were long distance carriers, who weren't responsible for the infrastructure, only long haul lines. So, why would they build so meticiliously with their redundant systems at the local level?

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I didn't read all the previous replies, mainly because I just woke up and my eyes are still trying to focus

I hate Nextel. Can't stand them. The battery power sucks, and the phones in general are crap. I've had 4 company phones (one of them was the i60 and the i730, now have the 830) that always had some sort of problem. Even the newer ones do. Screens will stop working, stuff like that.

Also, the signal is pretty bad. We constantly get "user not available C0" or whatever it is. Or "the nextel customer you are trying to reach is not available. please wait...." oooooooooo that's annoying!

Comment

Just catching up on threads excuse bringing up old threads, just adding my two cents

I have t-mobile for my personal cell and nextel issued by my company, the direct connect functions great. But the regular service in certain areas really stinks, two spots I pass going/coming from work "NO SERVICE" for about a mile?

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Xtreme
                        Just catching up on threads excuse bringing up old threads, just adding my two cents

I have t-mobile for my personal cell and nextel issued by my company, the direct connect functions great. But the regular service in certain areas really stinks, two spots I pass going/coming from work "NO SERVICE" for about a mile?
                        Does the DC and/or Group mode work in those areas? Also, does your Nextel have a stub antenna or is it one of the big antenna ones? I've noticed that if DC mode works, then the phone is reaching a tower.

It could be that you entered an area that they don't have tower access in. Around here, there's enough interference in downtown from the old brick and mortice buildings that my phone in cell mode hates getting signal. DC mode works ok, though.

Comment

Simple Freedom is through Altell. It a pretty dependable service.Ive never had a dropped call.
                          "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X