Nextel users.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nextel users.

Just interested to know how many of you are Nextel users and how do you find their service?

Me, my family, and nearly everyone I work with use it. Everyone frowns on the guard using a cel, but if they're using the Next-hell, it must be official...Right?

I like it okay, but in outlying areas (like where we live), if there's only one tower, you can get bonked (user not available) a lot.

If you get it, and travel to way out-of-the-way places frequently, get a unit with the non-network DirectTalk.

Comment

Nextels are ok. I used one at the last company I worked at and they seemed to be effective. The problem lies in the fact that their output power is not as powerful as that of a radio. If your doing patrol its fine, but if your inside buildings a lot I wouldn't recommend them as there not powerful enough to penetrate several floors of concrete and steel. Also, another disadvantage to them is they combine radio and cell phone. Thats not normally a bad thing unless you got some lower quality officers that will abuse the cell and make calls. I wish Nextel would make an adapter for vehicles that would allow it to be used as a mobile radio (portable radios have an adaptor similar). All in all nextels are a good investment, like everything they have their ups and downs. One piece of advice, if you choose to get nextells make sure their made to mil spec, otherwise they will break easy.

Comment

One thing you have to keep in mind with Nextels is that half the stuff Sprint is selling is consumer. They (Motorola) makes Nextel gear for public safety applications. You just have to ask for it.

Example: The i3X5 series pushes out 4 watts, has its own "talkabout" mode compatible with other Motorola iDEN public safety radios, and has "priority override" which can knock other nextel users off the trunk to get a clear signal.

I carry an i60 right now, it doesn't operate well in my apartment. The i355 I want, while not looking like a "cell phone" will get out of my apartment easily. Motorola makes radios that think their cell phones, as well as cell phones that think their radios.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I can absolutely confirm that if a nextel is either... A) Falls off the back of your patrol car at the intersection of 22nd and Ruddell road in Lacey WA and is ran over by a car... or B) Falls off your duty belt into a lake on that same day only seven hours later...

They will both be destroyed.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

We were supposed to get them last year but the budget was scraped. I see a lot of government people using the Verzion service here. Most of the counties public safety agencies broke thier contracts with Nextel because of the '04 storms. No one could talk to anyone because Nextel had no back up generators for thier towers. The towers survived the storms but not the systems that powerd them. Verizon was going strong the whole time and police and fire were borrowing civillians Verizon talkies to get help at times when they could not find a pay phone or cell that was working.
            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
              We were supposed to get them last year but the budget was scraped. I see a lot of government people using the Verzion service here. Most of the counties public safety agencies broke thier contracts with Nextel because of the '04 storms. No one could talk to anyone because Nextel had no back up generators for thier towers. The towers survived the storms but not the systems that powerd them. Verizon was going strong the whole time and police and fire were borrowing civillians Verizon talkies to get help at times when they could not find a pay phone or cell that was working.
              I was told that too. Polk County is going with Verizon Wireless, as well, for their data services. Of course, they're also doing a multi-million dollar revamp of their IT and CAD system, so they can afford to break contract.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Not gonna get into how well service is for nextel just depends where you are, but I will say this, nextel does have it so you can get just the direct connect and no cell service (our duty nextels are like that, don't agree with it and trying to change it) also you can permantly mount a nextel in a vehicle for use as a mobile 'radio' they cell kits for it with a handset and all. They also sell handset to use if you keep it portable (like a radio handset, thinking about buying one if so I will let you know how it works)

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                  I can absolutely confirm that if a nextel is either... A) Falls off the back of your patrol car at the intersection of 22nd and Ruddell road in Lacey WA and is ran over by a car... or B) Falls off your duty belt into a lake on that same day only seven hours later...

They will both be destroyed.

You weren't going to Hicks Lake were you hehe. When I did boat patrol on that lake, I wore BDU shorts. I was dumb enough to put my cell phone (a verizon) in my thigh pocket. Wadded out several times up to mid thigh to check the boat. Finally donned on me that "oh crap my phone is underwater". Sure enough pulled the phone out and water was pouring out of it. Took the battery off and let it dry out when I got home. Next day, it worked just fine. Never had it get left on a patrol car, but it did get smashed in the van doors at an accident scene once. I couldn't destry that damn thing

Comment

Yep...

My nextel didnt fit on my duty belt, so I took it off and set it on my trunk while hooking up the boat... apparently... I forgot about it. Later that day, I had another one (both PD issued) but I dropped it in the lake while stepping off the boat.
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
                      ....Most of the counties public safety agencies broke thier contracts with Nextel because of the '04 storms. No one could talk to anyone because Nextel had no back up generators for thier towers. The towers survived the storms but not the systems that powerd them. Verizon was going strong the whole time and police and fire were borrowing civillians Verizon talkies to get help at times when they could not find a pay phone or cell that was working.
                      That's the problem w/ cell phones in general. When NE had its major power grid failure in 2003, they were worthless. Better have 2-ways as back up.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                        That's the problem w/ cell phones in general. When NE had its major power grid failure in 2003, they were worthless. Better have 2-ways as back up.
                        The problem with 2-ways is their limited range. They're great if your a single site (Why use nextel if all you're doing is talking to the guy next to you?), but for long range networks spanning cities or states, you need some kind of repeater coverage.

The police and sheriff's radio networks died. They needed something, anything, that worked. So, they used Verizon.

Motorola makes "MotoTalk" capable (Its Talkabout on 476, I think) Nextel radios. They're technically not really Nextels, they're iDEN Public Safety Radios that are Nextel Compatible. The i355 and i375 is a good example of this. Sprint sells them, a Sprint rep tried to shove them down my throat, but I'm kinda sold on em. Cheaper than the bling phones, and look like walkie-talkies, fit in duty radio cases, and more importantly: Pack a lot more wattage than your average user's RAZR.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
                          Nextels are ok. I used one at the last company I worked at and they seemed to be effective. The problem lies in the fact that their output power is not as powerful as that of a radio. If your doing patrol its fine, but if your inside buildings a lot I wouldn't recommend them as there not powerful enough to penetrate several floors of concrete and steel.
                          http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/

Comment

Good Signature!

The only thing that history consistently proves is that people don't learn from past mistakes- Maggie
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I've had cases where my Nextel wouldn't talk to the one across the room. Several "dead zones" where I work. I personally like the regualr two-way radio system. Much easier to yell for help when I'm fighting, or running.

Rick

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X