Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body armour-help!

I'm a COMPLETE newbie when it comes to body armour so please help me out;

I'm switching security companies, and the company I'm working for is requiring me to wear an external bulletproof vest (level II suggested). I've seen terms like "carrier", "trauma plates", etc.. but I'm not sure what exactly they are. From what I can tell, a vest is simply trauma plates that are inserted into an internal or external carrier. Is that correct?

I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

So if I understand you correctly there are two different types of inserts-panels, and plates? I'm guessing that the panels go on the front and back and the plates protect the vitals?

Comment

In essence, yes... Although most vests only have a slot on the front for a trauma plate...

Did I read that correctly, that they want you to wear an EXTERNAL vest? As in, outside your shirt, similar to a military flak jacket? What kind of site is this?
        Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
        Originally posted by ValleyOne
        BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
        Shoulda called in sick.
        Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
          In essence, yes... Although most vests only have a slot on the front for a trauma plate...

Did I read that correctly, that they want you to wear an EXTERNAL vest? As in, outside your shirt, similar to a military flak jacket? What kind of site is this?
          That's right, external. Mainly for special events involving drunken individuals.

Comment

Wow... must be a pretty bad area if they're worried about drunks opening fire..

I've never looked into the external vests, myself... But my understanding is the panels are basically the same.. Just a different carrier...

Be sure to look into vests that have wrap-around (aka side protection) panels, rather than just the front & back... If you're standing in a bladed stance when talking to someone, and they open fire, you dont want the gap in your protection pointing right at them...

Only other advice I can give is to shop around... Because these things ARE expensive... But enough searching can give great rewards... I picked up my Level III vest for $479... Still a good chunk of change, but better than the $1000+ some places wanted..
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
              Wow... must be a pretty bad area if they're worried about drunks opening fire..

I've never looked into the external vests, myself... But my understanding is the panels are basically the same.. Just a different carrier...

Be sure to look into vests that have wrap-around (aka side protection) panels, rather than just the front & back... If you're standing in a bladed stance when talking to someone, and they open fire, you dont want the gap in your protection pointing right at them...

Only other advice I can give is to shop around... Because these things ARE expensive... But enough searching can give great rewards... I picked up my Level III vest for $479... Still a good chunk of change, but better than the $1000+ some places wanted..
              I'm not really worried about drunks opening fire (this is Ottawa, after all..), but we've had problems where they've used beer bottles as melee/stabbing weapons.

Comment

There was a woman here that made external carriers from old uniform shirts. They were sharp. I never got one but now I wish I had.
                sigpic

Comment

A company in Florida uses external carriers for the intimidation factor. Since he's in Canada, if I remember correctly, this will also make him look more like RCMP if they're still wearing the external carriers. Drunk being less likely to play because RCMP might hit em with pepper spray.

Basically, what you are doing is having to buy a "tactical" carrier. You can either buy your standard concealable armor, then a seperate "tactical" carrier from that manufacturer, and switch them out. Or, you can buy a Protech or Safariland tactical carrier vest.

The problem with most of the tactical carrier vests stocked in catalog shops is that they are marked POLICE or SHERIFF, and therefore you have to produce sworn ID to purchase them.

As far as the trauma plate, it is either designed to defeat edged weapons (hard plate made of zinc), or it is designed to soften the blow of incoming fire over the sternum (soft pack made of kevlar).

Tactical carriers may or may not support them.

If you are NOT going to be shot at, look at Correctional Stab Vests, which will protect you better from edged weapon/shiv attack. The beer bottle, btw, is a shiv.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by bigshotceo
                    I'm not really worried about drunks opening fire (this is Ottawa, after all..), but we've had problems where they've used beer bottles as melee/stabbing weapons.
                    Do a lot of Security wear vests in Ottawa? The company I work for owns the Plaza de la Chaudiere in Gatineau & a few buildings in downtown Ottawa. The last time I was there for a business trip I noticed that a lot of Security seemed to be wearing them. Here in Montreal they are still rare & we are definitely a more violent city than you!
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Don't know where you're planning on buying from but these sites will get you a good idea on prices (in USD, not loonies or whatever you use up there J/K) the second site explains armor pretty well too!

http://botac.com/bodyarmor.html
                      www.bulletproofme.com

Comment

Stay Away From Botac!

Originally posted by ff000525
                        Don't know where you're planning on buying from but these sites will get you a good idea on prices (in USD, not loonies or whatever you use up there J/K) the second site explains armor pretty well too!

http://botac.com/bodyarmor.html
                        www.bulletproofme.com
                        I had nothing but problems from Botac. They screw up orders, don't answer the phone, don't ship in a timely manner, and it took them six months to respond to my BBB complaint. They have a BBB "F" rating.

Botac BBB Page
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Tennsix, I was just gonna order a flashlight from them.......

Comment

Buy armor from Quartermaster, 200 bucks for Level II. (Level II is the "lightest" armor level they sell, btw.)
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

http://www.911gear.ca/ This company is in Toronto.
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X