No announcement yet.

Weapons on the Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even though I know you need weapons, I am quite envious of your talk of batons, tasers and firearms.

In New Zealand only the police can carry a weapon of any sort in public, and the only weapons they usually carry are ASP batons and/or PR24s, and pepper spray. They have acess to Glock pistols and Bushmaster rifles, but don't carry them on patrol unless they need them. Tasers have recently been intorduced on trial.

Security officers in NZ are not permitted to carry any weapons at all, that means no batons, no spray, and definetely no firearms or tasers. We aren't even allowed to wear a bullet/stab proof vest which has always seemd strange to me, I can't see how a security guard would missuse or injure someone with a vest unless he took it off and beat someone with it.

We have no more powers here than any normal citizen in most cases, though in quite a few areas some security officers have municiple enforcement powers to deal with noise and animal control laws. However the security with those powers still have no authority to carry weapons, and allthough they deal with some offences that are arrestable they can't make an arrest. They have to ask a police officer to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Will57
      Even though I know you need weapons, I am quite envious of your talk of batons, tasers and firearms.

In New Zealand only the police can carry a weapon of any sort in public, and the only weapons they usually carry are ASP batons and/or PR24s, and pepper spray. They have acess to Glock pistols and Bushmaster rifles, but don't carry them on patrol unless they need them. Tasers have recently been intorduced on trial.

Security officers in NZ are not permitted to carry any weapons at all, that means no batons, no spray, and definetely no firearms or tasers. We aren't even allowed to wear a bullet/stab proof vest which has always seemd strange to me, I can't see how a security guard would missuse or injure someone with a vest unless he took it off and beat someone with it.

We have no more powers here than any normal citizen in most cases, though in quite a few areas some security officers have municiple enforcement powers to deal with noise and animal control laws. However the security with those powers still have no authority to carry weapons, and allthough they deal with some offences that are arrestable they can't make an arrest. They have to ask a police officer to do it.
      I imagine New Zealand law comes from British law like Canada's does. In Canada there are extra powers for the owner of a property & people authorized by the owner of the property. We can arrest without a warrant for ANY criminal offence we see being committed on or to our property. This is even more power than the police have. Does New Zealand not give extra powers of arrest to property owners?
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
        Does New Zealand not give extra powers of arrest to property owners?
        No! A New Zealand citizen has no special powers on or off their own property. We have citizen arrest powers, but these are restricted to actually witnessing an offence at night for which the maximum punishment is at least three years jail. That means basically theft of large amounts, car theft, robbery of a large amount. But oddly it doesn't include assaults or many other violent crimes unless they result in seriouis harm.

A property owner who uses force to protect his property, or who presents a weapon such as a knife or a gun at an offender on his property will himself be arrested and charged by the police.

A security guard who uses force to detain an offender, or who arrests someone who has committed a crime not defined under permitted citizen arrests regs will also be charged by police with assault/false arrest/deprivation of liberty. All of which can result in a jail term.

For most of us it's just not worth catching offenders, if they want to run off then too bad, smart guards will let them go. Of course there are plenty of keen guards who do jump in and grab hold of criminals, and get into quite violent confrontations with them. But these guys don't usually stay long on the job.

Here's an example of the weird way in which the laws work in NZ.

A security guard carrying cash into a bank was held up by an armed assailent. The robber made the mistake of shooting the guard with the pistol, which turned out to be an air pellet gun. Although slightly injured by the pellet which hit him in the face the guard grappled with the robber who tried to run off. In the struggle the guard wrestled the pellet gun from the robber, and bashed him over the back of the head with it as the robber turned to go.

The robber was convicted with attempted aggravated robbery, assault with intent to injure, and possesion of an offensive weapon in a public place.

The guard was convicted of assault casing actual bodily harm, becauseit was deemed that when he hit the robber in the head he was no longer in any danger as the robber had given up trying to rob him and was trying to flee the scene.

Next time give him the money and forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
          How many of you security guards are armed? How did it feel if you were around for a switch from unarmed to armed (or switching from a unarmed job to an armed job). Also, the Tazer, useful or never used?
          thanks
          I was an armed Guard in the early 80's, a different time for sure. Going to armed work, I remember feeling a bit more aware of my surroundings and even the words I used. Trying to be professional, not a Police man was the goal.
          Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
            I was an armed Guard in the early 80's, a different time for sure. Going to armed work, I remember feeling a bit more aware of my surroundings and even the words I used. Trying to be professional, not a Police man was the goal.
            An armed guard in Ontario Were you working armoured car?

Comment

sweet....

i will be ordering soon...

Comment

Originally posted by sever104
                i will be ordering soon...
                You had best read up on Florida Statute and your insurance policy if you want to arm your employees with anything more than a trouser belt.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
                  concealed weapons permits are nearly impossibly to attain in California.
                  Not quite true. It all depends on what county you live in. I agree LA county is about the worst, second only to SF county. But counties like Placer, Shasta, Orange, among others pretty much issue to anyone who is not a prohibited possessor and completes the required training, although it is still "Discretionary Issue".

www.packing.org
                  "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    You had best read up on Florida Statute and your insurance policy if you want to arm your employees with anything more than a trouser belt.
                    Yeah, LOL. That's akin to telling a life insurance underwriter that you have a history of diabetes. $$$$$$$$$$
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I'm authorized, and certified to carry:

Semi-auto pistol
                      AR15 M4 carbine (any rifle)
                      Shotgun
                      Revolver
                      16" expanding baton
                      Pepper spray
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Heck, I have to disarm to goto work. Off duty I'm loaded down. I am on vacation, just had dinner with my father and was carrying a (leegally) concealed .380 pistol on one hip and a 2oz bottle of Freeze +P CS/OC spray in an Uncle Mikes nylon carrier on my other hip. Not to mention the folding knife with the 5 inch serrated blade in my pocket. I feel practically naked at work.
                        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

The post I work is a nice, quiet plastics factory. No real need for anything. Not really. All we really do is greet workers, truck drivers and visitors at the gate, pass out safety glasses and hearing protection, occasionally go into the plant to pick up paperwork to be scanned, and that's about it.

Rather mundane, all in all.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                            Heck, I have to disarm to goto work. Off duty I'm loaded down. I am on vacation, just had dinner with my father and was carrying a (leegally) concealed .380 pistol on one hip and a 2oz bottle of Freeze +P CS/OC spray in an Uncle Mikes nylon carrier on my other hip. Not to mention the folding knife with the 5 inch serrated blade in my pocket. I feel practically naked at work.
                            Freindly place

Comment

Our company has a weapons free policy They figure things dont happen often enough to equip us with anything. Sorry, I dont believe in having a defenseless Security Officer.

Recently, someone downtown at corporate suggested we demo a Tiger Truck to save fuel. That thing is an accident waiting to happen. When told about the possibility that someone could get really hurt or killed if ever in an accident in that, that someone said, "how often does that happen?" That Tiger Truck is cheap. Run fast and far from it.
                              "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Someone at Corporate should look at the GM GEM platform, which are electric cars which actually seem to work well. I dislike those mini trucks, drove one at a USCG base. Any Coasties here know exactly what I mean, they were called carts.

Most "weapons free" policies are just there to minimize liability, lower insurance rates, and save cost by not having to train you on the weapons authorized to carried.
                                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X