Weapons on the Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
    In the words of my FTO: "How many times have you walked down the street and seen someone kickin their own ass?"

The exact reason I always carry multiple sets of cuffs.
    Back in the day, I started with one pair, went to 2 pair, and finally settled on those plastic thingys. That is to say, I had 2 pair of regular cuffs, and a pouch with the plastic tie wraps.

But now I work a nice quiet post, all I need is my laptop and some DVDs to while away the night.

Comment

• Originally posted by knotquiteawake View Post
      concealed weapons permits are nearly impossibly to attain in California.
      Maryland is the same way. Seems like you either need to be a cop, a retired cop, or carry $50,000 in cash to get a CWP in Maryland.

Drive 10 miles to Pennsylvania and you can just go to the courthouse and get one. Go figure.

Comment

• The message

I seem to see comments that say "I am not in favor of armed Guards" called Security Officers here in Florida.

A question, how can you protect yourself against an armed assailant?

Keep Safe.

Comment

• Originally posted by davis002 View Post
          Why on earth do you need to carry 2 flashlights?
          I knew one company that actually required it (2 lights). I would guess in case one died.
          THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bern Wheaton View Post
            I have been a arm and UN arm Security Officer,We were allowed to carry 38.and some company's let us carry our own which allot of us did ,which were the 357 SW but with 38 rounds. But I found if you can talk your way out of anything you got a better chance then using the weapon. I have only Pulled my weapon once .But once you pull it out of it holster you better be ready to use it and not question it! The same with a billy club there only for self defense and to deterrent.As a police officer told me once you can run away your not paid enough to get yourself killed !And call us!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
            That's why some of the Florida regs are silly. If you mean run off the company premises 1 the company can/will terminate you, 2 The state can take your license for leaving a post.

Another side of this coin is you are working security as a pt job. You get off at 0700. You have to be at your ft job at 0730 which is 15 minute drive. Yet the company hired a warm body who is late,you can't leave and it's 0800. What do you do?
            THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

• Originally posted by gixxer32404 View Post
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------
              That's why some of the Florida regs are silly. If you mean run off the company premises 1 the company can/will terminate you, 2 The state can take your license for leaving a post.

Another side of this coin is you are working security as a pt job. You get off at 0700. You have to be at your ft job at 0730 which is 15 minute drive. Yet the company hired a warm body who is late,you can't leave and it's 0800. What do you do?
              Don't take a part time job with a shift that ends half an hour before your full time job.

I once had a part time job. I made sure that part time job started AFTER my full time shift was over, not the other way around.

Comment

• The point is these companies and dol use scare tactics about leaving a scene with out relief. While I've observed some people miss a whole shift no call and no show yet you are required to stay on post.

Comment

• Going back a little ways now but the same thing happened here in Washington state. A police officer was going to taze a guy hiding in a tree but pulled his sidearm instead. Shot him right in the ass with a single round. The guy was OK and the department mandated retraining of all officers that carried tazers. I think that was the end of it recourse wise.

Comment

The point is these companies and dol use scare tactics about leaving a scene with out relief. While I've observed some people miss a whole shift no call and no show yet you are required to stay on post.

Its not that hard to understand.

If you don't show up for work, you're not committing fraud against the client. FSS 493 has a rule about "defrauding the client," which has been intrepreted by the Division to mean: If the guard firm says it'll put a guard from 9 PM to 7 AM, then they must have a guard there every minute.

If you leave, without an acceptable reason (the Division really doesn't find any reason acceptable), then you are defrauding the client because the firm is paying you to remain on post your entire shift, at all times, no exceptions.

You can not show up and keep your license because you aren't defrauding anyone. But if you show up, assume your post, then leave without being properly relieved, then you are cheating the client out of money and will lose your license upon the state finding out.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• How many times has a company scheduled me for 2100-0300 at site A. and schedule me for 0200-0800 at site B. (due to lack of man power).

Are there any laws preventing these companies from working up 36 hours straight? I certainly have done it with out sleeping on the job.

Comment

I knew one company that actually required it (2 lights). I would guess in case one died.
                        Same reason if you carried 2 pencils

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X