Weapons on the Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by knotquiteawake View Post
    For a long time the only authorized weapons for Campus Security here was your ASP and your Pepper Foam.

However after two armed car jackings, over the course of about a month and a half, the Univeristy President gave the green light to Arm the Officers.

So now in the next three to four months or so we will be trained to use a gun and tazer.
    Apparently we will be required to carry all of the following while on duty:
    ASP
    Pepper spray
    Tazer
    9mm Beretta
    PLUS all the regular stuff (maglight, radio, cuffs, spare clips, ect..)

How many of you security guards are armed? How did it feel if you were around for a switch from unarmed to armed (or switching from a unarmed job to an armed job). Also, the Tazer, useful or never used?
    thanks
    I can't afford a taser, but I do carry a 600,000 volt stun gun on my duty belt. Not once have I ever had to deploy it, or even pull it out of its pouch.

Comment

• Originally posted by winchester4321 View Post
      I would be very interested in seeing a picture of your duty belt with all the stuff. I don't know ANY security guard who carries all that stuff. Three sets of cuffs for a security guard? Two flashlights? A police officer yes, but even then I don't know any that would carry two of the same flashlight. With all that equipment it is just over the top....
      sometimes it takes 3 sets of cuffs there are some really big boys walking around . I remember one episode of cops some guy was so big they needed four sets . he was a big mofo.
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

• winchester...

I would be very interested in seeing a picture of your duty belt with all the stuff. I don't know ANY security guard who carries all that stuff. Three sets of cuffs for a security guard? Two flashlights? A police officer yes, but even then I don't know any that would carry two of the same flashlight. With all that equipment it is just over the top....
        How many guards have you seen? How many of them work mostly in the areas of project homes or gang areas? Yea...that's kind of what I figured.

Comment

• really?

When you have to use force, you have not done your job correctly
          If I shoot a crack-head with a gun threatening me or someone else, I have failed at my job? Total B.S. hoss.

Comment

• well...

sometimes it takes 3 sets of cuffs there are some really big boys walking around . I remember one episode of cops some guy was so big they needed four sets . he was a big mofo.
            It doesn't really have much to do with that. I just work on occassion with a moron who doesn't bring all the gear required for the job. I have amassed quite a collection over the years. I have about 10 sets of cuffs (one year my mom, girlfriend, and grandma all gave me cuffs as gifts) in the trunk as well as a few batons and multiple cans of spray. I know some jerk-off is going to say that it is excessive carry, but when someone else shows up unprepared, I can either call the supervisor to send them home and be left on-site with no shot at back-up, babysit them all night, or loan/sell them my gear so I don't have to watch their back, the clients' and my own.

Comment

• Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
              It doesn't really have much to do with that. I just work on occassion with a moron who doesn't bring all the gear required for the job. I have amassed quite a collection over the years. I have about 10 sets of cuffs (one year my mom, girlfriend, and grandma all gave me cuffs as gifts) in the trunk as well as a few batons and multiple cans of spray. I know some jerk-off is going to say that it is excessive carry, but when someone else shows up unprepared, I can either call the supervisor to send them home and be left on-site with no shot at back-up, babysit them all night, or loan/sell them my gear so I don't have to watch their back, the clients' and my own.
              Exactly. In any form of law enforcement there is no such thing as being over prepared
              "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
              some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

Comment

• Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
                Exactly. In any form of law enforcement there is no such thing as being over prepared
                Yeah, but some people take it to a whole other level. I can understand having reserve equipment in the trunk. However, having several knives, guns, batons, sprays, cuffs, etc is just a bit much. I can't ever stop laughing at some, security officers that come out in full tac gear. If I were a property owner/management, that wouldn't fly well with me. As a consumer that would make me get back into the car and go somewhere else. As it would seem that it's bad place to be if security needs to be outfitted in such a way.
                "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• One skill both security and law enforcement officers must always maintain is awareness. Things can go South in a heartbeat.
                  If you must use deadly force as a last resort, hopefully the powers that be will send a shooting team to the scene to make their inquiries.
                  Before writing this, I made some phone calls to folks I trust for their wisdom and experience. The consensus was to immediately write down the sequence of events as soon as possible before you say anything to anyone in "Dick and Jane" language. Avoid argot, jargon, lingo or cant at all costs. Your own writing can be your downfall if you are not clear and concise. Remember disclosure, disclosure. Then request an appearance before a "grand jury" in the County where the incident took place. If a "No Bill" is returned you can breathe a sigh of temporary relief. Above all do not speak to the press or your friends until you are permitted, then paucity of speech.
                  Enjoy the day,
                  Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                    One skill both security and law enforcement officers must always maintain is awareness. Things can go South in a heartbeat.
                    If you must use deadly force as a last resort, hopefully the powers that be will send a shooting team to the scene to make their inquiries.
                    Before writing this, I made some phone calls to folks I trust for their wisdom and experience. The consensus was to immediately write down the sequence of events as soon as possible before you say anything to anyone in "Dick and Jane" language. Avoid argot, jargon, lingo or cant at all costs. Your own writing can be your downfall if you are not clear and concise. Remember disclosure, disclosure. Then request an appearance before a "grand jury" in the County where the incident took place. If a "No Bill" is returned you can breathe a sigh of temporary relief. Above all do not speak to the press or your friends until you are permitted, then paucity of speech.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

I can't agree more. One of the last things anyone is trained on is report writing. Which, I feel, is one of the most importiant things any officer will have to do. I can't tell you how many guys, most who have years on me, that I've had to sit down with and actually have to write their reports for them because they couldn't formulate a sentence.

If you can't write a proper report then your butt can get put up in a sling even if you followed proper procedure.
                    "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
                    some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

Comment

• Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
                      I can't agree more. One of the last things anyone is trained on is report writing. Which, I feel, is one of the most importiant things any officer will have to do. I can't tell you how many guys, most who have years on me, that I've had to sit down with and actually have to write their reports for them because they couldn't formulate a sentence.

If you can't write a proper report then your butt can get put up in a sling even if you followed proper procedure.
                      JSam21, you would be surprised how many times I have been hired just to rewrite survey reports. I have recommended Kate L. Turabian's book, "A Manual for Writers." The last time I checked it was the Fifth Edition and that was Revised.
                      Before I retired, my boss asked one of our coworkers to visit him in his office.The door was then closed. This gentleman was an English major. My boss later told me he complemented the writer on the structure of the report but only a couple of things had to be added. Sentences must have a subject and a predicate, other than that they were fine. The survey report must have a main theme of what the survey was about and not mentioning the facility visited was in bad form. The closing shot was, each and every paragraph must have an identifiable theme. What do you want the Chief of the Division and the other readers to take away from the report? After several failed attempts, my boss and I rewrote the entire report after having made several frustrating phone calls to the visited site.
                      Your points are very well taken.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdog View Post
                        I too, carry 3 pairs of cuffs now. The reason is very simple. Once, I had three subjects detained . But had two pairs on me at the time, a third suspect came out from the shadows......Long story, but necessary at the time, so now 3 is what I carry.

Be safe,

Hank
                        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

• Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                          Don't laugh. If your carrying the M18, its happened before. In California. A suspect who was kicking out a cruiser window was fatally shot with a Glock 17 by a city police officer. She stated, "I'll calm him down," opened the door a crack, drew her Glock, and put a round in his chest.

She then totally broke down and started screaming at the deputies she had responded to assist and transport for to save the suspect. He was pronounced dead.
                          That's how to leave us hanging .....What happen to the cop? Was there any change of policy?
                          "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
                          (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkMetalWolf View Post
                            That's how to leave us hanging .....What happen to the cop? Was there any change of policy?
                            If i'm not mistaken, she (the city officer) had her taser on the same side as her issued Glock handgun. If memory recalls the first models were all black, whereas now they have yellow on them. Change of policy is what you basically see now. Taser designed all models to have bright yellow markings, except for the newest X26 models, as they are alot smaller and differently shaped than the M18/26 models. The taser must be worn on the opposite side of your firearm.

As for the officer, I am not sure what ended up happening to her. I THINK she's still beatin' the pavement, could be wrong.
                            "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• cuffs

In the words of my FTO: "How many times have you walked down the street and seen someone kickin their own ass?"

The exact reason I always carry multiple sets of cuffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                                I have just always hated that people think that bullets and cartridges can be "outlawed, except if you're the police." The only way that can happen is if it meets the criteria of a controlled round by BATF standards. Black Talons aren't armor piercing the way that AP rounds are. They just happen to shred armor and carrier, if they're going fast enough. Doesn't meet the criteria, but Winchester knew if they didn't use a distribution restriction "request," they'd be sued.
                                From all the stuff I've read, the scariest thing about the Black Talon was the name. And the funny thing is, ever since they changed it, everyone outside the typical gun owning community forgot all about it.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X