No announcement yet.

casion security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Canada Police Officers are Peace Officers. People who can arrest only on their property & only have their powers while on duty (police have their powers 24 hours a day) are called Special Constables.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
      Peace officers cannot arrest on warrants and their powers only exist while working and in their geographical area of patrol, and adjoining roadways. Other than that, the powers are exactly the same as a police officer.

The sad part is, police officers in NY attend a minimum of 26 weeks of training before becoming certified. An armed peace officer only needs a minimum of 3. Obviously we attend much more, but there are some agencies out there (town constables mostly) that send guys out with that little.
      What is the logic behind unarmed peace officers, at your agency? Your being unarmed and conducting law enforcment duties could have disasterous consequences.
      I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
      -Lieutenant Commander Data
      sigpic

Comment

The logic behind having peace officers is because it's a private college, we can't be police officers. Police officers can only be employed by government agencies, not private organizations. The logic behind us being unarmed is because the college community is extremely liberal and even though the city that surrounds us has a sky-high crime rate and students are being robbed at gunpoint, they still feel it necessary to have us unarmed.
        You'll scare the parents if your armed. "I send my son to get his degree in Marine Science to this prestigious college, and they need armed guards with guns?!"

"They're police officers, ma'am."

"Even worse! They need police to police my son? Is the crime that bad here?!"
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
            Blackington will make any type of badge with any type of lettering on it for anybody.....
            Is it Blackinton that's the problem or is it the vendors?
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

A badge means nothing.....

It is a police ID card that carries the name of your agency, your rank, your serial number, your photo and the signature of the chief of police (or county sheriff as the case may be) that makes you a police officer.
              Police ID cards have been forged just like a driver's license. You need to look at the whole picture, in other words, does something seem fishy about the circumstances and the individual who professes to be LE. You may have to verify the claim with a phone call to the police.

Remember, armored cars and cash handling facilities have been robbed by people who appeared to be police officers. When in doubt, check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                Considering they assured me that, when I talked with them, nobody could get a badge similiar to mine... I'd call that their problem.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  It is Blackinton's problem because they are the making the badge, not the vendor. Blackinton can always say no.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Considering they assured me that, when I talked with them, nobody could get a badge similiar to mine... I'd call that their problem.
                    Did you get your badge approved by the state and/or local PD? Or is that not required in WI?

Comment

Did you get your badge approved by the state and/or local PD? Or is that not required in WI?
                      The only regulation of security in Wisconsin is that you pay 95 dollars for a Private Investigation Agency permit, have licensed persons, maintain required insurance, and PIs may not display a badge. Everything else about a company is unregulated. Your badge can look like anything that reasonably doesn't make a reasonable person believe you are a "public officer."

Actually, that's the first I've heard of having a badge approved by any governmental body.

Case in point: Florida dosen't care what your badge looks like, so long as it isn't a 5 point star, dosen't say police sheriff or trooper on it, and dosen't have a state seal on it. They don't actively go out looking, nor are you required to send them a badge design for approval.
                      Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 03-26-2006, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Comment

In Wisconsin and Florida, being issued such a citiation would result in your license being permenantly revoked for impersonating a "public"/"law enforcement" officer.

Comment

The worst part is what happens to students - we can only arrest them for a small list of serious infractions. DWI, Disorderly Conduct, possession of controlled substances - all infractions that we file a conduct report on and release the student on his or her own recognizance with no legal action whatsoever.
                            Is that dept policy or a statutory limitation?
                            sigpic

Comment

Department policy. Guess who writes most of our policies? A panel of students with guidance from a Dean.
                              See, that's silly. Your a law enforcement organization, given police powers by the State of New York. You should be required under statute to enforce the laws of the State, as a sworn officer.

I would think that the State of New York would have more control over its peace officers, since your operating under its name. I could see a DUI lawsuit go terribly wrong against your college and the state that authorizes your peace officer powers. Something along the lines of:

Officer conducts traffic stop, writes for DUI. Suspect RORed, conduct report filed. DUI suspect continues on way, kills bus full of nuns.

If your allowed to arrest and transport for DUI, there are other crimes that still pose a risk to the public.

Does this committee get any guidance on your policies as far as releasing prisoners taken in the name of the state?

I mean, if there's no legal action taken, ie: citation turned in or arrest affidavit filed in juristictional court, then what's the purpose of having peace officers?

Comment

....... I felt kind of bad about giving the individual guard a citation since the guard does not have any say in what uniforms the company issues, but then I got over it. I used to love seeing the security guard's expression when one of them would call me to solve a problem but the guard was the one who ended up with a citation for looking too much like me. At least I was always nice about it and never gave the guard the citation in front of others. In LA the vast majority of city ordinance violations (including wearing a uniform similar to LAPD) are infractions and only punished by a fine.
                                And you couldn't just give the guard a warning the first time? Frankly, your admission about enjoying the guard's reaction to receiving an infraction concerns me.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X