No announcement yet.

Flashlights for self defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLIPSE HAS DONE A REVIEW OF THE BOREALIS 1050 LUMENS FLASHLIGHT (ex 951)

HERE IS THE LINK

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220352

He even tell you how to build a fire with one.

Best regards
    black bear
    BUILDER OF THE BOREALIS FLASHLIGHT
    www.BlackBearFlashlights.com

Comment

I carry a AA Maglite, and a 3? cell Maglite... They work fine for me. All these fancy lights look cool, but why exactly do i need to start a fire with a flashlight? That's why we have Lighters and Matches...Right?
      "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Streamlight TL3

I found out about heat the hard way when I tried to place a cap over my Streamlight to protect the lens while carrying it in an open holster. I took a plastic spice bottle cap that was the same diameter as the torch, drilled an 1/8 " hole in the cap for ventilation and accidental activation. Even though the light switch is recessed, I inadvertently sat in a chair that kept the momentary on/off switch on for some time. The heat ended up distorting the cap, and may have started burning if I had remained seating. That's called the "hot" seat.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          I found out about heat the hard way when I tried to place a cap over my Streamlight to protect the lens while carrying it in an open holster. I took a plastic spice bottle cap that was the same diameter as the torch, drilled an 1/8 " hole in the cap for ventilation and accidental activation. Even though the light switch is recessed, I inadvertently sat in a chair that kept the momentary on/off switch on for some time. The heat ended up distorting the cap, and may have started burning if I had remained seating. That's called the "hot" seat.
          Umm, Wow.. I need to catch up on the latest light technology! LOL! This is getting scary!

What is the going price on one of those electric candles?
          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Yes you are correct they are more restrictive. And you even said your self that security officers are restricted from having defense weapons of some kinds. Yet you talk to any violent criminal and they will tell you they do not fear the un armed person. Most of them will tell you they fear the armed victim. The thing is the violent criminal will use any and all weapons if they plan to harm or kill. And no one is going to stop them. Once they have it in his/her mind then they attack. The on,y chance a person has is defense or luck or both. In the Uniteds States a firearm is used over 2 million times to stop attacks. Yet most of those dont even have to use it. You ask why ? Because example trash bag comes up with a knife to try and attack a woman say in her home. She pulls out a handgun he goes oh no she aint an easy target and tucks tail and runs for the hills. Again most dont even have to use the weapon simply brandishing it stops the attack.

As for it being safer I dunno. From the area im from its a small city in ohio and across state lines into Indiana is small cities towns etc. They havent had a murder in that area in over 10 or more yrs. Yet someone had just graduated and got his high school GED. his parents sent him on a trip to england. He never came back. His throat was slashed by a thug. I read that your twice as lickely to be in a violent mugging on the streets there than you are here. Also during a debate NRA Vice President Wayne Lappiere showed many news paper stories that were writen by law enforcement officers in that country which said violent crime was up compared to the country's size. Our crime has droped to what is it a 30 yr low ? The City i was a police explorer with is much safer now than back in the 80's and before.

My feeling is when you restrict the good people to nothing thats what they have nothing. But the bad guys have everything. When you have that good people lose. Look at the airlines. They have a heck of alot of restrictions on people having anything for self defense. And on 9/11 they attacked america because of box cutter knifes. You can get them things for prolly what 3.00 at some places. Again i come back to more restrictions more trouble.

And dont think that police/military can protect you. Look at 9/11 when people called 9/11 they got a recorded msg. Sorry we cant take your call at this time due to the emergency in lower manhatten. People who called 9/11 couldnt get anyone. So who is going to protect you ? Answer you better protect you, because no one else may be avail to come.

Hurricane Katrina. They had lists of people who had called 911 five days before. Do you have 5 days to wait because no one was avail because of the emergency going on ? The men & women are our protectors i 110 % agree with that. But they can be everyplace at once. That is why our fathers had the 2nd amendment for good people. Because in such times like that no one is coming. Your it. And in my personal opinion: i dont feel that people should leave things up to others. Meaning you cant always expect others to help you.

When my grandfather lived in KY the county had 1 sheriff 3 deputies. They had times if you made a call you may have to wait an hr. People in KY handled defense them selfs. They had to. And I can tell you i would rather live in KY or IN anyday than my state of ohio. I know of many areas of both states that have much lower crime. Because they have better self defense laws i think for one.

And as you say facts speak louder than words one of your own very top Canada leo's came out that he is against restrictions against good people because its causing the violent crime rate to go up. Dont listen to the politicans. Why listen to them ? Are they working the streets ? Heck no. What do they know about that stuff ? Nothing unless they have done it or have some type of research in it that is good research and not junk. If people in government are so on it against violent crime why do they see to it that violent offenders are back on the streets ? Does that make sense to you. It dosent to me. When people in politics see to it that a repated offender is back on the streets they dont have to ask why the attacked again or killed.

im not at all saying you wrong or right on anything. Everyone has his.her opinion and i value everyones

STay Safe Everyone

Originally posted by Mr. Security
            Canada is, if I understand correctly, much more restrictive when it comes to citizens owning handguns. The same seems to be true in England. I know that some bad guys there have firearms, but it doesn't even come close to the USA.

Until recently, most Bobbies were unarmed, except for a baton. Even in the USA, LEO's could effectively do their jobs with a revolver until the last twenty years or so. They usually carried 18 rounds. Now they must have semiautomatic side arms w/ 15 round clips and they usually carry 3 of those because the bad guys carry similar guns. And even then, the criminals sometimes outgun them.

I believe that Canada and Britain have a murder rate that is considerably lower than the USA because of their gun laws. I am definitely in the minority on this issue, but I believe the facts speak louder than anything I can say.

Comment

As far as school shooting from everything i have heard of study and research school shootings have droped over the yrs. Stuff happens. Many students bring knifes to school. What about knife attacks ? Check into that.

As far as most killings happening during a crime yes and killing is a crime lol. Most killings newsflash is dope related. Thats right drop heads killing dope heads. Look at Cincinnati the lead medical investigator said more than 90 % of the homicides in cincinnati are drug related. And its true. I have seen many murder victims in cincinnati with his./her pic put on the news guess what the pic was a mug shot. They were reppeat criminals. Most people in the united states will never face an armed attack. But it stills happens. I have a CCW permit and carry off duty. But i will probably never face a incident. I hope i never do. I train and prepare for it. But help it never comes. If our country was so bad than why do people everyday try and get in the illegal way. Because its not bad. The city i grew up in has never had a murder in way over 10 yrs.

As far as dope related murders. Canada has stated that the drugs are out of control in canada. I have a friend from canada she is not an officer or anything like that she is a civilian. She seen a man stabbed in day light in canada. I have many friends that arent officers in the united states and none of them have seen this sort of thing.

As far as dealing with drunks etc. Since i started as a explorer in 1998 and later i have never delt with a armed one yet. Again but that is a rule of officer survival just because it aint happend yet dont mean it wont. Dont be caught off guard. Search the same building because of an alarm ? Never find anyone. Dont get into "oh its just another false alarm. Because inside may be a gang of terrorists or just one. yes i call them terrorists, violent criminals are because they terrorize the innocent. I dont like people who terrorize good people. Why do you think they go after elderly they think they cant defend them self.

Stay Safe Everyone

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
              I agree that criminals don't follow laws. We have very strict gun laws here in Canada yet people are still killed with guns. However I think most of the killings happen during crimes. It is more likely that someone will get killed in the US by a student bringing his father's gun to school or by a wife by her husband during an arguement than in Canada. I deal a lot with drunks. I have never had to deal with an armed one. This would worry me if I lived in the US.

BTW are assault weapons still legai in the US? I thought they had been banned after that bank robbery in California where the bad guys were armed with AK-47s.

Comment

Looks like Blackbear should have listened to Michael Ledgerwood in the first time.

This from the web site he advertises his product on:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...9&postcount=56
                HI GUYS,

YES, it have been a name change, my light is called now the BOREALIS.

MAG Instruments (the owners of Maglite) has asked me to remove the name MAG from my light add
                It seems that it is a registered trademark.

I am compliying with their request and calling my light BOREALIS.

Thank you
                black bear
                I do think this is a remarkable product. The power of the light and craftsmenship of the modifications looks fantastic. I do also agree with Michael on every aspect however. It is against the law to sell this product as his own. I'm confident that if Maglite really wanted to they could sue for a lot of money because he is modifying the flashlight that Maglite made and calling it his own.

Comment

Originally posted by rentacop
                  Looks like Blackbear should have listened to Michael Ledgerwood in the first time.

This from the web site he advertises his product on:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...9&postcount=56

I do think this is a remarkable product. The power of the light and craftsmenship of the modifications looks fantastic. I do also agree with Michael on every aspect however. It is against the law to sell this product as his own. I'm confident that if Maglite really wanted to they could sue for a lot of money because he is modifying the flashlight that Maglite made and calling it his own.
                  Assets would need to be sufficient to justify it. Also, as long as he complies with Mag-Lite's stipulations, both parties will consider the matter resolved.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X