Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying a knife

Hey guys,

I have a SOG twitch II that I usually carry clipped to my right pocket. It's one of those assisted opening knives, ie legal switchblade.

I got to thinking, if I'm rolling around with some guy, and it slips out of my pocket, that's it for me. How many carry knives while working? If you do, how do you carry them so they won't end up in the bad guy's hands?
    If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

I would carry it in my pocket. Were aloud to here (as long as the blade is no bigger than 6 inches).
    which is good with the type of people i gotta deal with

Comment

When I work patrol, I have one clipped to the inside of my boot. I also keep one in my back pocket nearly all the time. I have multiple Gerber Blades knives, depending on the occasion.
      Washington DC

Comment

The only knife blades I carry are on my Leatherman, in a pouch on my duty belt; one is about 3 1/2 regular blade and the other is a serrated "bread knife" kind which is Wicked sharp (don't ask me how I know )
        “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
        "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

tacscuba,

I carry a Benchmade 9100 Auto-Stryker clipped on the inside of my pocket.

Regardless of where you carry your blade, you must condition yourself to go for

your sidearm if you ever see a knife in your opponent's hands, whether it be

their knife or yours. A knife in the hands of an opponent is a deadly

weapon, so you might end up defending your own life with deadly force (pistol,

rifle, or whatever else) in return.
          Last edited by FederalSecurity; 08-29-2008, 07:03 AM. Reason: Underlining "or"
          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
          - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
          — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

Originally posted by FederalSecurity View Post
            tacscuba,

I carry a Benchmade 9100 Auto-Stryker clipped on the inside of my pocket.

Regardless of where you carry your blade, you must condition yourself to go for

your sidearm if you ever see a knife in your opponent's hands, whether it be

their knife or yours. A knife in the hands of an opponent is a deadly

weapon, so you might end up defending your own life with deadly force (pistol,

rifle, or whatever else) in return.
            I would if i were able to carry a pistol

I think i'll try carrying it inside my boot tonight though and see how that works.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

i carry two a benchmade in my back right pocket and a boker auto opener in my back left pocket.
              Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

Comment

Hi, I carry a leatherman wave in a nylon holster on my belt, a 4" Gerber folding Knife in my right pants pocket, a Winchester folding knife with a serrated 2" blade next to my MiniMag lite in that case, a 6" commando dagger of British origin taped inside my body armor at the small of my back, another 8" dagger of Israeli design in a custom leg holster on my left calve, and a 10" sharpened flathead screwdriver duct-taped to my right calve. I spend a lot of time reading about knives and knife related accessories too......

Comment

Originally posted by MUNSEC View Post
                  Hi, I carry a leatherman wave in a nylon holster on my belt, a 4" Gerber folding Knife in my right pants pocket, a Winchester folding knife with a serrated 2" blade next to my MiniMag lite in that case, a 6" commando dagger of British origin taped inside my body armor at the small of my back, another 8" dagger of Israeli design in a custom leg holster on my left calve, and a 10" sharpened flathead screwdriver duct-taped to my right calve. I spend a lot of time reading about knives and knife related accessories too......
                  Ok, I'm sorry its been a boring day and I just could not resist, I promise to be 100% serious from this point onwards

Comment

I knew a guy who carried a small plastic box cutter inside his 8 point cap, clipped to the name tag/ photo sleeve thingy on the flat part. He would often approach various nasty characters in the neighborhood, smiling and harmless looking and carrying his hat in his left hand...

Luckily, he was a "talker", and every skell and rapist and drug dealer and murderer he met loved him.
                    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Carrying a knife as a tool is one thing, but not as a weapon. I can't think of a weapon that can get you into trouble faster. Hardly anyone knows the proper tactical use of a knife in the first place, and it's not an acceptable weapon in the "force continuum arsenal". If you carry a baton, you should have been trained in knife attacks. If you don't, you should consider carrying a "baton-flashlight" or the "flex-baton" I have talked about. If you carry taser, you can use that, of course.

And, if you're armed, you would usually be entitled to use your firearm, but be careful here. You must be in imminent danger before you can actually shoot him. A guy 20 feet away from you is obviously in no position to stab you. On the other side of that coin, studies have shown that assailants can close distances of 10-15' in about a second. So, if you tell him to drop and plop and instead he moves toward you in any significant way you'll probably have to send him on his way to a kinder, sweeter world.
                      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I usually agree with SecTrainer advice, but must disagree with the knife threat distances. The commonly taught Tueller drill, which gave us the infamous 21' rule, proved only that the drawing and firing at a threat when alerted to the danger had a minimum distance. The bad guy could average 21 feet in distance before the alert officer could draw and fire. That was called a tie. That didn't allow for the idea that a shot might not incapacitate, might miss or some other Murphy situation might occur.

I submit, and subsequently train, that a knife wielding subject can be a danger at any distance where the knife can be seen. I do agree that your actions will be judged very closely, especially if your response is based on pre-conceived threat distances and not actual jeopardy.

Jerry
                        Jerry
                        http://personalprotectionconcepts.info

Comment

I believe any Security Officer worth his/her salt carries a knife on and off duty. A true professional is prepared for any eventuality. I don't look at knives as weapons but as tools. The more functions, the better. Can a knife be used for defense? Absolutely, but I find mine being used more for mundane activities every day.

That all being said, choosing a knife that combines the best attributes of the two is ideal. I carry a Spyderco Endura with a partially serrated blade. This tool is handy enough to carry all day without knowing it's there, the blade is large and sturdy enough to handle most any cutting job and it can double as a defensive device if needed.

If you're going to deploy a knife in a defensive manner do yourself a favor and get some training. While the knife is the oldest tool known to man, using it effectively isn't instinctive. Remember two rules:

1. Never bring a knife to a gunfight.
                          2. The winner of a knife fight is the one who gets cut the least.

Knives are tools first and anything else after. Be smart, be safe and be prepared!
                          "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Fox View Post
                            I believe any Security Officer worth his/her salt carries a knife on and off duty. A true professional is prepared for any eventuality. I don't look at knives as weapons but as tools. The more functions, the better. Can a knife be used for defense? Absolutely, but I find mine being used more for mundane activities every day.

That all being said, choosing a knife that combines the best attributes of the two is ideal. I carry a Spyderco Endura with a partially serrated blade. This tool is handy enough to carry all day without knowing it's there, the blade is large and sturdy enough to handle most any cutting job and it can double as a defensive device if needed.

If you're going to deploy a knife in a defensive manner do yourself a favor and get some training. While the knife is the oldest tool known to man, using it effectively isn't instinctive. Remember two rules:

1. Never bring a knife to a gunfight.
                            2. The winner of a knife fight is the one who gets cut the least.

Knives are tools first and anything else after. Be smart, be safe and be prepared!
                            The winner of a knife fight isn't the one who gets cut the least. It's the one who doesn't get cut in a major artery or stabbed in a vital place.
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Sec Trainer, sent you a PM

I've been wearing my knife clipped to my boot for a few shifts now, I don't even notice it's there.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X