X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I like leather to. For armed security though, I would think that high-gloss, noisy leather with nickel-plated buttons might put one at a disadvantage as far as stealth is concerned. N.A. or others with experience in this area would know more about this than me though.
    I have worn one real leather accessory. It was a Maglite holder, the old "head basket" kind. It did, indeed, squeak, but not that much.

The reason I like nylon is weight reduction, and the 2 inch belt as opposed to the 2 1/4th inch belt. There was an OSHA ergonomics study on law enforcement (to include security guards who wear police gear) which gave much insight into weight reduction, slimmer belts, and pre-shaped belts (for women) reducing the amount of back injury suffered by armed professionals due to wearing 10 pounds of gear around their waist.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
    Does anyone use leather anymore? I see everyone raving about nylon, I love the look of leather.
    I like leather to. For armed security though, I would think that high-gloss, noisy leather with nickel-plated buttons might put one at a disadvantage as far as stealth is concerned. N.A. or others with experience in this area would know more about this than me though.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    That was when I was a 36 inch waist. I'm now a 42.
    Me to! I used to be a 32 until I started working behind a desk. I'm also cursed with the "apple" shape as opposed to the "pair" shape. At close to six feet, I'm supposed to be around a 180 instead of the 190+ that I am. I'm not giving up though. My theory is that by building muscle mass, I will burn more calories than just doing aerobic exercise. I've been working out for two weeks. Time (and gut ) will tell if it works.

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    I get pretty much everything from Streichers, either online or from the Minneapolis showroom. KEEPRS is also another local company, but the selection isn't as great.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
    Does anyone use leather anymore? I see everyone raving about nylon, I love the look of leather.
    Real leather requires that you take care of it. Wipe it down with saddle soap to keep it soft. Use leather dye on it to keep it black. Ensure its not rotting.

Less and less folks are making real leather products. Sure, you can buy Safariland leather, but that's less leather-like than nylon. Stuff wears like iron.

For those that like the leather look, can afford it, and don't want to have to worry about taking care of the real leather, there's always Safariland's Safarilaminate, Uncle Mike's Mirage (Car leather), and Bianchi's Accumold Elite (Car Leather).

Don Hume, of course, still makes real leather gear out of real cows.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by wilrobnson
    I wish more folks thought like that...I carry nothing past the rear pockets as well, but I work some folks that carry everything from 2 double cuff cases (?) in the small of their backs to their radio there (monstrous Moto digital model)...Why???
    I knew a guy who carried a double cuff case in the small of his back. He said, "Most people call it a back breaker, I call it a back saver." I understand this logic, however flawed, that the cuff protects the vertebrae at the small of his back. Unfortunately, it also hits the two vertebrae higher than the one your protecting, at the edge.

I have seen USCG guys stick 21 inch ASPs directly at spine level. No, I don't know why, either. I think they relegate that area as "stuff I never touch," so they think it's "safe" back there. I would never stick a weapon back there, I can't protect it.

I had a single cuff case centered on each back pocket, with the pant belt loop locking it in on the "inside" edge, and the ASP or Stinger locking it on on the outwards edge. They fitted well against my waist, and didn't cut in to me. That was when I was a 36 inch waist. I'm now a 42.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Only thing I keep behind my back are the small molded glove cases. My equipment stops at the back pocket buttons. I have fallen on duty before, and the lack of equipment back there saved me from severe back problems.
    I wish more folks thought like that...I carry nothing past the rear pockets as well, but I work some folks that carry everything from 2 double cuff cases (?) in the small of their backs to their radio there (monstrous Moto digital model)...Why???

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I like the molded gear as well, except for the back of my belt. If it's soft, it will feel more comfortable when you sit back on it.
    Only thing I keep behind my back are the small molded glove cases. My equipment stops at the back pocket buttons. I have fallen on duty before, and the lack of equipment back there saved me from severe back problems. My baton (Behind my pistol) and my Stinger (behind my radio) dug into my sides, but it prevented the ground from impacting my spine. There was a good half inch between the concrete and my back from those two objects.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    I like the molded gear as well, except for the back of my belt. If it's soft, it will feel more comfortable when you sit back on it.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    These are rules I have found in buying duty gear:
    1) Shop around. You named one store, I named another. There are hundreds of catalog companies out there. Verify they will ship to you, first off. Both stores we named are US outfits.

2) Find somewhere local that sells police stuff. Go there. Look at the gear. See how it feels in your hand. I know cops who love UM. I know cops who hate it. I know security folks who hate it and love it, as well. This is an argument along the lines of "Ford vs. Chevy."

3) Figure out what the employee is going to carry, then work around that. If they're going to carry absolutely nothing, and you only need a spiffy uniform belt, then buy a Safariland Gloss Black belt and some keepers. Its sharp, looks like patent leather, and will last awhile. If they're going to actually carry gear, then figure out what gear will be carried, and how it will fit into the cases. UM Sidekick gear suffers from not being molded, reholstering hard gear is hard because the pack cloth has no form. This is not a problem if your not carrying anything. It is, however, if you are.

4) Find the best price.

Leave a comment:

• wjohnc
    replied
    Uncle Mike's and PatrolTek

Why Uncle Mikes? Just about everyone I know hates Uncle Mikes gear.

A good suggestion for Nylon is "PatrolTek" from Bianchi Accumold. This is basically "Galls Brand" Accumold knock-off gear with the Bianchi name on it. They've been making knock-off fear for Galls and several other companies for awhile now, so they're finally putting their brand onto it.

If you have any equipment, your going to want molded pouches for it. Even if its just a Strion or Stinger flashlight. The pack cloth variety of Uncle Mikes makes it very hard to reholster gear without using both hands, and looking like a goof.
    Uncle Mike's gear is favoured by the cops I spoke with. However, cops and security are different breeds and I should have spoken with you guys before recommending UM's, but I wasn't aware of SIW at that time, and the only other people around here I could speak with are money guards, and the ones I've spoken with (even during breaks) aren't very friendly folk.

I am very open to suggestions on the brand of belts, cases, and holders. You mentioned the UM cases make the guard look "like a goof", okay, I'll change that, if, indeed, UM is as unpopular as you make it seem.

All that said, while OfficerStore.com has the best prices for gear, Quatermaster has PatrolTek, and if that is as universally liked as much as it appears UM is disliked then I will change as necessary.

thank you, sir
    wjohnc

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Bridgegate
    Agreed. My entire rig is Bianchi Accumold, except my Uncle Mikes Pro-3 holster. I tried out the Bianchi holsters when I was first looking at the purchase of one, and didn't like the way they draw... Same with the Safariland ones... So I stick with my standby... at least until that fabled Pro-4 with the fingerprint release finally comes out... lol
    My holster was a SS III with the 1.5 inch drop adapter. I didn't like the way Uncle Mikes holsters stick out so far. I dislike the Bianchi holsters due to their lack of retention.

Probably just going to get an 6802 SLS.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    I go to a little place in my town called "The line of duty" they are reasonably priced for the most part. Unfortunately, they are rather small, if I need something that I would get from Galls or the like, I go to L.E.E.D. (Law Enforcement Equipment Distribution) Their prices are typically a little on the higher end it seems at times. But then again that is where I have gotten some of my best bargains.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied

A good suggestion for Nylon is "PatrolTek" from Bianchi Accumold. This is basically "Galls Brand" Accumold knock-off gear with the Bianchi name on it. They've been making knock-off fear for Galls and several other companies for awhile now, so they're finally putting their brand onto it.

If you have any equipment, your going to want molded pouches for it. Even if its just a Strion or Stinger flashlight. The pack cloth variety of Uncle Mikes makes it very hard to reholster gear without using both hands, and looking like a goof.
    Agreed. My entire rig is Bianchi Accumold, except my Uncle Mikes Pro-3 holster. I tried out the Bianchi holsters when I was first looking at the purchase of one, and didn't like the way they draw... Same with the Safariland ones... So I stick with my standby... at least until that fabled Pro-4 with the fingerprint release finally comes out... lol

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by wjohnc
    Oops, I misspoke, er...mistyped. I meant that I recommend we buy from officerstore.com, but the gear is all Uncle Mike's nylon.

I eagerly await more replies on this topic

wjohnc

getting tired...

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X