Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vendors? Good, Bad, ...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I like the molded gear as well, except for the back of my belt. If it's soft, it will feel more comfortable when you sit back on it.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mr. Security
      I like the molded gear as well, except for the back of my belt. If it's soft, it will feel more comfortable when you sit back on it.
      Only thing I keep behind my back are the small molded glove cases. My equipment stops at the back pocket buttons. I have fallen on duty before, and the lack of equipment back there saved me from severe back problems. My baton (Behind my pistol) and my Stinger (behind my radio) dug into my sides, but it prevented the ground from impacting my spine. There was a good half inch between the concrete and my back from those two objects.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

      "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        Only thing I keep behind my back are the small molded glove cases. My equipment stops at the back pocket buttons. I have fallen on duty before, and the lack of equipment back there saved me from severe back problems.
        I wish more folks thought like that...I carry nothing past the rear pockets as well, but I work some folks that carry everything from 2 double cuff cases (?) in the small of their backs to their radio there (monstrous Moto digital model)...Why???

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by wilrobnson
          I wish more folks thought like that...I carry nothing past the rear pockets as well, but I work some folks that carry everything from 2 double cuff cases (?) in the small of their backs to their radio there (monstrous Moto digital model)...Why???
          I knew a guy who carried a double cuff case in the small of his back. He said, "Most people call it a back breaker, I call it a back saver." I understand this logic, however flawed, that the cuff protects the vertebrae at the small of his back. Unfortunately, it also hits the two vertebrae higher than the one your protecting, at the edge.

          I have seen USCG guys stick 21 inch ASPs directly at spine level. No, I don't know why, either. I think they relegate that area as "stuff I never touch," so they think it's "safe" back there. I would never stick a weapon back there, I can't protect it.

          I had a single cuff case centered on each back pocket, with the pant belt loop locking it in on the "inside" edge, and the ASP or Stinger locking it on on the outwards edge. They fitted well against my waist, and didn't cut in to me. That was when I was a 36 inch waist. I'm now a 42.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
            Does anyone use leather anymore? I see everyone raving about nylon, I love the look of leather.
            Real leather requires that you take care of it. Wipe it down with saddle soap to keep it soft. Use leather dye on it to keep it black. Ensure its not rotting.

            Less and less folks are making real leather products. Sure, you can buy Safariland leather, but that's less leather-like than nylon. Stuff wears like iron.

            For those that like the leather look, can afford it, and don't want to have to worry about taking care of the real leather, there's always Safariland's Safarilaminate, Uncle Mike's Mirage (Car leather), and Bianchi's Accumold Elite (Car Leather).

            Don Hume, of course, still makes real leather gear out of real cows.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

            "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

            Comment


            • #21
              I get pretty much everything from Streichers, either online or from the Minneapolis showroom. KEEPRS is also another local company, but the selection isn't as great.
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                That was when I was a 36 inch waist. I'm now a 42.
                Me to! I used to be a 32 until I started working behind a desk. I'm also cursed with the "apple" shape as opposed to the "pair" shape. At close to six feet, I'm supposed to be around a 180 instead of the 190+ that I am. I'm not giving up though. My theory is that by building muscle mass, I will burn more calories than just doing aerobic exercise. I've been working out for two weeks. Time (and gut ) will tell if it works.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
                  Does anyone use leather anymore? I see everyone raving about nylon, I love the look of leather.
                  I like leather to. For armed security though, I would think that high-gloss, noisy leather with nickel-plated buttons might put one at a disadvantage as far as stealth is concerned. N.A. or others with experience in this area would know more about this than me though.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    I like leather to. For armed security though, I would think that high-gloss, noisy leather with nickel-plated buttons might put one at a disadvantage as far as stealth is concerned. N.A. or others with experience in this area would know more about this than me though.
                    I have worn one real leather accessory. It was a Maglite holder, the old "head basket" kind. It did, indeed, squeak, but not that much.

                    The reason I like nylon is weight reduction, and the 2 inch belt as opposed to the 2 1/4th inch belt. There was an OSHA ergonomics study on law enforcement (to include security guards who wear police gear) which gave much insight into weight reduction, slimmer belts, and pre-shaped belts (for women) reducing the amount of back injury suffered by armed professionals due to wearing 10 pounds of gear around their waist.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

                    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                    Comment

                    Leaderboard

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X