Vendors? Good, Bad, ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendors? Good, Bad, ...

So, when you need equipment, etc, where do you go for it? Local store, internet shop, catalog company?

I'm interested to know where your equipment and other needs take you.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

E-bay, Galls, LSS, Chief's, Emedco, Northern, Conney.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

If I'm paying for it out-of-pocket, Ebay or Quartermaster...
      If the company's paying for it, and wants me to locate it for them or get my opinion, I usually send them to Quartermaster or Galls... depending on what the item is... Ebay is good for certain items, but some of our stuff is hard to find on there... (Uniforms, for example... shirts in sizes 3XL or higher are in high quantity, but anything smaller is rare)
      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
      Originally posted by ValleyOne
      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
      Shoulda called in sick.
      Be safe!

Comment

Galls and Quartermaster for info, eBay for buying it, and local stores like Leeds and Blumenthals to try it out before I buy it. Brigade Quartermaster or Ranger Joes for the good tac stuff.

Comment

^ Blumenthals I try to avoid if possible, as their prices make Galls look cheap... But where is Leeds, and how do their prices compare?
          BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
          Shoulda called in sick.
          Be safe!

Comment

companies or guards?

Yes! Yes! I, too, am very interested in what you guys are wearing. I've tasked myself on certain things in my company, like getting some duty gear (cuffs, gloves, hand cleaner - we're not permitted weapons in Newfoundland), and when that's done I'm going to work on our uniform.

Right now we wear issued white shirts (usually, but not always whatever's cheapest), black pants and shoes or boots (our own), issued dark navy blue coats, issued light blue (wierd shade but good quality) jackets, and a dark navy cap.

I'll probably keep the basic colour scheme - though maybe I might sneak in a colour change suggestion, I haven't really decided yet - of white shirt, black pants, but the coats and jackets have got to go the same colour as the pants.

I'm going to try to get the company to pay too. This is the first employer in my 11 years that I would even dream about asking to do that. Probably try for a you-issue-but-we-pay-with-cheque-deductions-and-get-most-of-the-money-back-when-we-leave method.

But still, from where do I recommend getting the uniforms? Shirts? Pants? Jackets? Caps?
            (Incidentally, I recommended the duty gear come from the OfficerStore.com, but it's not too late to change that.)

One more question: I've read some names here - Quatermaster and Galls - that seem to be popular. But are they popular with the employer or with the guys actually wearing their clothes? And why is that?

wjohnc

uniforms were first developed so the people in charge could tell which people to kill and which to not
            Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
            "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

First, keep in mind that the catalog sites and the rest sell name brand, and store brand, clothing and equipment. The big name brands in uniforms are companies like The Force (Horace Small), Flying Cross / Fechheimer, Elbeco, and Royal Robbins (5.11 Tactical).

Equipment is made by such companies as Bianchi, Safariland, Boston Leather, Strong Leather, DeSantis, etc.

There are store brands, which are usually South American or Chinese made poly/cotton and 100% poly uniform shirts. They are similar to The Force's uniforms. I have worn every company I named save Royal Robbins.

The objective, of course, is to find a cheap supplier for whatever uniform brand you want.

As far as "is a catalog company liked by employers," again, it depends on what your buying. Some folks absolutely hate Quartermaster "Duty Pro" store-brand duty gear and uniforms. Others don't really care where it comes from, so long as its cheap and its not 100% polyester. Its less about who you buy from, and more about what you're buying. Then, you figure out who's going to be useful on shipping, costs per item, hidden charges, etc.

I have ordered from Galls (Unlike everyone else, they will ship any OC to Wisconsin), Quartermaster, and US Calvary. I haven't had a problem with any of them, honestly.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by wjohnc
                Incidentally, I recommended the duty gear come from the OfficerStore.com, but it's not too late to change that.
                Oops, I misspoke, er...mistyped. I meant that I recommend we buy from officerstore.com, but the gear is all Uncle Mike's nylon.

I eagerly await more replies on this topic

wjohnc

getting tired...
                Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                  ^ Blumenthals I try to avoid if possible, as their prices make Galls look cheap... But where is Leeds, and how do their prices compare?
                  IN Tacoma at 69th and 6th Ave.

Comment

Originally posted by wjohnc
                    Oops, I misspoke, er...mistyped. I meant that I recommend we buy from officerstore.com, but the gear is all Uncle Mike's nylon.

I eagerly await more replies on this topic

wjohnc

getting tired...
                    Why Uncle Mikes? Just about everyone I know hates Uncle Mikes gear.

A good suggestion for Nylon is "PatrolTek" from Bianchi Accumold. This is basically "Galls Brand" Accumold knock-off gear with the Bianchi name on it. They've been making knock-off fear for Galls and several other companies for awhile now, so they're finally putting their brand onto it.

If you have any equipment, your going to want molded pouches for it. Even if its just a Strion or Stinger flashlight. The pack cloth variety of Uncle Mikes makes it very hard to reholster gear without using both hands, and looking like a goof.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier

A good suggestion for Nylon is "PatrolTek" from Bianchi Accumold. This is basically "Galls Brand" Accumold knock-off gear with the Bianchi name on it. They've been making knock-off fear for Galls and several other companies for awhile now, so they're finally putting their brand onto it.

If you have any equipment, your going to want molded pouches for it. Even if its just a Strion or Stinger flashlight. The pack cloth variety of Uncle Mikes makes it very hard to reholster gear without using both hands, and looking like a goof.
                      Agreed. My entire rig is Bianchi Accumold, except my Uncle Mikes Pro-3 holster. I tried out the Bianchi holsters when I was first looking at the purchase of one, and didn't like the way they draw... Same with the Safariland ones... So I stick with my standby... at least until that fabled Pro-4 with the fingerprint release finally comes out... lol
                      Shoulda called in sick.
                      Be safe!

Comment

I go to a little place in my town called "The line of duty" they are reasonably priced for the most part. Unfortunately, they are rather small, if I need something that I would get from Galls or the like, I go to L.E.E.D. (Law Enforcement Equipment Distribution) Their prices are typically a little on the higher end it seems at times. But then again that is where I have gotten some of my best bargains.
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                          Agreed. My entire rig is Bianchi Accumold, except my Uncle Mikes Pro-3 holster. I tried out the Bianchi holsters when I was first looking at the purchase of one, and didn't like the way they draw... Same with the Safariland ones... So I stick with my standby... at least until that fabled Pro-4 with the fingerprint release finally comes out... lol
                          My holster was a SS III with the 1.5 inch drop adapter. I didn't like the way Uncle Mikes holsters stick out so far. I dislike the Bianchi holsters due to their lack of retention.

Probably just going to get an 6802 SLS.

Comment

Uncle Mike's and PatrolTek

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier

Uncle Mike's gear is favoured by the cops I spoke with. However, cops and security are different breeds and I should have spoken with you guys before recommending UM's, but I wasn't aware of SIW at that time, and the only other people around here I could speak with are money guards, and the ones I've spoken with (even during breaks) aren't very friendly folk.

I am very open to suggestions on the brand of belts, cases, and holders. You mentioned the UM cases make the guard look "like a goof", okay, I'll change that, if, indeed, UM is as unpopular as you make it seem.

All that said, while OfficerStore.com has the best prices for gear, Quatermaster has PatrolTek, and if that is as universally liked as much as it appears UM is disliked then I will change as necessary.

thank you, sir
                            wjohnc

Comment

These are rules I have found in buying duty gear:
                              1) Shop around. You named one store, I named another. There are hundreds of catalog companies out there. Verify they will ship to you, first off. Both stores we named are US outfits.

2) Find somewhere local that sells police stuff. Go there. Look at the gear. See how it feels in your hand. I know cops who love UM. I know cops who hate it. I know security folks who hate it and love it, as well. This is an argument along the lines of "Ford vs. Chevy."

3) Figure out what the employee is going to carry, then work around that. If they're going to carry absolutely nothing, and you only need a spiffy uniform belt, then buy a Safariland Gloss Black belt and some keepers. Its sharp, looks like patent leather, and will last awhile. If they're going to actually carry gear, then figure out what gear will be carried, and how it will fit into the cases. UM Sidekick gear suffers from not being molded, reholstering hard gear is hard because the pack cloth has no form. This is not a problem if your not carrying anything. It is, however, if you are.

4) Find the best price.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X