X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by T202
    Well they are doing it again. Now they say by 2009 the bubble will be gone. I'm guessing that the next thing to go will be the blue paint job. The same color blue has been used since 1956.
    I assume by you saying it will be gone by 09 you are referring to this...

Originally Posted by The Michigonian Press
    Lansing MI- Michigan State Police reports that by 2009 the "bubble-light" as troopers refer to it will no longer appear on new patrol cars, but will be replaced by a more "modernized" look.

It was only a single topic amongst many at the quarterly review meeting, one of the final discussions to be had on the Monday evening, but certainly not the least important. Administrators and ranking officials from the Michigan State Police discussed a piece of police vehicle equipment that will soon be a thing of the past.

"It's weird, it feels like we have lost something near and dear to us and every trooper who has worked these highways, but we know it is for the best." Lt. Timothy Kearnst of the State Police said.

By 5:00pm on Monday evening it was decided that the Michigan State Police will retire their current overhead lighting system, commonly referred to as "The bubble-light."

As you cruise along Michigan's highways and interstates, a-top the State Police's vehicles, foreigners of Michigan get to see an interesting sight; a bubble-light. Named for its unconventional look, the "bubble-light" is a single red lens on the center of the roof with a rotating light inside.
    Michigan officials deemed the light was, "no longer meeting the needs of Michigan's law enforcement..." and it, "does not provide the appropriate and immediate identification of a law enforcement vehicle to drivers from elsewhere in the country."

According to studies, Michigan has become more and more of a thru-way for drivers from all over the country, which has been posing a serious problem for the state police.

"I didn't know what to think at first, it was dark out and all I saw behind me was a big red shining light, then it went away, then it came back. I was frightened at first as I had no idea what it was that was closing in on me. As it got closer I could tell it was a police car because it had more lights on the inside and above the bumper. It just, didn't look right." A driver native to Illinois reports.

Michigan State Police currently deploy lighting equipment from Unity Manufacturing which boasts the light is the most powerful light on any police car to date. However; Michigan State Police officials feel the worth of lighting equipment cannot be based on sheer light output.

The Michigan State Police have not yet announced what design will be taking the place of the bubble-lights, but state that they will be looking into multiple different providers.

-9/26/2006 - The Michigonian Press

Well, that is a satire article. No one cited in the article exists and neither does the news company.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Bridgegate
    Cheaper over the long run... Because LEDs use only a small fraction of the power that normal halogens or strobes use, it doesn't put a huge strain on the vehicle's electrical system, causing less down time for alternator/battery replacements. In addition to that, the LEDs themselves tend to last longer than halogen or strobe bulbs, meaning less downtime for bulb replacements.

So yes, they're a bit spendier at first, (although the prices ARE dropping as they're becoming more mainstream), but in the long run they end up being cheaper overall.
    Good point Bridgegate. I hadn't thought about the maintenance angle. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I know the new LED lightbars have many advantages, but they are also very expensive right now. I see police departments spending money on these new bars instead of making due with the strobes and using the money for other important equipment and/or manpower.

Are they safer than the strobes? Is that why or is there another good reason for this expense?
    Cheaper over the long run... Because LEDs use only a small fraction of the power that normal halogens or strobes use, it doesn't put a huge strain on the vehicle's electrical system, causing less down time for alternator/battery replacements. In addition to that, the LEDs themselves tend to last longer than halogen or strobe bulbs, meaning less downtime for bulb replacements.

So yes, they're a bit spendier at first, (although the prices ARE dropping as they're becoming more mainstream), but in the long run they end up being cheaper overall.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    New Light Bars

I know the new LED lightbars have many advantages, but they are also very expensive right now. I see police departments spending money on these new bars instead of making due with the strobes and using the money for other important equipment and/or manpower.

Are they safer than the strobes? Is that why or is there another good reason for this expense?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by T202
    Well they are doing it again. Now they say by 2009 the bubble will be gone. I'm guessing that the next thing to go will be the blue paint job. The same color blue has been used since 1956.
    That's too bad. I say if it works, don't "fix" it. I love that shade of blue. It's an eye catcher.

Leave a comment:

• T202
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    It seems like there is always something new with light bars these days. They are impressive. Still, there is something to be said about the MSP and their classic style rotating bubble light. I like it and it can be seen readily from any direction. I heard that the state police were considering a change to light bars, but changed their minds after people complained about changing a classic feature of the MSP.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Interesting concept. For those that don't know, Amscot is a check cashing company. Cash loans, check cashing, pre-paid credit cards, bill pay, etc.

The first time I saw an LED light bar was 2 miles away on a summer day. It was an FHP CSO vehicle. You could tell this, and it was impressive as hell at the time, because the light bar would switch from "rotator" mode to flashing like mad with the words FHP in the center, then go to "MOVE LEFT." Then back to light bar mode.
    It seems like there is always something new with light bars these days. They are impressive. Still, there is something to be said about the MSP and their classic style rotating bubble light. I like it and it can be seen readily from any direction. I heard that the state police were considering a change to light bars, but changed their minds after people complained about changing a classic feature of the MSP.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Taylor
    replied
    Some have mentioned the better handling in the snow with front wheel drive cars. The Chrysler 300 has an all wheel drive option. It is essentially the same vehicle as the Charger, just different sheet metal and trim. I think if the LE version of the Charger were offered with AWD it would make about the best all around patrol vehicle for snow country.
    I am glad to see some potential real competition for the Ford. Not that I don't like the Ford, but competion tends to improve all competitors.
    On the Colorado. My father-in law is a mechanic at a Chevy dealer. He has said that the Colorados have been nothing bu trouble since they were introduced.

Leave a comment:

• FDG06
    replied
    Rumor around here, was the contract for Crown Vic P71 expires with the 07 model and they may abandon any/all CV production at that time.
    Dodge made the move a year early with the Charger and supposedly has a Chrysler M300 strictly for LE in the works..anyone hear this as well?
    Yoda

Leave a comment:

• S/O245
    replied
    The new ones i think look more bulky i guess you would say. I know of sa PD that went to them because they say it will probably be cheaper on fuel and up keep. I dont know if they can go as fast as the crown vics i hope they can. So far they havent had any problems. As far as what those guys think about it i havent heard anything yet. For me when im forced or even change gear etc my self it sometimes takes me a while to like it or give it a chance. By looks i like the crown vic better. But i have no idea if it really is or not. I can tell you a buddy of mine drives a dodge cruiser, and its one of the fastest cars on that side of the county. Much faster than the vics.

What kind of cars do you guys that do patrol use ? My assignment is a little patrol and some stationary etc. I use my own car for work. Which i kinda like. At least i dont have to drive it back to the office.

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    Something interesting....twice in the past week I have seen FWC officers working road construction. Not that anythign is wrong with that but I don't think I've ever seen anyone but FHP, Sherriff Office, or Local boys working em....

Of course we's got us a lot of road construction here in escambia county

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Sounds like a DOT Commercial Vehicle Enforcement truck to me. Wildlife usually says STATE OFFICER on it, and are grey and blue.

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    I believe FL DOT has blue and whites...not sure. Nathan??

Leave a comment:

• trickynek
    replied
    seen in florida: "state law enforcement" vehicles

i found this thread when investigating the amscot security vehicle mentioned.

i am curious about the vehicles with blue and white (i think) bands that I have seen in florida that say 'state law enforcement' on the back, and have the florida seal on their doors. all of a sudden maybe 6 months ago i started seeing these trucks and suburbans everywhere and wondered what their function was.

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Interesting concept. For those that don't know, Amscot is a check cashing company. Cash loans, check cashing, pre-paid credit cards, bill pay, etc.

The first time I saw an LED light bar was 2 miles away on a summer day. It was an FHP CSO vehicle. You could tell this, and it was impressive as hell at the time, because the light bar would switch from "rotator" mode to flashing like mad with the words FHP in the center, then go to "MOVE LEFT." Then back to light bar mode.
    They are supposed to convert all thier units by late 2007 with LEDS. They already have the new radio system running. We had one in about a week ago and he had the LEDS inside over head behind the windshield. All the way accross! It was fascinating to see it work.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X