Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New cop cars.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by darrell
    1) I aint a smart A$$ or jerk
    2) Call Whelen and ask them about the edge strobe bar and the black section and PM me what they say. I just called them and yes you can get it. I also spoke to the rep today and he said the same thing.

    3) Its tis also my hobby..
    1) why do you get so defensive, obviously you don't read posts very carefully. If you had you would see that I was polietly telling you that my posts were not meant for me to sound like a smart a$$ or a jerk.

    2) I don't need to call Whelen, my buddy is a Whelen rep and an installer. You can still get the black sections but only as replacements for the older bars. Like I said the new bars are modular, black sections won't fit. I suppose if you really wanted one you could put one on but it would defeat the purpose of a modular lightbar.

    3) Great, glad to share the hobby with you

    4) Why are you dragging this issue out? Is it really that big of a deal to you?

    Comment


    • #62
      A question for the lightbar "experts"

      With LED technology rapidly moving into the emergency lighting market, why don't the manufacturers make the visor lights and similar small lights with battery power instead of a cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter?

      The amps that LED lighting uses are much less than halogen, etc. The advantage IMO is that I wouldn't have a 3 plug adapter cluttering up the lighter area in my vehicle.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

      Comment


      • #63
        Battery dies, and you don't know it. You have a non-functional light bar. Some jurisidictions state that you can no longer lawfully conduct traffic stops.

        However, most of these visor and dash lights that plug in via cigarette lighter... I don't know. I'm used to direct wire applications to the switching box.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          Battery dies, and you don't know it. You have a non-functional light bar. Some jurisidictions state that you can no longer lawfully conduct traffic stops.

          However, most of these visor and dash lights that plug in via cigarette lighter... I don't know. I'm used to direct wire applications to the switching box.
          I thought about the battery issue and you're right, batteries shouldn't be used for primary lights. I would market the battery-operated lights as supplemental only. In my case, I have two Deckblaster units plugged into an adapter that goes into my lighter. For supplemental lighting, I use two Lightman strobe units clipped to my visor that are powered w/ batteries. I would like to replace those w/ a visor LED light. I don't have the expertise to covert the market's visor lights to battery instead of the plug.

          I'm hoping that the warning light manufacturers will see the 'light' and give buyers the option. Time will tell.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Mr. Security
            With LED technology rapidly moving into the emergency lighting market, why don't the manufacturers make the visor lights and similar small lights with battery power instead of a cord that plugs into the cigarette lighter?

            The amps that LED lighting uses are much less than halogen, etc. The advantage IMO is that I wouldn't have a 3 plug adapter cluttering up the lighter area in my vehicle.
            NA is right, the batteries will die and that could be bad while responding. Also, most batteries are 1.5 volts, a car is 12 volts. This would significantly reduce the effectiveness of LEDs and might not even be powerful enough to power them anyways. You could forget about a battery powered strobe or halogen as it would suck the juice right up. Now you might be saying, well the lightman is a strobe and its battery powered and it works. The lightman strobe is not designed to be a 'warning light' therefore does not punch out much energy. The strobe lights used for warning lights use much more powerful power supplies. As battery technology improves you might see battery powered warning lights.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
              NA is right, the batteries will die and that could be bad while responding. Also, most batteries are 1.5 volts, a car is 12 volts. This would significantly reduce the effectiveness of LEDs and might not even be powerful enough to power them anyways. You could forget about a battery powered strobe or halogen as it would suck the juice right up. Now you might be saying, well the lightman is a strobe and its battery powered and it works. The lightman strobe is not designed to be a 'warning light' therefore does not punch out much energy. The strobe lights used for warning lights use much more powerful power supplies. As battery technology improves you might see battery powered warning lights.
              I hope so. In the meantime, do you think that you could modify the visor light to take 8 AA lithium batteries (1.5 x 8 = 12V) for use as supplemental, not primary lighting?
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

              Comment


              • #67
                [QUOTE=Mr. Security]I hope so. In the meantime, do you think that you could modify the visor light to take 8 AA lithium batteries (1.5 x 8 = 12V) for use as supplemental, not primary lighting?[/QUOTE

                I'm not sure. I think it would be possible on the strobe but not the LED as the LED is too thin of a housing. What you should do is get a Whelen Flatlighter and remove the strobes. Buy two 500 series LEDs from Whelen and pop them in there. Then modify the housing to accept batteries. LED and Battery powered.

                Comment


                • #68
                  [QUOTE=Michael Ledgerwood]
                  Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  I hope so. In the meantime, do you think that you could modify the visor light to take 8 AA lithium batteries (1.5 x 8 = 12V) for use as supplemental, not primary lighting?[/QUOTE

                  I'm not sure. I think it would be possible on the strobe but not the LED as the LED is too thin of a housing. What you should do is get a Whelen Flatlighter and remove the strobes. Buy two 500 series LEDs from Whelen and pop them in there. Then modify the housing to accept batteries. LED and Battery powered.
                  Probably would work, but more trouble than it's worth. I'll stick w/ the Lightmans until the market catches up. Thanks though.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    [QUOTE=Mr. Security]
                    Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood

                    Probably would work, but more trouble than it's worth. I'll stick w/ the Lightmans until the market catches up. Thanks though.
                    I did some checking on a lightbar forum i belong too. Turns out your not crazy after all . Several people have successfully attempted what you suggested. One person took a Federal Signal Condor, hooked it up to a 9v battery and ran it for five hours. So I guess you could do it if u wanted probably cheap too.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      [QUOTE=Michael Ledgerwood]
                      Originally posted by Mr. Security

                      I did some checking on a lightbar forum i belong too. Turns out your not crazy after all . Several people have successfully attempted what you suggested. One person took a Federal Signal Condor, hooked it up to a 9v battery and ran it for five hours. So I guess you could do it if u wanted probably cheap too.
                      Careful. You're blowing my cover.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        [QUOTE=Mr. Security]
                        Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood

                        Careful. You're blowing my cover.
                        hey didn't you know thats what I was going for all along

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          [QUOTE=Michael Ledgerwood]
                          Originally posted by Mr. Security

                          hey didn't you know thats what I was going for all along
                          It worked. I admit it. I'm crazy -- like a fox that is!
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by 1stWatch
                            I have not seen the new Dodge models. The police where I live recently made a partial switch to the Dodge Intrepid. My opinion of it is it's a piece of crap. They already have the front ends of them falling off and getting axles bent. The tires are low profile so the ride is rough and there isn't enough room inside the car.
                            When I first went into LE, we were using Plymouths and then changed to Dodges with the 440 sixpack. Then we went to the Fords with the 460 motor. It was a rural environment. Still...nobody can outrun a Motorola.
                            Last edited by Curtis Baillie; 07-27-2006, 11:14 AM.
                            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

                            Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Concerning that security vehicle I took pictures of about a month ago. (You know, the one that started the debate about the lights? ) It was backed in with the rear facing towards the street. Got a look at the tag (sorry, did not have my camera with me this time). It has a regular vehicle tag on it!? I plan to get shot of it this coming week end or my days off. There where two of them the other day. Curious....
                              My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

                              -Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

                              -It's just a job kid deal with it

                              -The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Your OK with Amscott

                                Well, have not got around to checking that other vehicle yet. But this one showed up the other day. I was suprised to see who it belonged to!



                                Sorry for the fuzzy picture, my image editor sucks.
                                My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

                                -Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

                                -It's just a job kid deal with it

                                -The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X