New cop cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T202
    The Dept I retired from has several Tahoes, the 2WD version. They're not too bad to drive. I was reading the 2006 patrol vehicle evaluation and the Dodge Charger top out at 150mph. Here is the link if anybody likes reading about this kind of stuff.
    That's interesting. They certainly are thorough.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by T202
      The Dept I retired from has several Tahoes, the 2WD version. They're not too bad to drive. I was reading the 2006 patrol vehicle evaluation and the Dodge Charger top out at 150mph. Here is the link if anybody likes reading about this kind of stuff.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...6274--,00.html

No thanks, Id rather go to Gratten Raceway and watch the testing first hand then read the stats..

My buddy decals, installs all lights and systems in all the MSP cars, Detroit PD and a few other departments. He says the chargers are smaller then they look inside and they are a PITA to put equipment.

If its a DODGE then its prone to the same problems, engine and transmission failure or an electrical fire.
      http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

New police vehicles and lightbars

hi to all

Thought id share this website on police vehicles and lights lots of live lightbar demos so with slower connections might take while its worth waiting pretty cool there are about 6 or so pages of this. enjoy there is alot of text but you can skip all that.

http://www.policemotorsdivision.com/

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by rentacop74
          hi to all

Thought id share this website on police vehicles and lights lots of live lightbar demos so with slower connections might take while its worth waiting pretty cool there are about 6 or so pages of this. enjoy there is alot of text but you can skip all that.

http://www.policemotorsdivision.com/

Tim
          I don't know if their serious or not, but there's a specific disclaimer that may or may not matter, stating that they will prosecute any private individual or corporation attempting to view their website.

Personally, reading their website made me wonder if a computer wrote it. Its hilarious. Also, there's sound data on the website.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I haven't met a purchasing manager or fleet director who would sit still long enough to read that page. If its a confidential page put a darn password on it. If they think a poor graphic of a car is secret squirrel information, we need a password to keep THEM out. Extremely poor site with rambling text and poor grammar as already pointed out. Would you buy a car from someone with that website?
            Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by darrell
              If its a DODGE then its prone to the same problems, engine and transmission failure or an electrical fire.
              Not to start a vehicle debate or anything, but that's not really true... As far as LE vehicles go, Dodge (and the other DCX companies) held the majority for YEARS... It was in the late 80's/early 90's that they dropped out for the most part, and departments went to the Caprices & Vics... Then GM dropped their RWD lineup, leaving Ford with a monopoly on LE vehicles... Which stinks, because the CVPIs have had more engine/tranny problems than I've ever heard of the Caprices or Dodge vehicles having... Ask any "old school" cop, and they'll tell you they miss the old Caprices, Grand Furys, Diplomats, etc...

The biggest failure for the Intrepid as a LE vehicle, was the fact that it's FWD, and they were prone to major brake problems... The engines and trannies weren't an issue.. (Except that they were puny v6s and lacked power comparatively speaking)

I for one am looking forward to getting to ride/drive one of these new PP Chargers..
              Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
              Originally posted by ValleyOne
              BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
              Shoulda called in sick.
              Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                Not to start a vehicle debate or anything, but that's not really true... As far as LE vehicles go, Dodge (and the other DCX companies) held the majority for YEARS... It was in the late 80's/early 90's that they dropped out for the most part, and departments went to the Caprices & Vics... Then GM dropped their RWD lineup, leaving Ford with a monopoly on LE vehicles... Which stinks, because the CVPIs have had more engine/tranny problems than I've ever heard of the Caprices or Dodge vehicles having... Ask any "old school" cop, and they'll tell you they miss the old Caprices, Grand Furys, Diplomats, etc...

The biggest failure for the Intrepid as a LE vehicle, was the fact that it's FWD, and they were prone to major brake problems... The engines and trannies weren't an issue.. (Except that they were puny v6s and lacked power comparatively speaking)

I for one am looking forward to getting to ride/drive one of these new PP Chargers..

I know I'm really dating myself, but the first two cops cars I ever drove were a Ford Galaxie 500 and a Doge Polaris. Hands down I preferred the Dodge for strength and reliability. The Gran Fury won hands down over the Ford LTD II. Once Dodge resorted to the Diplomat though the end was near. I've used the Intrepid and would take the an Impala any day. I've driven and looked over the new Charger PP, not enough room and difficult to get in and out of. Also most PD's don't want to take the chance on a totally new vehicle with no track record on reliability and maintenance. The Intrepid was a poorly thought out attempt to squeeze back into the market and did more harm than good. With deals for departments doing mass buys of Crown Vics, its gonna be a tough sell for the Dodge.
                Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by ycaso77
                  ...Also most PD's don't want to take the chance on a totally new vehicle with no track record on reliability and maintenance. The Intrepid was a poorly thought out attempt to squeeze back into the market and did more harm than good. With deals for departments doing mass buys of Crown Vics, its gonna be a tough sell for the Dodge.
                  Very true... Although things are looking good so far... Oregon State Police just bought a fleet of 45 of them a couple months ago, and I've heard nothing but good things so far... In fact, the ONLY complaint I've heard is that the volume knob for the stereo is too close to the shifter, so on occaision when putting it in gear in a hurry, the knuckle bumps the knob and the stereo suddenly starts blaring.... lol
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

Comment

Which stinks, because the CVPIs have had more engine/tranny problems than I've ever heard of the Caprices or Dodge vehicles having.

This is a very untrue statement. I don't know where you are obtaining the basis for your facts but you are wrong.

The LT1 transmission was a good Corvette tranny but its wasn't built to handle the torgue of the Caprice's engine and the body weight. You can obtain all the vehicle maintenace records from every department in the country and you will see that the Ford has the lowest maintence of any police vehicle on the road.

I can forsure support this statement with no less then 10 departments maintenance records.

1 of which my dad was in charge of keeping.

Port Huron has a fleet of 18 cars.

Chevys- 18 cars totaling 40+ tansmissions during the years of the whale.
                    Dodge- 18 cars, several fires from electronics, and 25+ transmissions
                    Ford- 18 Cars, 3 transmission problems
                    http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3203/darrell29jc.gif

The FUTURE is MSP...

Comment

Originally posted by darrell
                      Port Huron has a fleet of 18 cars.

Chevys- 18 cars totaling 40+ tansmissions during the years of the whale.
                      Dodge- 18 cars, several fires from electronics, and 25+ transmissions
                      Ford- 18 Cars, 3 transmission problems
                      Well, the only thing I can tell you is either the guys in your area liked to abuse their Chevys, or the guys over here like to abuse their Fords... In this neck of the woods, Ford = bad trannies... ESPECIALLY in the vics and taurus'..
                      I've got friends in a lot of different LE agencies, and security patrol companies... And they all say the same thing...

I didn't think that the different regional styles of LE/security work would actually affect the reliability of the vehicles, but I suppose anything's possible..
                      Shoulda called in sick.
                      Be safe!

Comment

There is an insurance firm just inside of town that uses the City PD for thier security. But after hours and on the weekends I see this parked in the front. No one in sight I think it's a "fake" car to ward off problems. Could not see a company name on it. I didn't get out to check the tag because this area tends to have over zelaous cops that jump on anything that moves. Anyone recognize this design? Sorry about the text crap, the photo editing on this stie tends to be weird.

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="512">
                        <tr>
                        <td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 14; font-weight: bold">.</span></font></td>
                        </tr>

<tr><td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 12">.</span></font></td></tr>

</table>

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="1">
                        <tr><td> </td></tr>
                        <tr>
                        <td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 14; font-weight: bold">.</span></font></td>
                        </tr>
                        <tr><td align="center"></td></tr>
                        <tr>
                        <td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 12">.</span></font></td>
                        </tr>
                        </table>
                        <tr><td> </td></tr>
                        <tr>
                        </tr>
                        <tr>
                        <td align="center"><font face="verdana"><span style="font-size: 12">.</span></font></td>
                        </tr>
                        </table>
                        <tr><td> </td></tr>
                        <tr>
                        </tr>
                        <tr>
                        </tr>
                        </table>
                        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
                          .....No one in sight I think it's a "fake" car to ward off problems.......
                          Not a bad idea. Especially if someone moves it around periodically.
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Its an illegal vehicle by 493. It has white on the lightbar. I don't recongize it, though.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

The lightbar is an edge. Very similar to the ones the city uses. A crime prevention unit maybe by the city? The public safety officers of the city and the service deputies of the county use amber and white.
                              My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
                                The lightbar is an edge. Very similar to the ones the city uses. A crime prevention unit maybe by the city? The public safety officers of the city and the service deputies of the county use amber and white.
                                Its a city vehicle. I blew it up in photoshop. It says "CRIME PREVENTION" above enforcement. The rear has Emergency 911. The front is a badge logo with a city or state of Florida seal on it. Private Security company puts the state of Florida seal on their car, they're toast.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X