No announcement yet.

New cop cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the extremely wealthy, Hummers. Ho Hum.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
      For city PD's, how about the Taurus?
      The PD in my home town used Taurus' in the late 80s/early 90s... They didn't look too bad, but they were weak in comparison, and not as roomy... And if you thought trannys in the CVPIs were bad, stay AWAY from the Taurus..
      The new Taurus' have the same problems.. Local PD here uses one for the civilian volunteer patrol program, but that's about it... They're just not suited for real Police work..
      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
      Originally posted by ValleyOne
      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
      Shoulda called in sick.
      Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        I do know, however, that if it wasn't for large fleet commitments by agencies and the Federal Government, the CV frame would of been axed long ago. Only people who want CV frames are the elderly, the moderately wealthy, and fleet customers.
        What about the hundreds of Taxi companies that use a CV in their fleet? I think I read that the Taxi services can even buy a taxi package that is longer than the police package due to a larger trunk. I may be wrong about that but it's been awhile since I read that article. As popular as these vehicles are I can't imagine Ford doing away with it. Of course, some things corporations do these days blow my mind.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
          What about the hundreds of Taxi companies that use a CV in their fleet? I think I read that the Taxi services can even buy a taxi package that is longer than the police package due to a larger trunk. I may be wrong about that but it's been awhile since I read that article. As popular as these vehicles are I can't imagine Ford doing away with it. Of course, some things corporations do these days blow my mind.
          Ford is keeping the fleet (including police interceptor) version of the vic. The "regular" version is being phased out.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
            ...And if you thought trannys in the CVPIs were bad...
            I didn't know that. How bad are they?

Comment

I didn't know that. How bad are they?
              Well, not to say the newer Impalas are any better, (3 of the cars at my last company needed new trannies after 50k miles), but I've heard a LOT of horror stories from cops about the trannies going out between 50-70k miles... And I've noticed that a LOT of the surplus CVPIs that the state sells have "Bad Transmission" written on the sales report... They're nice cars, and do the job well... You just have to be willing to pay for those repairs/replacements when necessary...
              Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
              Originally posted by ValleyOne
              BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
              Shoulda called in sick.
              Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                Well, not to say the newer Impalas are any better, (3 of the cars at my last company needed new trannies after 50k miles), but I've heard a LOT of horror stories from cops about the trannies going out between 50-70k miles... And I've noticed that a LOT of the surplus CVPIs that the state sells have "Bad Transmission" written on the sales report... They're nice cars, and do the job well... You just have to be willing to pay for those repairs/replacements when necessary...
                Yikes!! A new transmission will set you back 2-3 thousand. No wonder their so cheap on ebay.

Comment

Where I work, we use Chevy Impala's with lightbars, sirens, prisoner screen, etc. and me being 6'3" I don't have any problems getting in or out. Before I got hired here they used to use Dodge Intrepids but had some serious mechanical problems. Even though were large enough to have our own repair facility there was still a lot of down time. The Impalas have been reliable with a few minor problems. It will be interesting to see if Dodge has fixed the problems that they had with intrepid or if the Charger/Magnum will just be another intrepid. On a side note were going to get rid of our impalas and go to Chevy Colorados in the 4 door and delete the lightbar going with slicktops instead. I'm looking forward to this but a little nervous as the Colorado is still new (anyone hear anything on them)? Our fire dept uses them but don't have much to say. oh well time will tell.

Comment

The Borough of Verdun in Montreal has a By-law enforcement unit that up until 2 years ago used mini vans similar looking to the police mini vans but with a yellow flasher bar instead of red & blue. 2 years ago they decided to save money. They bought Toyota Echos. They pull up on kids causing a disturbance in a park now & get laughed at
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Probably not... as it appears the police there use mini-vans... according to his post.
                      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Cars -

If you go to americancarfans.com there is a pic of the dodge charger and magnum all done up for the police... nice looking cars.

As far as what i drive for patrol are Honda Accords and Toyota Camerys, they are sweet cars, granted not v8 or v6's but still 2.4L and gives enough pep. The regional department (Peel police, Ontario Provincial Police) i have noticed that they went to the impalla but hated the front wheel drive and are now going back to the vic... in addition GM has changed the Impalla and specs with it.

I am waiting to see what the maintence records are for these and then i will compare them to mine... Maybe a north american auto manufacturer can make some thing that does not have a v8 (aka gas prices) and can stand up to the pounding of a life time.

Anyway chow

dave

Comment

Originally posted by mobilepatrol
                          ... Maybe a north american auto manufacturer can make some thing that does not have a v8 (aka gas prices) and can stand up to the pounding of a life time....
                          I doubt it.

Comment

SUV Police Vehicles

Some police departments use them and they have their purpose. Using them for quick response or pursuit is dangerous because of the high center of gravity, which increases the rollover risk. Why some LEO agencies use them as routine patrol vehicles never made sense to me. Not to mention the poor gas mileage.

Comment

Some police departments use them and they have their purpose. Using them for quick response or pursuit is dangerous because of the high center of gravity, which increases the rollover risk. Why some LEO agencies use them as routine patrol vehicles never made sense to me. Not to mention the poor gas mileage.
                              Tumwater, WA PD replaced all of their CVPI with Chevy Tahoes police package. They lowered them to increase safety and the officers love them. Roomy, powerful, coolfactor.

I need to gripe about the impalas though. I know in a previous post I said we had no major problems with them. Well since I made that post the damn things have been falling apart left and right . I recently drove one through the factory (5mph speed limit inside buildings) and noticed I was doing 10mph so I slowed down. Then when I got on the highway it said I was doing 120mph!!! Obviously I wasn't going that fast so it dawned on me that the speedometer was broken. That car has been out of service ever since. Another car broke down outside one of our buildings. Turns out the ignition wouldn't turn when you put the key in (our cars are fleet keyed). So car got pushed to automotive where the replaced the ignition. Down time - 5 hours (it helps having your own auto repair shop on property). We got another car that is having power steering problems. The power steering unit whines loudly every time you turn. Down time - none, slated for replacement. Finally, we had a patrol car have the brakes fail. The officer had to use the E-brake to stop. Down time - 1 week. All of this is on top of regular down time for preventitive maintenance . As I mentioned before, we are replacing our impalas with Chevy Colorado pickups so hopefully they will be better.

Comment

The Dept I retired from has several Tahoes, the 2WD version. They're not too bad to drive. I was reading the 2006 patrol vehicle evaluation and the Dodge Charger top out at 150mph. Here is the link if anybody likes reading about this kind of stuff.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...6274--,00.html

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X