New cop cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cop cars.

What do you think about the new Dodge police cars? The dealers hope to give Ford a run for their money on the Crown Vic. Apparently, the Chevy Impala is not a big hit with many departments. NYC plans to buy a fleet of the new Dodge cruisers, but the Conn. State Police have already said: "Thanks, but no thanks."
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Originally posted by Mr. Security
    What do you think about the new Dodge police cars? The dealers hope to give Ford a run for their money on the Crown Vic. Apparently, the Chevy Impala is not a big hit with many departments. NYC plans to buy a fleet of the new Dodge cruisers, but the Conn. State Police have already said: "Thanks, but no thanks."
    It would be nice to have a vehicle of the "packaged" Fury series updated and put on the street. Mr. Security I'm a victim of wishful thinking.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

Local police use Impala. I couldn't fit into an Impala if I tried.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I'll stick with a CVPI anyday.
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I still like the Expedition, though a local agency that uses Tahoes likes them well enough.

Comment

Agency I used to work for used the Impalas... They weren't BAD persay... but the power was almost identical to the CVPI, with a lot less interior room... The Dodge Intrepid that they tried to market as a PD vehicle was MUCH roomier than the Imp or CVPI, but was weak power-wise, and ended up with a lot of brake problems....

Personally, I'm a big-time Dodge guy, so it was great to see them getting back into the fray with the new Charger... Michigan just posted their results of the comparison tests a couple weeks ago, and with the exception of the 'ergonomics' portion, the Dodge vehicles blew all the other competition away... Even the v6 models had more power than the CVPIs... And amazingly enough, the HEMI models got BETTER mileage than the CVPIs that had engines almost a whole litre smaller.... Ahh, the wonders of modern technology...
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

I have not seen the new Dodge models. The police where I live recently made a partial switch to the Dodge Intrepid. My opinion of it is it's a piece of crap. They already have the front ends of them falling off and getting axles bent. The tires are low profile so the ride is rough and there isn't enough room inside the car.
              "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier

I did a ride along with a Dept that uses the Impala. I'm 6'3 and around 260. You'd be surprised, they're not that hard to get in and out of.

Comment

I remember when the WI State Patrol used to use Mustang's and Camaro's.
                  Talk about, being able to close the gap on a high-speed pursuit, huh?
                  LOL. But now they use thier trusty Crown Victoria, and rely on spike strips...
                  "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsinite
                    I remember when the WI State Patrol used to use Mustang's and Camaro's.
                    Talk about, being able to close the gap on a high-speed pursuit, huh?
                    LOL. But now they use thier trusty Crown Victoria, and rely on spike strips...
                    At least they use spikes. I remember a pursuit going down the road next to my property. It was a local Tampa Police hangout. We watched the pursuit roll by at 70 MPH after we cleared the street for them to roll though. When I asked, "Does anybody have spike strips," my friend replied, "We have to call FHP for spikes."

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      When I stopped for patch in SC, the trooper complained that he couldn't even fit his gear in the Impala. I did a ride-along in one, and it is tight with all the radios, etc. packed into the center console. Handles better in the snow here, but that's about it.

Comment

Our local PD test drove a new Charger, and also said thanks, but no thanks.

Some of the reasons were:
                        -rear window 'hangs' over the back seat (higher risk for kick out)
                        -trunk opening to narrow to accomodate emergency kits which have already been purchased/made.
                        -all equipment such as barriers, door panels, window screens etc would have to be changed. (our PD re-uses everything they can).

THose were the major reasons, but included in the decision to NOT buy them was that they would have to stock seperate parts for the Dodge in the already over crowded parts dept. at the garage. (This shop does maintenance on all city owned vehicles.)

I do like the idea of some real competition for the Crown Victoria. Over the years I have seen the Crown Vic cheapened and cheapened.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren
                          I do like the idea of some real competition for the Crown Victoria. Over the years I have seen the Crown Vic cheapened and cheapened.
                          For city PD's, how about the Taurus?

Comment

I may be mistaken, but I believe part of Ford's restructuring plan after those layoffs was to stop production of the Crown Vic. If that's the case it will be interesting to see the new market for public safety sedans.

Comment

Guys at O.com say that Ford won't stop production of the CVPI anytime soon, because the ICAP just keeps buying them up.

I do know, however, that if it wasn't for large fleet commitments by agencies and the Federal Government, the CV frame would of been axed long ago. Only people who want CV frames are the elderly, the moderately wealthy, and fleet customers.

The elderly are now driving Cadillacs. The moderately wealthy are now driving SUVs. And Fleet Customers are now driving CVPI and Expeditions.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X