ASPS, Batons, nightsticks etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASPS, Batons, nightsticks etc...

I would like to hear stories where ASPS, Batons, nightsticks etc...have been used to de-esclate a situation. The reason I ask is with my company they are optional. If you carry that you must be certafied and must used approved strikes only, how effective are those approved strikes in a real situation? I understand that if you are in fear of your life you can use lethal strikes but at that point you can pull your sidearm if you are legitametly in fear of you life. At any rate id just like to hear what you all have to say. Thanks.

I have deployed my ASP before during a confrontation, the mere action of flicking it open was a sufficient enough visual deterrent in itself, as to de-escalate the situation then and there...

If you have the option (as so many do not in this industry) I'd definitely recommend you take it!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

PR-24 FX and Asp 16 inch baton

I was working a club detail in fat city . ( fat city is metairie answer to french quarter)I got call over the radio a 103R witch is a riot. I radio back confirm what club security reported. As i did that radio call came back security and all bouncer to front parking lot!!! So i booked it to front parking lot there about 200 people out side I security make a hole and deploy my Pr-24 Fx. The people parted like red sea. Turn out be nothing but man oh man people moved.
      CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Agree with Maelstrom - have and had brought mine out in my uniform days and I guess everyone has seen the Ninja movies where someone whips something out shocking the crowd so this is no different. Now that our Police carry them, it is very common. I have also used the steel tip of mine (not deployed) to strike someone's pressure point to make them release their grip on another s/o. Crowd control has always worked with a K9 with very large chompers jumping into the crowd (10 feet from them) to playing moses. Pr24's are illegal here though I did train with them in Hapkido as a method of defence.
        "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Thanks to everyone that did post for your input.....as for the rest im dissapointed, either noone has legitimetly used there batons/asps or noone wants to post for some reason....either way be safe and have a good week~

Comment

Originally posted by shawn0331 View Post
            Thanks to everyone that did post for your input.....as for the rest im dissapointed, either noone has legitimetly used there batons/asps or noone wants to post for some reason....either way be safe and have a good week~

It may be neither, shawn, I have used my baton a few times. There isn't much to say. I deployed it and it got the job done. I had one perp think that he wanted to stab a fellow S/O while we were off duty at lunch so I deployed the MEB and he decided to leave. Never had to touch him.

Comment

I have carried an expandable baton for over ten years and have deployed it exactly once. There has always been a better option availible. The one time i did use it was when I came up on another officer fighting, and losing, i struck the b/g in the leg one time and he fell down screaming i broke his leg. (not the case)
              Wisdom - Having a lot to say, but knowing when to keep it to yourself.

Comment

I still have my old fav Casco Polycarbonate 26" (knee bruiser) from 20 years ago. It lived in my car for years in my gear bag just in case a SHTF situation arose. I do recall working the buses one Saturday night in winter with my expandable on my belt and meeting the McDonalds guard who was new and tall and skinny. He had one of those aluminium 26"er batons that scratch easily and CHING when dropped. A fight broke out as he went to stop it and during the melee could not get the baton from whatever holder he had it sitting in. It was all over in 30 seconds but later I noticed it was caught in a rubber grommet he was too cheap to replace with a baton ring / loop.

Personally unless you are LE or military police, I think you are asking for trouble with the old style sticks and yet I do know some US colleagues who swear by the old wooden batons favoured by country sheriffs 50 years ago. Whatever you have to use, not retaining it is a sure sign of a buttocks kicking coming your way.
                "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I am a firm believer in the PR-24. I know, some agencies have banned them in favor of the ASP, but in my mind nothing will stop the situation quicker unless of course you go to deadly force. During my time in CDC, I drew my PR on an inmate who was threatening a fellow officer. This inmate weighed 350 plus pounds and stood about 6'7''. I am 5'7" and maybe 160. The inmate literally cried, tears and all, while saying please don't hit me with that stick. Tell me folks, would an ASP get the same respect?
                  Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307 View Post
                    I am a firm believer in the PR-24. I know, some agencies have banned them in favor of the ASP, but in my mind nothing will stop the situation quicker unless of course you go to deadly force. During my time in CDC, I drew my PR on an inmate who was threatening a fellow officer. This inmate weighed 350 plus pounds and stood about 6'7''. I am 5'7" and maybe 160. The inmate literally cried, tears and all, while saying please don't hit me with that stick. Tell me folks, would an ASP get the same respect?
                    Well I haven't had anyone cry, but sometimes that mettalic sound of an ASP deploying has gotten people begging not to be hit.
                    SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X