Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many fire arms can you carry at your post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sometimes carry a back up weapon depending on the gig. Back up is not allowed in private security here but I am an LEO too. I also have a shotgun for the business but we don't often have a need for it or use it.
    "If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm."
    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Not carrying or being allowed to carry a back-up weapon is really odd. If you are required to carry a firearm you should be allowed to carry a BUG.

Guns break and having to defend yourself or others would dicatate the approach of having back-up equipment.

Besides it being against the law in some States, I don't see the logic behind not having a BUG. Attached to your vest it is out of sight. You'd have to be qualified with it as with your primary.

From a company perspective it is cheaper to equipment officers with one firearm. In Washington each firearm used must be owned by the company. The weapon can be leased to the officer but it must be owned by the company. Cost.

This almost ranks up there with having seatbelts on motorcycles, which was in committee here in Washington State, but died a quiet death.

Comment

Originally posted by VSTORM View Post
        Not carrying or being allowed to carry a back-up weapon is really odd. If you are required to carry a firearm you should be allowed to carry a BUG.

Guns break and having to defend yourself or others would dicatate the approach of having back-up equipment.

Besides it being against the law in some States, I don't see the logic behind not having a BUG. Attached to your vest it is out of sight. You'd have to be qualified with it as with your primary.

From a company perspective it is cheaper to equipment officers with one firearm. In Washington each firearm used must be owned by the company. The weapon can be leased to the officer but it must be owned by the company. Cost.

This almost ranks up there with having seatbelts on motorcycles, which was in committee here in Washington State, but died a quiet death.

I agree with a BUG in the security industry, just isn't allowed. That would really suck here if I had to supply everyone with a firearm. I would have to have 20 instead of the 3 that I have.
        "If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm."
        -Vince Lombardi

Comment

For uniformed duty I carry a GLOCK17 with 52 rounds of Speer Gold Dot.

In DC, no one is permitted to carry a back-up weapon in addition to their sidearm, which I find ludicrous. I know lots of officers who carry them anyway and also some FD paramedics who go out armed as well.
          Last edited by mjw064; 07-04-2008, 03:00 PM.
          Washington DC

Comment

State of Florida You can carry 2 with you. Interesting question that i haven't asked about is when it comes to a shotgun. would it count as a third or your second.
            Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

Comment

Originally posted by mad_malk View Post
              State of Florida You can carry 2 with you. Interesting question that i haven't asked about is when it comes to a shotgun. would it count as a third or your second.
              It counts as your second.

I think the idea behind the rule was one handgun, one long gun.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
                For uniformed duty I carry a GLOCK17 with 52 rounds of Speer Gold Dot. Nearby, I also have a Remington Tactical 870P Shotgun and an H&K MP5.

In DC, no one is permitted to carry a back-up weapon in addition to their sidearm, which I find ludicrous. I know lots of officers who carry them anyway and also some FD paramedics who go out armed as well.
                Man I know DC is a rough place but 52 rounds is close to 1 3/4 pounds of 40 cal. You must be expecting a fire fight with that much ammo. I carry 20 rounds 10 in the Glock and 10 in back up. I figure 19 perps dead and 1 left for a celebration shot. Cocky no trained and confident yup.
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                  Man I know DC is a rough place but 52 rounds is close to 1 3/4 pounds of 40 cal. You must be expecting a fire fight with that much ammo. I carry 20 rounds 10 in the Glock and 10 in back up. I figure 19 perps dead and 1 left for a celebration shot. Cocky no trained and confident yup.

a glock 17 is 9mm, 52 rounds with ine in the pipe, if you switch up to .40 there are 46 rounds total.

and there should always be a round in the chamber on duty, so unless you have a 9 round G27 you should think about charging your gun and topping off the mag. Its a safety thing.
                  Wisdom - Having a lot to say, but knowing when to keep it to yourself.

Comment

I don't even get handcuffs. Even though certification would be free.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                      I am REQUIRED by general order to carry 52 rounds of ammo for my GLOCK17 9mm handgun. That equates to:

18 rounds in my weapon (1 in the chamber + 17 in the magazine)
                      17 rounds in spare magazine on duty belt.

52 rounds of ammunition.
                      Washington DC

Comment

I am REQUIRED by general order to carry 52 rounds of ammo for my GLOCK17 9mm handgun. That equates to:

18 rounds in my weapon (1 in the chamber + 17 in the magazine)

52 rounds of ammunition.
                        Bah though people tell me springs in glock mags don't go bad i'm not up for testing it. glock 19 3 mags all have 14 rounds in them then one gets loaded in to the glock and a round chambered. If i can't get it done with 42 rounds then an extra 10 ain't gonna make a difference. Plus i know i'm not gonna suffer a malfunction because my mag's springs were over compressed for to long. Better 10 rounds light then a gun that doesn't feed properly.

Comment

I once worked for a state LE agency that only allowed you to carry the department issued .38 S&W Chief's Special with round nosed ammunition (also issued). I've seen those rounds bounce off windshields.
                          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by mad_malk View Post
                            Bah though people tell me springs in glock mags don't go bad i'm not up for testing it. glock 19 3 mags all have 14 rounds in them then one gets loaded in to the glock and a round chambered. If i can't get it done with 42 rounds then an extra 10 ain't gonna make a difference. Plus i know i'm not gonna suffer a malfunction because my mag's springs were over compressed for to long. Better 10 rounds light then a gun that doesn't feed properly.
                            well i dont have a choice in the matter. if i am inspected by an official, i am required to have 52 rounds on me in the configuration i described above. we also change out our magazines every two years, so i dont think it's that big of an issue with GLOCK magazines (they cost all of $10 a peice).
                            Washington DC

Comment

well i dont have a choice in the matter. if i am inspected by an official, i am required to have 52 rounds on me in the configuration i described above. we also change out our magazines every two years, so i dont think it's that big of an issue with GLOCK magazines (they cost all of $10 a peice).
                              realy were are you getting them? they cost about $18 after tax here if you find them cheap. gun stores charge $25

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X