Emergency lighting - what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency lighting - what do you use?

What do you guys use on your vehicles for emergency lighting?

On one of our patrol vehicles, a 2007 Honda CR-V, we use this in green:

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/pro...d-Ultra/Detail

AVOID this lightbar (above) at all costs. After 2 months, the weak "alleys" are already about shot and you cant individually control the features with this.

On our other vehicle, a 2002 Ford Explorer, we were using a 48" Whelen Edge but it needs repair so I found a Code 3 MX7000 in storage. It was a plain old MX7000 with 4 strobes, alleys, takedowns and rear flashers. I took it and put the 4 strobes in-board and added 3 fast rotators. Its sharp now!
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Our cars (we have five) use hide-away strobes in the tailights, two Mini-Phantoms on the rear deck (red) and a clear strobe on the dash. We have one car with a lightbar (per client request) - it's a Whelen with 4 strobes, four flshers, take-down and alley lights (amber to the front, red to the rear).
    "Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post

AVOID this lightbar (above) at all costs. After 2 months, the weak "alleys" are already about shot and you cant individually control the features with this.

On our other vehicle, a 2002 Ford Explorer, we were using a 48" Whelen Edge but it needs repair so I found a Code 3 MX7000 in storage. It was a plain old MX7000 with 4 strobes, alleys, takedowns and rear flashers. I took it and put the 4 strobes in-board and added 3 fast rotators. Its sharp now!

Chinese variety knock-off, methinks. File this episode under: "You get what you pay for." Buy American.... Take care. --K.
      Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

SpecialAgentKC, yes it is a "China bar." It even says so on the box. The company didnt want to spend money on the Whelen Liberty I had spec'd out.

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post

FireEMSPolice- Aren't you a member of elightbars too? Man, I thought you'd be able to convince them to get something better than that POS
          If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

Originally posted by tacscuba View Post
            FireEMSPolice- Aren't you a member of elightbars too? Man, I thought you'd be able to convince them to get something better than that POS
            I am. I tried to get them into anything other then a Chinese knockoff. Money talks I guess. $1,200 for a Liberty vs $xxx.xx for this crap.

Comment

We have a Whelen LFL Liberty in blue and amber. It's mostly LED, but the corners are strobe.

http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.p...85&prod_id=325
              Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                We have a Whelen LFL Liberty in blue and amber. It's mostly LED, but the corners are strobe.

http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.p...85&prod_id=325
                Hey, that's pretty sweet looking. How does security get to use blue lights, though? I thought that was for emergency vehicles only? At least in NJ it is...
                111th PAPD Class
                Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Comment

Originally posted by Security View Post
                  Hey, that's pretty sweet looking. How does security get to use blue lights, though? I thought that was for emergency vehicles only? At least in NJ it is...
                  Blue in Minnesota isn't what you think it means. Its just for government vehicles, any government vehicle can have it.

Red is the emergency/give right of way color.

Hell, MnDOT trucks use Blue to the rear.

But those HCMC ambulances, I swear, look like damned UFOs. You've got every color on that thing, and I think I saw green once!
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Since Amber is our only colour here except for police, fire and ambulance who use blue and red, some companies will spend $13.99 and get a cheap revolving 12 volt light for their cars. About 100 hours and they need a new one as the lamp has burnt out and has fused with the casing.

You get what you pay for and with most companies going for the cheaper option you will end up with 4 times as many light bars but this leads to 4 times as many failures as well. Costs of lamps should come into the picture as well.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                      Blue in Minnesota isn't what you think it means. Its just for government vehicles, any government vehicle can have it.

But those HCMC ambulances, I swear, look like damned UFOs. You've got every color on that thing, and I think I saw green once!
                      Oh, OK. Thanks for explaining it to me. I wish we could use blue here, or even green would be pretty cool. But in NJ, we are stuck with amber only.

Anyway, we have three GMC Sonama trucks and just put these mini-lightbars on each of them...

We used to have the cheap ones that NRM OZ is talking about, but I have since pushed for an upgrade! They're not the best (I would have preferred full LED lightbars, but we didn't have enough room in the budget,) but I think we still did alright.
                      Last edited by Security; 03-11-2008, 11:22 PM.
                      111th PAPD Class
                      Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Comment

We all are thinking about getting some mini-phantoms for our POV while working. By the 31st out main patrol Captains and the unit will be gone. No more sharing and switching out. And no more back up! One Officer has a set in his and they look nice. For the price they seem to be pretty decent.
                        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post

Nathan, they are UFO's..... All kinds of weird experiments and such.... Just kidding. (or am I?) The old rigs did have red all around, clear front center, and blue to the rear passanger side. Also, a green strobe on the roof, front and center to signify "Triage." The new rigs don't have the green any more though...
                          Last edited by sgtnewby; 03-12-2008, 04:15 AM.
                          Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Our owner is too old fashioned, and prefers his old MX7000 rotator bars... Although he recently started switching to the new LED "craze"... He bought a bunch of those chinese knock-off bars.... They're decently bright, and the LEDs have lasted pretty well... But the lenses have all yellowed really bad, and the alleys/takedowns are completely worthless. (My old maglite was brighter/more focused)
                            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                            Originally posted by ValleyOne
                            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                            Shoulda called in sick.
                            Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
                              Our owner is too old fashioned, and prefers his old MX7000 rotator bars.
                              Nothing wrong with the MX7000. Really great bar.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X