Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with our uniform looking like the police.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolewatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/wom...PH64KQY7JDYSY/

Resurrected this one for the obvious reason stated in the article. I don't know about the rest of the country, but the fad here with two companies is to have the vest or jacket just say "Officer" or "Patrol." One company also wears the blue stripe flag on their uniform.

The officer attacked is OK, although he's not back on the job due to his injuries. The woman that attacked him is also wanted on arson charges. We'll see if Seattle or the county actually put her away or just do the usual "catch and release" routine from the prosecutor's office.
    Yeah, that's part of why many areas prohibit the use of the term "officer" for security guards. The problem was never the guy who had "private security officer" written on his ID, it was the guy who was running around with an all-black uniform and the external vest that simply said "officer" on it.

We could argue a million times whether police/law enforcement have the monopoly on the term "officer", but when used without context most people tend to associate it with law enforcement.

Leave a comment:

• Condo Guard
    replied
    https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/wom...PH64KQY7JDYSY/

Resurrected this one for the obvious reason stated in the article. I don't know about the rest of the country, but the fad here with two companies is to have the vest or jacket just say "Officer" or "Patrol." One company also wears the blue stripe flag on their uniform.

The officer attacked is OK, although he's not back on the job due to his injuries. The woman that attacked him is also wanted on arson charges. We'll see if Seattle or the county actually put her away or just do the usual "catch and release" routine from the prosecutor's office.

Leave a comment:

• ColePhelps1247
    replied
    Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post

Here in Canada a majority of security companies issue white uniform shirts
    the few companies I worked at the white shirts were supervisors. We had grey and black (like our police). there Are A Few Companies Who Do All White shirts Though

Leave a comment:

• fortsmithman
    replied
    Originally posted by Squid View Post
    White is the worst. Polyester ring around the collar. I like something with pants that pass for something other than Security Guard before or after taking the shirt off. BDU or even blue jeans are fine with me. Navy or khaki Dockers are good. Navy slacks aren't too bad, especially if you are allowed to wear your own, no stripes, please.
    Here in Canada a majority of security companies issue white uniform shirts

Leave a comment:

• Squid
    replied
    White is the worst. Polyester ring around the collar. I like something with pants that pass for something other than Security Guard before or after taking the shirt off. BDU or even blue jeans are fine with me. Navy or khaki Dockers are good. Navy slacks aren't too bad, especially if you are allowed to wear your own, no stripes, please.

Leave a comment:

• Soper
    replied
    There won't be any increase in attacks on security guards. They know who's who, and the difference between a guard and a police officer.

Leave a comment:

• psycosteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim1348 View Post
    We were having this very discussion at work recently. The folks that I am most worried about right now are the unarmed police reserves, community service officers, police explorers, etc. Many of them have uniforms that are very similar to that of a licensed, sworn officer. We live in dangerous times right now.
    For years security companies have intentionally issued uniforms that closely resemble the uniforms of police to project a stronger image. Now with the war on the police that is being waged these uniforms are going to make security guards targets for attack. With most sites I have worked being understaffed or staffed with a single guard this makes attacking them easy. It would not shock me to see an increase in security guard attacks. I would expect the media being quiet or to downplay the increase due to the race of the people doing the attacking. I get the feeling that things are going to get explosive real soon. I would expect something to happen before the election. Nothing I can define but as a gut feeling.

Leave a comment:

• Jim1348
    replied
    We were having this very discussion at work recently. The folks that I am most worried about right now are the unarmed police reserves, community service officers, police explorers, etc. Many of them have uniforms that are very similar to that of a licensed, sworn officer. We live in dangerous times right now.

Leave a comment:

• Condo Guard
    replied
    To and from work I always wore a plain jacket or sports jersey over my uniform. I don't know what your company's uniform policy is, but I would definitely wear a cap or a name tag that clearly says "Security" on it.

Leave a comment:

• ronbach
    replied
    With all the recent shooting of police officers I worry about wearing my uniform to and from work. Ours looks exactly like the county sheriff aside from the shoulder patch which reads ****** Village. (name obscured for security reasons) Ive been mistaken for police more then once outside of work.

Leave a comment:

• zm88
    replied
    IIRC he does court security, and whybthe hell did you resurrect this thread?

Leave a comment:

• ContractSec Level III
    replied
    Originally posted by Ewfr 'Gomulee View Post
    That's what I love about your country.
    If you claim to be a cop and you're not THEN you're committing a crime... over here it's ''look like a cop... spend the night in the cells.''

When I was in School my School uniform sweater closely resembled a Police sweater
    Image shown below resembles my old sweater:

here, also, resembles what police wear:

I was actually arrested for Police impersonation by an over zealous newbie police officer.
    I guess he was new to the area... musta felt real stupid when the local Sergeant came and released me and apologised for his probationer's wrongful arrest.
    Were you arrested for wearing your guard uniform, did you sue the cop?

Leave a comment:

• NickTX
    replied
    Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
    Smart companies are more likely to be scared of DPS and their massive fines/jail times for violations. Also, once an S/O knows the law, he won't violate it if he has a brain...
    I really think DPS Enjoys their job of issuing fines liberally to Security Officers and companies.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yep

My instructors at SWP were adamant about being squared away and have probably the cleanest looking crew around. They also told us that everyone in the company hierarchy gets hit with those fines per guard. Guard, Supervisor, Op Manager, Director, and Owner all get to pay it.

Leave a comment:

• Hoji
    replied
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougo83
    Clients usually don't have that authority. We have to have our uniforms approved and registered with TXDPS...

Some folks might be scared as hell to loose any client, especially one that paye well.....

The Board loves their fines here.lol
    http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/docs/fineschedule.pdf

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X