Kimber LifeAct Guardian Angel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimber LifeAct Guardian Angel

The gun manufacturer Kimber has a line of non-lethal self-defense products called the LifeAct line which is advertised in many gun magazines. The two main products are the Guardian Angel and the JPX. Both of these are O.C. delivery agents that are different than the aerosol spray kind which many of us carry. I was at the gun store the other day and I got a deal on the Guardian Angel.

http://www.life-act.com/guardianangel.php

My initial impression is that it looked like a sleeker version of the little stun guns except where they usually have the electrified stingers there are two holes where the O.C. streams out. Also because it is designed to be ambidextrous it is all curvy and smooth and it takes a second to understand how you would hold it.

It is flat so you can clip it onto your belt using the clip and no one will notice. You can also clip it to your seatbelt when driving so you can squirt homeless people with it when they come to your window.

It has two bursts of O.C. that come out one at a time when you pull the trigger which they say has a 6.6 lb resistance (there is also a little trigger guard that you have to push away to fire).

It is different from aerosol sprays because it does not use pressure to propel the agent. Instead, the trigger activates a "pyrotechnic power drive" which pushes a piston that forces the spray out at 90 miles per hour. They say it has a range of 13 feet but the optimum range is 8 feet but not less than 2 because the speed of the spray could damage the eyes of your attacker (who cares).

I think the downside is the type and amount of spray that you are limited to if you rely on this product for self-defense. Yes it is O.C. which if you've been hit with before you know it is not fun. It says it 399,000 Scoville Heat Units. I looked at my MK4 Sabre Red O.C. which I carry at work and it says it is 2,000,000 SHUs, which seems significantly hotter. Also you only get two shots with the Guardian Angel. But maybe they are like better shots because you have the advantage of a powerful delivery method.

I would still prefer to use the traditional aerosol cans at work because of the potency and quantity of the sprays available to me. But maybe overly cautious clients/employers who refuse to allow their security officers to carry O.C. sprays could be persuaded to make an exception for this product because the delivery of the agent is pre-measured to prevent "over-kill" by the officer. It also has a nice non aggressive look to it. The website says inert units and cordura carrying cases are available.

As a big fan of OC, and an instructor, I've been keeping an eye on these since they were released. (Particularly the JPX for duty use) While the delivery system is nice, the formula they're using simply isn't nearly good enough for standard duty use. I've always told the officers that I train that if it doesn't have at least 2 million SHUs then it's junk. This stuff has less than 500k, which means even if you hit them dead-on in the face it's gonna take probably a good 5 seconds or so before they'll start feeling the effects. Not good enough for me, so I don't recommend it for anyone else.

Now if they start offering the canisters in a higher SHU rating, then I'll reconsider.
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

Sounds interesting... too bad in California it would not be available to citizens. CPC 12403.7 (e)(1) states: (emphasis added)
      No person shall purchase, possess, or use any tear gas weapon that expels a projectile, or that expels the tear gas by any method other than an aerosol spray, or that contains more than 2.5 ounces net weight of aerosol spray.
      -Jedi-
      Semper Paratus

Comment

Originally posted by HospitalPatrol View Post
        You can also clip it to your seatbelt when driving so you can squirt homeless people with it when they come to your window.

I certainly hope this is a joke... Homeless people some times approach cars regularly and yes it can be annoying but in the same respect they do not deserve to be assaulted for it so you'd better have a damned good reason to deploy your spray on them.

I am by no means a bleeding heart but I found that part of your entry cruel and inhumane, as if you're some sort of bully... Wind up your window and ignore them or tell them to move on.

I don't think I even need to go into what a cop is going to think if he recognizes it on your seatbelt either...
        I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X