Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Yeah. In most states, wearing a blazer and suit with a metal badge clipped to your blazer is not an acceptable "uniform" for security personnel. It would either make you:

1) A private investigator

2) Impersonating a police officer

Most states that regulate security require a uniform which is "a set of clothing in a similiar style which is different than the general public with at least one form of identifying patch or emblem which clearly denotes the name of the security agency."

Blazer companies comply with this by putting a shoulder patch on their uniform blazers. Usually. Those that don't skirt the "Impersonating a PI" or "Impersonating a Police Officer' charges. (Yes, you can impersonate a private investigator.)

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Let me tell you a story

Working in hotels I have always worn a blazer. (Recently they bought me suits). When I first started almost 30 years ago we worked undercover, only identifying ourselves when needed. Over the years our duties have changed. We have become more prevention oriented & most hotel security now want people to know that they are security.

At one of my hotels we were wearing the blazer. While all of the hotel employees wore name tags with the hotel's symbol & their name on it, we wore name tags with SECURITE written on it.(French is the offical language of Quebec!). I wanted us even more identified as security so I had cloth badges (I believe my US cousins call them patches) made up. They had the hotel's symbol with SECURITE written on top. I put them on the shoulders of a white uniform shirt. I wore grey uniform pants & had my handcuffs visable on my belt.

I was about 40 years old at the time. One night I was working with a rookie kid of about 20. He was wearing the blazer with the SECURITE name tag. I was in the "hard" uniform. That night we had a lot of people partying in the atrium of the hotel disturbing other guests. EVERYTIME we approached a group of semi sober people they would turn to the younger guy in the blazer & talk to him as if he was the supervisor & I, in the uniform was the rent-a-cop.

I dug out my old blazer the next day & never wore the hard uniform again!

I have replaced the name tag with a shield type metal badge that I either clip to my pocket or wear on a chain around my neck.

Neil

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    That's for sure. After all, we don't want our employees to feel like their being guarded in a prison.

Leave a comment:

• wjohnc
    replied
    For the last half of 2005 I was posted at a museum / art gallery. All guards at that site had to wear blazers in order to present a more 'friendly' face on security operations.

I hated wearing the blazer, and with any luck at all never will wear one (on the job) again. With restricted movement of arms (compared with a duty shirt), and those stupid pads on the shoulders, and excess material at the bottom of the thing (both perfect for some creep to grab a hold of), and, of course, the lesser identification ability, I believe the blazers were a risk to my safety.

But may the gods forbid anything that increases a guard's safety if it interferes with good public relations...

wjohnc

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    After I posted this, I decided that I was indeed "crazy" to think that I had any chance of changing this situation on a state level. After all, we are regulated by the DOPS a/k/a the state police. The police (and we know how much they like us) would love to keep us all in the blazer look if they could get away with it. Thus, the first preemptive strike with the requirement for goofy square badges.

I realized that my best chance was to convince my company

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    There are quite a bit of state laws on badge design and what constitutes a "uniform" already. The only problem is, in this instance, the smallest patch constitutes a "uniform."

It's like some companies go out of their way to provide uniformed security that isn't in uniform, but in blazers instead. Unless your state dosen't regulate Private Investigators, they're usually skirting the law, as most states consider anyone not in uniform to be a PI, anyone in uniform to be a security person. Being designated the wrong thing by a state inspector can have lasting reprocussions on your licensing, such as restrictions placed on or revocation of your license.

Leave a comment:

• wvd1979
    replied
    I have to agree that the type of uniform would depend on the work site and the job duties. For example, if I worked at a construction site or I was a K9 handler, I wouldn't be wearing high gloss oxford shoes. In a corporate environment, country club, or hotel I could see the blazer look. However, if you do extensive foot patrols or respond to any utility problems the blazer would not be appropriate in my opinion. The "hard" uniform look that is used by police and security officers is impressive if you polish your boots, press the uniform and have good hygeine habits. (Oh yeah, tuck your shirt in)

As for establishing state guidelines about the blazer, I think you would have better luck trying to establish guidelines regarding color combinations or badge markings/designs. I don't know if legislators would care if security personnel wear a blazer or not. Most of the uniform changes in the airline industry have come from union action within the industry itself. If lawmakers opened that Pandora's Box, next thing you know people at Burger King would demand different uniforms.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by 1stWatch
    Sure, try getting on a bike and pedalling after the armed robbery suspect who just held up one of your apartment residents while wearing a blazer. Let me know how well it works.
    Let me start off by saying that I have done a lot of stuff, climbing ladders, running, pedelling, crouching, crawlling, carrying, etc... while in a blazer suit/uniform, I dont see it as too much of a burden, however; obviously; for the work you described it is not the optimal uniform.

I can definately see what the gripes for the blazer uniform are now. Thank you for pointing this out. I typically do mobile patrol/static/corporate security. In which I have worn blazers and rarely find a problem; however; like I said, I can definately see where the complaints come from.

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
    I have worked in a blazer and I dont know what all the complaints are. If you wear it professionally and keep a good image about yourself you will have no problems. I had done hundreds of contacts while wearing that blazer and none of them went sour, a lot of people seemed to think I was some type of Secret Service official or something. You just need to know how to work what you got and you shouldnt have a problem.
    Sure, try getting on a bike and pedalling after the armed robbery suspect who just held up one of your apartment residents while wearing a blazer. Let me know how well it works.

Leave a comment:

• crankloud
    replied
    blazer

In some states in Australia we have to identify ourselves as security officers by wearing a large identification badge with large numbers (our work number)and the word security written on them. In most other states we have to identify ourselves with a uniform and the word security must appear,unless we do covert work.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    There's also the color of uniform blazer, the person wearing it, etc.

Personally, I look stupid in a red blazer and black uniform pants.
    Amen!!

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    I can see what Mr. Security is saying. Does your blazer have ANY identifying marks on it? Ie: <Company> Logo on the chest pocket, etc? If not, then I'm surprised they get away from it, because your NOT uniformed. You would be considered a "Private Investigator" in both WI and Florida, since your not displaying a visible uniform patch.
    Yes, it has an embroidered patch (not an embroidered badge) that's too small to read or recognize until you get close to me. If I remove the blazer, it's almost impossible to tell I'm security.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    If you read the posts regarding uniforms located on this forum, you will see that many of us have had problems with the blazer look. I'm glad it works for you, but it doesn't for me.
    There's also the color of uniform blazer, the person wearing it, etc.

Personally, I look stupid in a red blazer and black uniform pants. I was also prohibited from wearing a baseball cap because it looked stupid on me. I was one of the few people authorized to wear a smokey bear, though. Long face, tall, thin, etc.

I can see what Mr. Security is saying. Does your blazer have ANY identifying marks on it? Ie: <Company> Logo on the chest pocket, etc? If not, then I'm surprised they get away from it, because your NOT uniformed. You would be considered a "Private Investigator" in both WI and Florida, since your not displaying a visible uniform patch.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
    I have worked in a blazer and I dont know what all the complaints are. If you wear it professionally and keep a good image about yourself you will have no problems. I had done hundreds of contacts while wearing that blazer and none of them went sour, a lot of people seemed to think I was some type of Secret Service official or something. You just need to know how to work what you got and you shouldnt have a problem.
    If you read the posts regarding uniforms located on this forum, you will see that many of us have had problems with the blazer look. I'm glad it works for you, but it doesn't for me.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by ACP01
    Too bad. All my work is plain clothes from casual to formal wear and i use the badgeholder over the pocket when I need IDd. It works very well plus both the clients and PD go for it.

Maybe you could show them how it is easier for everyone to tell you're security in low-light situations with the badge displayed.
    I like the idea and I have done that at other sites. It does work great.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X