Cleaning keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning keys

I know this sounds stupid but everytime I touch my keys, my fingers turn black. Anyone know how to clean these things so this doesnt happen? Thanks as this is driving me nuts!
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Easiest way I can think of is a dishwasher if you can take them home. Otherwise I would aggitate them in some hot water with dish soap and then rinse. Dishsoap gets all kinds of oils and grime off keys.
    Never be afraid to try new things. Remember, amatures built the Ark while professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I can honestly say that I have never had this problem with keys. I suppose hot soapy water would take care of that.

Be Safe,

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

It sounds like you may have cleaned them with something that broke down the surface tension like lighter fluid. I get the little alcohol swabs from a pharmacy and they work well. They are like $1.99 for 100 in the diabetic section.
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

I have never cleaned them with lighter fluid, only rubbing alcohol but that doesnt work.
          "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Does the black come off your hands? In what form does it come off? Is it like an oil or like a paste?

If its something on the keys, dawn or another degreaser will take it off. If its the metal 'bleeding' the keys need replaced.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I've never heard of this continually happening. If it's the interior workings of the locks that your entering your key into that's causing them to get dirty, that's one thing, but if it's the keys themselves, well, I'd suggest that you go to another brand of keys IMMEDIATLY.

Additionally, if you find out it is the keys causing the problem, I'd appreciate it if you could list the brand in this post so the rest of us can avoid purchasing them. Thanks.

Comment

The black crapola from the keys is from inside the lock mechanisms. Some idiots use oils or WD40 for locks when graphite powder should be used for sticking locks. Depends on the environment as well. I used to be working in a building near the airport and everytime I visited the locks would always stick due to the fuel exhauts of thousands of trucks, cars and buses going to the airport and of course the planes as well too.

Other factors could be moisture, salt air, pollution or if the keys are original or copies and how often the locks are opened too. Dish washing liquid is good and will work well as an emergency lock unjammer too. Years back people played slot machines here and with the handling of the coins (silver coloured) would end up with black hands so most clubs had refresher towels at the change booth for people to use to clean up.
                "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Some how I think we are talking about car an house keys and not keyboard keys. Sounds like OZ is right on if it is house keys.
                  THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                  THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                  http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

I know what you mean... I get that blackening residue off our site keys too, I probably should point out that continued exposure to graphite powder can cause potential skin irritations, and especially corrosion when combined with aluminium & moisture

Tip of the day: wash your hands regularly
                    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I still swear by those refresher towels from the food places but you can buy antiseptic hand wash without water that works well. I carry a small bottle everytime I travel even in Australia as being sick is not my idea of a good time. An old boy told me to use an old tooth-brush to scrub a key clean if it is sticking.
                      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X