Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedi
    replied
    Kenwood has made great strives to change the battery problem. One very nice feature is that they are now using Li-Ion batteries with a 14 hour battery time and only 6 hour charge time. Also, I am not sure about the Kenwood radios you used, but when the battery is getting low on ours, there is an audible beep.

Leave a comment:

• Deputy Dawg
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    We've used Motorola GP 300's & Radius P1225's for years. Last year we bought 4 Kenwoods. They are terrible. When the battery dies, it dies, no advanced warning at all. Usually happens when you are calling for back-up.

Last week we bought a Motorola Radius CP200 with a Lithium battery. We have only had to charge it 3 times. It goes 38 hours without needing to be charged!
    yeah that is the nice thing about the CP200, if it gets a nice full charge, it lasts all day long with your average use.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    We've used Motorola GP 300's & Radius P1225's for years. Last year we bought 4 Kenwoods. They are terrible. When the battery dies, it dies, no advanced warning at all. Usually happens when you are calling for back-up.

Last week we bought a Motorola Radius CP200 with a Lithium battery. We have only had to charge it 3 times. It goes 38 hours without needing to be charged!

Leave a comment:

• Jedi
    replied
    Our hospital utilizes Kenwood TK-3160 radios.

With Pryme two-wire surveillance kits.

We replace the "mushroom" ear bud on the Pryme with the flexible open inserts.

Leave a comment:

• Deputy Dawg
    replied
    We currently use the Motorola Radius CP200 with an earpiece/mic (BodyGuardâ„¢ 2-Wire Surveillance Kit)

It's good in noisy environments but not great, but gets the job done.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Deputy Dawg; 03-03-2008, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ewfr 'Gomulee
    replied
    Whilst I was guarding at 'Comet, We Live Electricals' I ended up taking in my own set of Radios.

Motorola HT600Es.
    Very good, Very Reliable and bloody tough bits of kit... just a bit heavy though.

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    I don't see the complexity of this issue... I use a shoulder mic and am working on integrating a ear tube (yes clear), anyone who tries to strangle me with it is gonna get shot.

Will it be a perfect shot in the X ring? No, probaly not, but I promise I'll do my best to get it within the center of available mass.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Forget the speaker mics for safety, what about the bloke I saw getting choked with his gold chains his neck he as he worked a door alone ? I never knew that Mr T had relations in Australia ?

Thankfully, 2 passing police officers stepped in but this is only asking for trouble in a situation like that. All corrections staff here all use handheld radios only (lets you hear everything going on). UK police have their radios installed as part of their policing vests so the cords are hidden and our police here have the shoulder mics. Personally, I have tried to use my throat mic but like Dougo said on VOX you need to be careful, as I once dropped a table of my foot and let out a " Ahhhhhhhh "______ ing _____" which due to the "ahhhh opened up the mic for everyone to hear the 2nd and 3rd words". I learnt to be careful what was said whilst on VOX from that point.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Penthrox View Post
    So thats it eh?
    I stated my opinion, then explained that it was what I was told by my trainer. If you want to disagree it's a free country.

Leave a comment:

• Penthrox
    replied
    So thats it eh?

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    My opinion is that the ability to get on the air quick and get help rolling in a fight FAR outweighs any chance that you will be strangled with the shoulder mic.

Every PD around here uses them. I personally do not like wearing an earpiece. I think they are a good idea in a lot of settings, but they bother me when I wear them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Vox?

Would VOX provide the quick access that those with shoulder mics require? I use them working in a bar. The only thing is, if you don't want a dispatch to hear it, you gotta keep your trap shut.

Leave a comment:

• SecureTN
    replied
    Just my two cents. Working in Corrections, 90% of the officers I work with use a Shoulder Mic. I personally use a headset, but have used the shoulder mic. Sure, the danger is there I guess, but I prefer having quick access to my radio.

Leave a comment:

• Penthrox
    replied
    Just in regards to the "Movie and TV" shows using the speaker mics, I would have thought that being a member or previous member of the NYPD you would know of the NYPD Movie and Television Unit who provide all the info to TV and Movie crews about what the real NYPD use. Giving them the realism that people seek these days.

Looking back at one of my favourite shows, Third Watch I know they used the NYPD Movie and Television Unit and the Police officers on that show used speaker mics. I am not trying to have a go but as with anyone who makes a comment on here you are open to criticism as you criticised Hank1 for using a Speaker Mic.

I mean in all honesty is it that big a deal to use one? In one of my security jobs I carry a baton and firearm and i am sure they are bigger targets than my radio.
    I do not use my mic in a fashion that would be easy to choke me with either so I guess that is a plus. Mine is coming from my left side and 0900 across my right shoulder and down into the top middle of my shirt with a d hook listen only earpiece going to my ear.

Anyway I have had enough I am going to bed.

As always be first be safe

Leave a comment:

• Penthrox
    replied
    Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
    Google "largest police department in the us" and it will pop up first, that's all I'm going to say. And I can tell you I've never seen a PO from this department with a shoulder mic outside of tv and the movies. All other agencies in this city (fire, ambulance, Port Authority) use the shoulder mics, so it may just be something the department does to be different (like say 'k' instead of 'over' after a radio tx, using a different radio alpha code, ie Adam, Boy Charlie, David, Eddie, Frank, George, Harry, etc).

Also, when I was a part of this fine organization (before I moved to another state), I was just an Auxilliary officer, so who knows how good the level of training I got was.
    If its the NYPD a quick search on google came up with this photo

Guess those training tips are a little outdated.

I even found one of the "auxiliary officers" at work with speaker mics

So yeah I guess times have changed but seriously bashing on speaker mics because of the very small although present danger from being choked by it. I would and will continue to take that chance as the precious seconds it can save me getting help outweighs the fact that it adds an already large list of dangers

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X