Radio Accessories...What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penthrox

I work as a bouncer and I have found that our Cobra microTALK PR4100-2 radios work fairly well. http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...category_ID=29

I have attached the Tactical Ear Gadgets FOX headset to mine to filter noise. http://gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx...er=EPC-FOX-SET

I also can keep all radio traffic, such as communication about fights, within security. This prevents any added "help" when we arrive to break it up. Also, we have safety disconnects so we aren't out our money if they get pulled lose in a scuffle.

This set up works nice in a bar, even on concert nights. Next step is teaching the management that radios are not toys and they need to keep their stupidity to themselves during business hours.

I forgot to add this:
    http://walkersgameear.com/index.php?...hk=1&Itemid=42

It helps to protect my ear from stereo sound while allowing me to hear normal conversation in my ear without the headset attachment. Worth the money for me. I use it while shooting as well...
    Last edited by doulos Christou; 01-02-2008, 10:56 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
      Ahh, the "buff mike", the perfect object for a perp to strangle you with.

Seriously, you wear a clip on tie but keep a thick coiled wire right next to your neck? Sure, it's convenient, but...

If it was that much of a problem I don't think every PD in the country would use them.
      If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

Originally posted by tacscuba View Post
        If it was that much of a problem I don't think every PD in the country would use them.
        I agree, as with anything that you use while working, you should have training on how it is intended to be used. Many defensive tactics classes address how to protect yourself from being wraped up in your extention mic and even teach how to wrap yourself up so that it becomes less of an issue.

The department where I am a Reserve Officer does use the shoulder mic, we can take it off if it suits but most Officers leave them on. they are a convinience. after inquiring there have not been any incidents in my county where an Officer has been assalted with their own radio mic.
        Wisdom - Having a lot to say, but knowing when to keep it to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveNlearn View Post
          I agree, as with anything that you use while working, you should have training on how it is intended to be used. Many defensive tactics classes address how to protect yourself from being wraped up in your extention mic and even teach how to wrap yourself up so that it becomes less of an issue.

The department where I am a Reserve Officer does use the shoulder mic, we can take it off if it suits but most Officers leave them on. they are a convinience. after inquiring there have not been any incidents in my county where an Officer has been assalted with their own radio mic.
          Notice: This is personal experience, not a suggestion to others.

I usually wrap my cord around so that it does not go over my back. I rotate the clip up ^ 180 degrees so that the clip grabs upwards. It is then attached to my shoulder epaulet on the off-hand side. The cord runs down my 2:45 to my radio, and the excess is taken up by looping under my radio case. My radio sits at 3:00.

In this way, even if you get ahold of the mic, it just slips off the shoulder. There isn't too much slack, so you can't "just" wrap it around my neck. By the time you've gotten close enough to grab my mic, I am already watching for an attack anyway.

I've had a drunk woman grab at my ASP once, which is worn at 2 o'clock reaction side. Few gun grabs, but nobody's went after my radio or my shoulder mic. In each case, a can of whoopass was deployed (my can is tacticool black, as everyone's should be.)
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

In regard to microphones...

I'm a shoulder mic kind of guy, and I wear the mic cord straight up from the radio to wear I clip it on my shoulder.

In over a quarter century of wearing it this way, I have never had anyone try to use the cord against me as a weapon.

Could someone ever try, YES.

Could the country of Andorra launch an attack on the main land USA, YES.

Either LIKELY to happen, in my opinion, NO.

Comment

The department that trained me (very very large city's PD) does not use shoulder mics and the reason given was so no one could strangle you with it. Whenever members of this PD mentions a shoulder mic, it is refered to as a "buff mic" because radios with shoulder mics are VERY popular with police buffs in this city, along with blue suits, black Suburbans with tinted windows and more lights on it than a christmas tree, sunglasses, and Red Cross Certified First Responder cards in a wallet with a chain on it hanging from the neck.

I'll bet that Tizzy, or Hizzy, or whatever that retard from NYCD calls himself, has a buff mic.

No offence was meant to anyone here.
              The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Well seems as though you have some issues.

The police, ambos and fire department all use them here.

A lot of the security companies here use them also and I have never heard of there being a problem.

I guess it is just a difference of opinion however I would be curious to find out which PD this was so I could ask them their view on possibly endangering their officers lives by delaying the time to get to their radio.

We all know that it is easier to use a shoulder mic than it is trying to get to a radio in a hurry.

My two cents.
                Fight what is Wrong, Believe what is True, Do what is Right

Comment

I like speaker mics when working in uniform. They are a lot quicker than getting the radio out of the holder. Someone tries to strangle me with the cord, well my two hands are still free, I hope they are bullet proof!
                  ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Originally posted by Penthrox View Post
                    Well seems as though you have some issues.

The police, ambos and fire department all use them here.

A lot of the security companies here use them also and I have never heard of there being a problem.

I guess it is just a difference of opinion however I would be curious to find out which PD this was so I could ask them their view on possibly endangering their officers lives by delaying the time to get to their radio.

We all know that it is easier to use a shoulder mic than it is trying to get to a radio in a hurry.

My two cents.
                    Google "largest police department in the us" and it will pop up first, that's all I'm going to say. And I can tell you I've never seen a PO from this department with a shoulder mic outside of tv and the movies. All other agencies in this city (fire, ambulance, Port Authority) use the shoulder mics, so it may just be something the department does to be different (like say 'k' instead of 'over' after a radio tx, using a different radio alpha code, ie Adam, Boy Charlie, David, Eddie, Frank, George, Harry, etc).

Also, when I was a part of this fine organization (before I moved to another state), I was just an Auxilliary officer, so who knows how good the level of training I got was.
                    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
                      Google "largest police department in the us" and it will pop up first, that's all I'm going to say. And I can tell you I've never seen a PO from this department with a shoulder mic outside of tv and the movies. All other agencies in this city (fire, ambulance, Port Authority) use the shoulder mics, so it may just be something the department does to be different (like say 'k' instead of 'over' after a radio tx, using a different radio alpha code, ie Adam, Boy Charlie, David, Eddie, Frank, George, Harry, etc).

Also, when I was a part of this fine organization (before I moved to another state), I was just an Auxilliary officer, so who knows how good the level of training I got was.
                      If its the NYPD a quick search on google came up with this photo

Guess those training tips are a little outdated.

I even found one of the "auxiliary officers" at work with speaker mics

So yeah I guess times have changed but seriously bashing on speaker mics because of the very small although present danger from being choked by it. I would and will continue to take that chance as the precious seconds it can save me getting help outweighs the fact that it adds an already large list of dangers

Comment

Just in regards to the "Movie and TV" shows using the speaker mics, I would have thought that being a member or previous member of the NYPD you would know of the NYPD Movie and Television Unit who provide all the info to TV and Movie crews about what the real NYPD use. Giving them the realism that people seek these days.

Looking back at one of my favourite shows, Third Watch I know they used the NYPD Movie and Television Unit and the Police officers on that show used speaker mics. I am not trying to have a go but as with anyone who makes a comment on here you are open to criticism as you criticised Hank1 for using a Speaker Mic.

I mean in all honesty is it that big a deal to use one? In one of my security jobs I carry a baton and firearm and i am sure they are bigger targets than my radio.
                        I do not use my mic in a fashion that would be easy to choke me with either so I guess that is a plus. Mine is coming from my left side and 0900 across my right shoulder and down into the top middle of my shirt with a d hook listen only earpiece going to my ear.

Anyway I have had enough I am going to bed.

As always be first be safe

Comment

Just my two cents. Working in Corrections, 90% of the officers I work with use a Shoulder Mic. I personally use a headset, but have used the shoulder mic. Sure, the danger is there I guess, but I prefer having quick access to my radio.
                          "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Vox?

Would VOX provide the quick access that those with shoulder mics require? I use them working in a bar. The only thing is, if you don't want a dispatch to hear it, you gotta keep your trap shut.

Comment

My opinion is that the ability to get on the air quick and get help rolling in a fight FAR outweighs any chance that you will be strangled with the shoulder mic.

Every PD around here uses them. I personally do not like wearing an earpiece. I think they are a good idea in a lot of settings, but they bother me when I wear them.

Comment

So thats it eh?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X