Illegal Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal Weapons

FYI as I am a licenced security officer, technically I am breaking the law by carrying a combination Swiss Army Knife and a Leatherman Supertool (15 years and still going strong) as these are classified as offensive weapons but have never had any issues with the police as I am not using these items to inflict any harm against another person and they are tools of trade.

In NSW a knife blade cannot be any longer than 1.5 inches long before it is considered a prohibited item (used to be 2.5 inches to cover pen knifes, etc) but if for example you worked at say Costco and had a box cutter then you had a valid reason but you cannot carry a Rambo knife to cut your steak with.

Just curious as to what items beyond tasers, Barret .50 cals and RPG's are considered illegal for S/O's to carry whilst on duty ?
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Illegal Weapons

Illegal weapons for state Louisiana.
    Spring Loaded Baton
    Slap Jacks
    Brass Knuckles
    CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

How about "flick knives" or "spring assist" not (referring to switchblades)? I have seen allot around, the vendor states they are legal under the Criminal Code of Canada but many LEO's say different and others say there OK so there's a bit of a grey area, I used to be a fan of these due to there practicality. I'm not willing to chance it myself anymore.

Do your research before purchasing and carrying such questionable tools, saying that just about anything can be used as a weapon in the long run. Remember the kid back in grade school that used to hit the others with his lunchbox or Super Granny who puts the beats on some dumb thug with her purse whose trying to mug her?

The various potential weapons around us all the tame are endless which is why good observation of your surroundings is important...
      I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTAIN KOOLAID View Post
        Illegal weapons for state Louisiana.
        Spring Loaded Baton
        Slap Jacks
        Brass Knuckles
        I've heard of these but have yet to see one...
        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Honestly, there's only about 10 states where the Taser is illegal, and that's because its illegal for everyone. (Not security.)

As far as the Barrett rifle, in .50 BMG its illegal for citizen possession in several US states, but there are other (.416 Barrett anyone?) chamberings available.

What one has to remember is that few states outlaw things specifically for security. Many times, security is authorized to possess prohibited items that the regular public is not. These can be tear gas canisters, batons or billy clubs, tasers, firearms, etc.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I am in South Carolina and I can purchase and use on duty anything that a LEO can purchase and use on duty. Of course the security company or client can place restrictions on what we use (as is the case anywhere). However, some of my former coworkers also worked for another security company which serviced nightclub clients. This company at the request of the clients authorized its officers to carry whatever they want. These guys had those huge MK9 fire extinguisher like pepper spray foggers strapped to their legs and they even used the stuff to clear out parking lot fights lol. They even had LE tazers and I think the only condition was they had to go through a little training class for that.

I know that using my SLED card I can get those fancy opening knives, hicap magazines, hollow point rounds, tazers, the good pepper spray, etc etc etc.

Comment

You listed a lot of things in this post, HospitalPatrol, that I didn't know were actually illegal in South Carolina. Hollowpoint rounds are illegal for citizen possession? Pepper spray is illegal? Tasers?

Also, while South Carolina may authorize a SLED card holder to purchase an automatic knife, one should check federal law. I believe its illegal to purchase an automatic opener under federal law unless you are military, law enforcement (Federal Law uses its own definition of law enforcement officer, and licensed security guards would not meet the standard, as you are not considered a Law Enforcement Officer under South Carolina law, only a "person authorized to make arrests"), Firefighters, and EMS.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Well, I'm just glad no one's said that corkscrews are illegal. I refuse to drink cheap wine that comes in screw-top bottles, especially while I'm on the job where image is so important.
                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                  Well, I'm just glad no one's said that corkscrews are illegal. I refuse to drink cheap wine that comes in screw-top bottles, especially while I'm on the job where image is so important.
                  I know I, for one, haven't had a good box of wine in a long time.

Comment

Victorian law prohibits the carriage of knives other than for occupation/recreational (ie. fishing knife in tackle box) requirements, however in a push for religious tolerance (Political Correctness) a Victorian Education and Training Committee has given it's approval for Sikh males to wear the 9cm bladed 'religious' ornament... interestingly enough a counter proposal by the Education Department to wear a pendant or replica 'Kirpan' was refuted by the The Sikh Interfaith Council of Victoria.

Sikh students allowed to carry knives

Knives at school okay for religious reasons – report

Originally posted by Wikpedia
                    Sikhs often protest the characterisation of the Kirpan as a weapon. Traditionally, a Sikh should never use the Kirpan in anger or for a malicious attack. However, a Sikh may use it in self-defence or to protect a person in need. Some Sikhs choose to learn the art of Gatka. This is a martial art devised by the Sikh Gurus that uses circular movements to effectively swing a kirpan.
                    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                      I've heard of these but have yet to see one...
                      A few places in Chinatown sold them as did a few surplus stores in the late 90's before they were outlawed. Speaking of being outlawed - you know those Swiss Cards which have a credit card size plastic cut out of a knife, scissors, file and even a toothpick - they were banned as was my Mossad Pen which had a small blade inside of it (about 2 inches long).

Comment

Maelstrom will know of Wellington Surplus from the Samurai and Airsoft replicas from People and Pix magazines from the 1980's. I could buy a balisong (butterfly knife) there and have alot of fun but not bring it into my state. In another state (Maelstrom check this out) I could have bought a 92FS replica for $230 AUD at Dreamworld (theme park) and for cash no1 would have known I had it when I crossed the border in 1993. I can not own a paintball gun but I can apply to own a firearm with the right permits).

Comment

In Ma, the only thing not alowed as of now is the Taser and the Automatic knife, all other weapons/Tools are alowed. again some things are site alowed.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Unit6 View Post
                            In Ma, the only thing not alowed as of now is the Taser and the Automatic knife, all other weapons/Tools are alowed. again some things are site alowed.
                            I thought batons weren't allowed for so's?
                            If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

You listed a lot of things in this post, HospitalPatrol, that I didn't know were actually illegal in South Carolina. Hollowpoint rounds are illegal for citizen possession? Pepper spray is illegal? Tasers?
                              I had to go back and make sure that I didn't say that those items were illegal, rather I could legally obtain any item which sale is usually restricted to LE by using my SLED card.

I can't find any information that would support the idea that these things cannot be possessed by a civilian but the purchasing of these items are often restricted to LE. For example, there is a cop store around here called lawmens. When you click on the defensive sprays it says: "This product is available to Law Enforcement Personnel only and can only be shipped to a verified LE Departmental address. Please check the box to the left to affirm you are law enforcement personnel."

Also there is a distinction between the LE style and civilian tasers. They will only sell you the LE one if you are LE or you have the SLED card. However, there is no law against carrying tasers so maybe if a non LEO could get his hands on a LE taser he could carry it around.

I spent too long googling for answers on the hollow point thing and at this time I will concede that anyone in South Carolina can purchase and use hollow point rounds. I was confused on this point due to statements that other people have made to me.

As far as the knives go, I know for certain several retailers that will sell it to me because I have been considering making a big purchase. I see your point about the federal law and that it would be very difficult for me to defend my possession of an automatic knife being a civilian just because I got away with a technicality on the state level.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X