colt 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colt 1911

I would like ot know if someone is still using or if you know someone is still using the good old colt 1911 for duty gun

Originally posted by The Hussard View Post
    I would like ot know if someone is still using or if you know someone is still using the good old colt 1911 for duty gun
    I know quite a few of the guys I work with, carry it off duty.

Be Safe,

HAnk
    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I don't carry a Colt 1911, but have a KIMBER 1911 and I love it.
      One of my firearm instructors had one of the first mass
      production 1911's that he got from his grandfather.
      Definately would be a hot item if he ever wanted to sell it.
      We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
      -George Orwell

Comment

Not anymore

I used to wear my COLT government model, series 70, .45 acp in uniform, while working as a uniformed guard in the 1970's.

But these days, while the .45 acp round is still a favorite, I think most people using that round for on duty carry in uniform are using a gun that has double action, and single action ability, a larger capacity magazine, and a decocking device.

The good old 1911 .45 is a good gun in a fairly compact package (and I still carry mine on occasion in street clothes), but time and science have moved on and guns have improved alot since the 1911 first came out to help our troops against the MORO's in the Phillipines.

Comment

In the Canadian armed force the Browning high power is still used today

Comment

Don't know about any Colts in use around here, but 2 of my co-workers carry the 1911 Kimber Customs... I got to shoot one when we went to the range a few weeks back... First time shooting a .45, first time with a Kimber... Nothin but 9s and Xs... Proved to me that not only is it an awesome gun, but also that the sights on my Walther are off.. LOL
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

Not on the approved carry list here, but I know a few who carry 1911's of one manufacturer or another that work elsewhere. I would not hesitate to carry my Springfield if it were allowed.
              "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                The good old 1911 .45 is a good gun in a fairly compact package (and I still carry mine on occasion in street clothes), but time and science have moved on and guns have improved alot since the 1911 first came out to help our troops against the MORO's in the Phillipines.
                I have never carried a Colt 1911 .45 fully loaded. Isn't it a heavy weapon to carry during a 8, 10 or 12 hour tour?

Be Safe,

Hank
                " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                  I have never carried a Colt 1911 .45 fully loaded. Isn't it a heavy weapon to carry during a 8, 10 or 12 hour tour?

Be Safe,

Hank
                  Compared to say a Glock, yes. But there are lightweight versions available with alloy frames instead of steal. Those bring the weight down real close to that of a Sig.
                  "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
                    Compared to say a Glock, yes. But there are lightweight versions available with alloy frames instead of steal. Those bring the weight down real close to that of a Sig.
                    Thanks Andy.

Comment

Hank1,

I think the 1911 .45 acp is not that heavy at all. I also believe that it fits in my hand as good, or better than most of the handguns I have shot. If only it could be made in its' same size, but would have double and single action, and a decocker. It would be the absolute best.

Additionally Hank1, the all metal, full length model, does add enough weight to reduce the recoil some what. Some of those alloy models have quite abit of recoil to them, especially the shorter models.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hussard View Post
                        In the Canadian armed force the Browning high power is still used today
                        True but I believe MP's and others are using Sigs now as well.
                        I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JB diligence View Post
                          True but I believe MP's and others are using Sigs now as well.
                          I dont know for the regular army but in the reserve we still using my tank commander using a browning hp

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X