What do you carry on "The Job"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EMTGuard
    Personal duress alarm? Sounds like you work at a prison. I remember my years working 'behind the fence' and having nothing more than a 'beeper' should something happen. A basketball game turns into a fight you just hit the button and wait for backup before wading in. Control Center over the radios-"All units, Beeper activation in the Gym." Beeper activations brought everyone not assigned to a dorm or other static assignment running to you.
    I was wondering that, too, since Aussie guards seem to be big on these duress alarms. Are there alot of guards per contract, or does it simply call "911" for you?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

When I first started out in LP I carried everything I could fit. Flashlight, notepads....you know the "Works"

After about five years I was down to my handcuffs and that was it.

I learned really fast that Pens/Pencils hurt when you land on them, along with Flashlights. They also make great stabbing instruments the lifter can grab when they fly out of your pockets.

Cell phones always got broke or lost....in fact Nextel just told me that they had to replace six phones over a 3 year period and started to "question" what I was doing. I had the Signal Insurance program.....Great program for LP and Police alike.

Now as a Police Officer, I won't even go there. It's like I recycled myself all over again. My partners laugh at me, my Chief shakes his head in ashtonishment. BUT I"M PREPARED FOR BATTLE !!! That's at least what I tell myself to feel better after all the chuckles I get. Give me a another year with this heavy duty belt and I'll be slimming it down. Heck I even have spare batteries for my Tactical Light

Awhile back I'm sitting in the briefing room. An officer came into the room with his duty bag, a rolling luggage suitcase, along with an additional bag. 3 bags full of gadets and gear!! A senior officer in the room glances over at him and shakes his head and tells the guy "Hey have a safe trip, I hope the food is good on the flight". It was probably one of those funny things where you had to be there, but I couldn't stop laughing.
      Last edited by Gumshoe; 03-08-2006, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumshoe
        When I first started out in LP I carried everything I could fit. Flashlight, notepads....you know the "Works"

After about five years I was down to my handcuffs and that was it.

I learned really fast that Pens/Pencils hurt when you land on them, along with Flashlights. They also make great stabbing instruments the lifter can grab when they fly out of your pockets.

Cell phones always got broke or lost....in fact Nextel just told me that they had to replace six phones over a 3 year period and started to "question" what I was doing. I had the Signal Insurance program.....Great program for LP and Police alike.

Now as a Police Officer, I won't even go there. It's like I recycled myself all over again. My partners laugh at me, my Chief shakes his head in ashtonishment. BUT I"M PREPARED FOR BATTLE !!! That's at least what I tell myself to feel better after all the chuckles I get. Give me a another year with this heavy duty belt and I'll be slimming it down. Heck I even have spare batteries for my Tactical Light

Awhile back I'm sitting in the briefing room. An officer came into the room with his duty bag, a rolling luggage suitcase, along with an additional bag. 3 bags full of gadets and gear!! A senior officer in the room glances over at him and shakes his head and tells the guy "Hey have a safe trip, I hope the food is good on the flight". It was probably one of those funny things where you had to be there, but I couldn't stop laughing.
        LMAO...that is a classic line.

Comment

day shift duty belt 2 mobiles i radio. night shift duty belt 2 mobiles 2 way radio ,baton,maglite.

Comment

911?

Actually i work in hospital.We carry duress alarms that only emit a sound,they don't call 000(aussie emergency number) they don't relay your position to anyone, they just make a loud sound.As for number of guards contracted, i am it. 1 guard in a hospital of about 200 patients plus 35 psyciatric patients and a drug and alcohol detox unit.
            We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

Originally posted by crankloud
              Actually i work in hospital.We carry duress alarms that only emit a sound,they don't call 000(aussie emergency number) they don't relay your position to anyone, they just make a loud sound.As for number of guards contracted, i am it. 1 guard in a hospital of about 200 patients plus 35 psyciatric patients and a drug and alcohol detox unit.
              We don't call those duress alarms here. We call those annoying alarm boxes, and they sell them at the local Wal-Mart. I used to make sonic tripwires out of them, you pull the pin and it shrieks. We found them completely ineffective in their actual use, but really fun to annoy and frighten people with.

This ineffectiveness stems from the fact that 1) The attacker will not care that its loud. 2) Nobody in the US really cares if there's a shrieking noise, they just want you to shut it the f- up. Now.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Pull the pin allright!

Embarrassing to say, we can't even pull the pin. These noise boxes (lol) we wear. You actually have to squeeze two buttons in, one on either side of the alarm.Safe hey. We even have a special group of people here called occupational health and safety officers, their job is to think up this sort of crap so we don't get hurt on the job (therefore costing them less). Problem is they don't face Junkies, alcoholics and mad people. They sit in their orifice and think up stupid ideas like "duress alarms".Got anyone like that?
                We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

On my duty belt left to right
                  handcuff case w/ 1 pair peerless chain
                  radio holder - we use Motorolay MTS 2000 portables
                  Stinger flashlight holder
                  belt keeper
                  2 pocket latex glove pouch w/ 1 pr gloves and 1 cpr micro shield
                  belt keeper
                  MK3 OC-10 holder
                  Safariland level II holster with S&W Sigman .40
                  Mag pouch w/ 2 hi cap mags

In my shirt, pen, notepad, quiqlite, id card

pants; 1 pair black duty gloves, keys, knife, earplugs (jet engines are loud) and junk

On my duty belt, nothing but the latex glove pouch is mounted anywhere near my back. this helps to protect my spine should i get into a fight or a fall and distrubutes the weight better on my hips making me forget i am even wearing a duty belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
                    On my duty belt left to right
                    handcuff case w/ 1 pair peerless chain
                    radio holder - we use Motorolay MTS 2000 portables
                    Stinger flashlight holder
                    belt keeper
                    2 pocket latex glove pouch w/ 1 pr gloves and 1 cpr micro shield
                    belt keeper
                    MK3 OC-10 holder
                    Safariland level II holster with S&W Sigman .40
                    Mag pouch w/ 2 hi cap mags
                    No baton?
                    And I agree on keeping the back area clear... As much as possible anyway... I also keep my glove/first aid pouch in the back center, but I carry 2 pairs of cuffs on my belt... each in a single pouch, on either side of the glove pouch... Everything else on my belt sits from the hips forward... I've fallen/scuffled in this gear many times, and not been hurt (yet.. knock on wood).. Thank goodness for Bianchi's padded belt/gear
                    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                    Originally posted by ValleyOne
                    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                    Shoulda called in sick.
                    Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                      No baton?
                      We don't carry batons. What I was told was Boeing did a study and found the baton to be to dangerous. You got to remember there are several cramped quarters where a baton would not be useful. Also an arrant baton strike could strike an airplane and cause millions in damage. They chose the Taser x26 instead. However, we have since gotten rid of our tasers in an effort to appear more "approachable". The officers laugh at our new chiefs efforts to make us more approachable and what not but I think he has something up his sleeve and when all is done and said we will be a much better orginazation. He is getting rid of our police package impalas and going with Chevy Colorado 4 dr pickups. Also getting rid of our lightbars and going to a "slicktop" set up. I'm looking forward to it so stay tuned and ill give my opions when the switch is made.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                        No baton?
                        And I agree on keeping the back area clear... As much as possible anyway... I also keep my glove/first aid pouch in the back center, but I carry 2 pairs of cuffs on my belt... each in a single pouch, on either side of the glove pouch... Everything else on my belt sits from the hips forward... I've fallen/scuffled in this gear many times, and not been hurt (yet.. knock on wood).. Thank goodness for Bianchi's padded belt/gear
                        It makes me laugh when I see someone wearing a maglite directly on the center of their back hanging down over their rear end.
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Baton's can be quite crude...there are only certain zones you can hit on a person that would not be considered "deadly force." When a scuffle is going on, it's very hard to successfully land a solid blow to a specific part of a person's body with a baton.
                          Liability is never above officer safety. Do what you must to make sure you go home safe.

William-2, 10-6 for 105. Yep, I'm at Starbucks!

I may be gay, but I'll eff you up!

Personal Web Site

Cheap, Quality Web Design! Put a great cop on the beat by helping with my tuition! :-D

Comment

In crude terms, when it comes down to my life or his... I would like knowing I have an item that can whip the S*** out of my murdering suspect.
                            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Oh definitely, which is why I carry one myself. I would rather someone experience 100,000 SHU to calm them down, if not, then you escalate force.

<insert first line of sig here>
                              Liability is never above officer safety. Do what you must to make sure you go home safe.

William-2, 10-6 for 105. Yep, I'm at Starbucks!

I may be gay, but I'll eff you up!

Personal Web Site

Cheap, Quality Web Design! Put a great cop on the beat by helping with my tuition! :-D

Comment

I know alot of Deputies who stopped carrying their ASP when they were issued Tasers. If the taser dosen't stop them, and they're at baton level, just shoot the guy. You've lost.

I'm not kidding.

Your a security unit, not a public policing unit. You do not have to be "approachable." That is lunacy, and public policing politics have no business in the security industry. You are not there to be approachable. You are there to support Boeing's mission by protecting its interests, both personnel and property.

Your chief sounds like he's been sniffing Community Orientated Policing manuals too long.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X