• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More bad press for Taser

Amnesty calls for moratorium on stun guns after Montreal man dies
    Thu Oct 18, 4:03 PM

By The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - Amnesty International has renewed its call for a moratorium on the use of Tasers after a Quebec man became the second Canadian in less than a week to die following being subdued with a stun gun.

Quilem Registre, 38, died overnight Wednesday in a Montreal hospital.

Police have said the man was intoxicated when they stopped him for a traffic violation last Sunday and that he became aggressive when he was questioned.

Officers used a Taser stun gun to subdue him and he ended up in critical condition in hospital.

"We are in a state of shock," a member of the Registre family, who asked not to be identified, told The Canadian Press on Thursday.

The use of Tasers by police is being questioned following an incident in Vancouver where Robert Dziekanski died after being zapped by RCMP officers using a stun gun.

The head of Amnesty International's Quebec chapter said there needs to be more independent research done about their safety.

"We think the weapon is used too often against people who are not armed and don't pose a threat," said Beatrice Veaugrante.

Quebec police, who have been investigating the incident since Tuesday, refused to comment on the case.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    Police have said the man was intoxicated when they stopped him for a traffic violation last Sunday and that he became aggressive when he was questioned.

"We think the weapon is used too often against people who are not armed and don't pose a threat," said Beatrice Veaugrante.
    What was the alternative force option? Oh yea, beat him senseless with a metal baton

Granted, we don't know the full story, but still... I am sick of Amnesty International.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Amnesty International make themselves look ridiculous every time they come out with this simplistic reasoning - a logical error I have pointed out here before which even has a name: Post hoc, ergo propter hoc. It means, basically, "X happened after Y, therefore X must have been caused by Y". Naturally, this is stinkin' thinkin' and AI needs to find something better to do with their time and the money George Soros, that pathetic monkey, gives them.

Not only has AI never found one scientific shred of support for their position, but they conveniently fail to mention how many people were Tazed in that same week who didn't die, or how many of those might have died if Tasers were not available and they had to be subdued by other methods.

So...AI says that two Canadians died in one week after being Tazed and imply that they were therefore killed by the Tasers. Fair enough. Let's use their own brilliant logic and track down some other "causes of death", because way too many people are dying on this planet:

1. Seven Canadians died in the same week after eating spaghetti. I demand a moratorium on spaghetti...and meatballs!

2. 41 Canadians died in the same week after brushing their teeth. I demand a moratorium on toothbrushes...and teeth!

3. 38 Canadians died in the same week after kissing their wives goodbye. I demand a moratorium on kissing...and wives!

If we dig into the statistics we'll find some other killers, I'm sure, but this will make a good start.

AI does fill one very valuable function, though: They make every really stupid person on earth look like a genius. Stupid people should thank them for that.
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-21-2007, 04:06 AM.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

3. 38 Canadians died in the same week after kissing their wives goodbye. I demand a moratorium on kissing...and wives!
        This is one I would like to see. One morning I kissed mine good bye an headed for work. When I got home there was a Dear AKA Chucky letter. "I'm taking
        the kids back to Kansas have a nice life. I blame it on the kiss.
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

You will never, ever take my meatballs away. ever.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

So two fatalities in a week or two where Tasers were involved. Yes It's too bad that these incidents resulted in fatalities but as opposed to like Davis said "beat him senseless with a metal baton". How's the public going to react then? how's about deploying OC in a crowded airport... Um I don't think so either...

The end result is that the public was kept safe as a result of the officers actions, it could have been much worse.

I'd like to here what the coroner's findings are first before I hear Amnesty's 'comments from the peanut gallery', thank you. It seems the whole world is violating somekind of something whenever they comment on whatever.
            I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
              Are you starting a new organization, the N.M.A. ?

Comment

I guess it is new technology being used and people are not educated enough. The do-gooders will just say "hey do not hurt that person, but rather let them run free" until they injure or hurt a family member of the do gooder who will now say "you should have stopped them".

As most of us know, you handcuff someone or use a baton or need to physically subdue them, you have a duty of care to check and maintain the welfare of that person until you are relieved of that care by say EMT or the transport of that individual by another unit or the police.

We don't know the full medical history of the deceased and we don't know what also was in the body at the time and whether the hospital had any liability for the death.
                "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                  From his cold, dead fork...

Comment

I'm sure excited delirium was the reason why he died...... AI should look at the research on that instead of jumping to conclusions.

Cars kill people too, but you don't see a ban on them.....
                    "If you are not fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm."
                    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

"We think the weapon is used too often against people who are not armed and don't pose a threat," - Beatrice Veaugrante

Easily said by people who've never had to deal with dangerous aggressive drunk or chemically intoxicated individuals, obviously he did pose a threat as he was driving a motor vehicle whilst drunk

* Police have said the man was intoxicated when they stopped him for a traffic violation last Sunday and that he became aggressive when he was questioned.

Removing the 'tazer' from the options available would give the officers what choice? shoot, spray or club suspects into submission? while the introduction of this technology has seen a dramatic reduction in the use of batons (either for ease of use or appearances), the fact remains this guy put himself into 'that' situation when he...

1) started drinking to excess
                      2) decided to drive home
                      3) became belligerent towards the officers after being pulled over

Laying the blame for his death at the feet of the attending police is both unfair and naive, however this is to be expected as his surviving family struggle coming to terms with his early demise, looking for an explanation and ultimately to lay fault somewhere (all natural components of the grieving process)
                      Last edited by Maelstrom; 10-22-2007, 08:20 AM.
                      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                        Removing the 'tazer' from the options available would give the officers what choice? shoot, spray or club suspects into submission?
                        Remove spraying as well, as AI thinks that OC=torture.

Laying the blame for his death at the feet of the attending police is both unfair and naive, however this is to be expected as his surviving family struggle coming to terms with his early demise, looking for an explanation and ultimately to lay fault somewhere (all natural components of the grieving process)
                        10 will get you 1 that they're not looking for an explanation or to lay fault as part of the grief process, but as part of their 'fatten our bank accounts' process.

Comment

Originally posted by OccamsRazor View Post
                          Remove spraying as well, as AI thinks that OC=torture.
                          Well perhaps Amnesty International should look into filing Income Tax returns then also... I lose more hair every year!

Originally posted by OccamsRazor View Post
                          10 will get you 1 that they're not looking for an explanation or to lay fault as part of the grief process, but as part of their 'fatten our bank accounts' process.
                          Sadly, that is a very real and common outcome...
                          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I think it is such as big story in Montreal because there are so few of the devices. The city is divided into 4 sections. Each section has an "Intervention Unit". Only 1 team from each Intervention Unit are presently armed with a Taser.

On the news today the government said it was setting up a committee (governments like to do that ) to set rules of when, where & how the Taser should be used. They will NOT stop it's use during the study.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                              On the news today the government said it was setting up a committee (governments like to do that ) to set rules of when, where & how the Taser should be used. They will NOT stop it's use during the study.
                              Regardless, the benefits far outweigh the risks. I certainly hope they place some 'police friendly' reality in touch personnel on this committee.
                              I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X