3 Best Pieces of Kit (Gear)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Best Pieces of Kit (Gear)

Ok we have talked about the best torch, best boots, best socks and probably best undies before I joined up. I am curious as to what other people consider to be their 3 best acquisitions of kit whether it be new, old, borrowed, heirloom or even acquired as a gift. Ok my best 3 things are:

1. Supertool Leatherman which I purchased on my last day after being retrenched from the government in 1995 and we have become best mates every since but never replaced for a newer or better model.

2. Swiss Army Knife (big bugger) which was given to me by a client when I finished my contract with him. It now travels in my gear bag as it is far too heavy to carry in a pocket and is always ready to use.

3. Outdoor 4 Season Coat which I found on sale in Sydney by accident in a luggage store in LA. These are long coats to the knees but can have a zip in 2 season liner, an extra bottom to make an ankle length, a sleeping bag attachment (never used it but used by PI's doing surveillance in cold cars), pockets like an M-65 with epaulettes and press stud patch holders, hidden badge mounting pocket and best of all is water proof.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Hmmmm... other than my Maglite(s), various other lighting devices, 21" ASP & DM's, I'd be quite lost without...

* Hatch BG800s (pathogen resistive & really nice and warm with breathable liner especially on those really COLD nights)

* The quite infamous 'black beanie' not a fashion standard by any measure, but once again a must have item on those really COLD nights

* My generic multi-tool device, which I picked up as a clearance item whilst on holidays up country... it just keeps coming in handy!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

1 more

Oh can I add my Frisk master 4000's as a bloody good pair of gloves I always have with me and back in unform always carried them with me ? I lost 1 once and in the middle of winter did a Michael Jackson with 1 glove (I needed do alot of writing so found it better with only 1 on) until a cop asked me if I knew who lost a glove and I showed him the mate to it). I was happy again and I think I am on my 3rd pair now after all these years).

Comment

My 3 "Tools"

- Ballistics clipboard for use when approaching suspicious vehicles/people

- 1,000,000 candlepower portable spotlight for those dark areas around the perimeter

- Scanner for monitoring police/fire/ambulance activity near the site
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
          Ballistics clipboard for use when approaching suspicious vehicles/people
          Before you mentioned it... I'd never heard of a 'ballistics clipboard' before, kinda' a neat idea!

1,000,000 candlepower portable spotlight for those dark areas around the perimeter
          1MCP spotlight? time to upgrade perhaps, you can get 20MCP units now!
          Attached Files
          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Leatherman Blast - I know carry it everywhere

Damascus Halo gloves - Slashproof and nice and warm

Maglight - Good for intimidating, lighting things up and in case i forgot the ASP baton

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
              Before you mentioned it... I'd never heard of a 'ballistics clipboard' before, kinda' a neat idea!

There are numerous links to ballistic clipboards....here's just one:
              http://glockstore.com/index/232/
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I guess we must be 10 years behind or are alot safer than the USA but I had never heard of the ballistic clipboards before until now. I am aware of the panels and brief cases that can be used and quickly switched into front and back ballistics cover (like wearing a vest) but were over $1k US last time I looked online.

Comment

Thanks

I know - it's the old problem of being obsolete before you get it out of the box. Still, 1 million CP will easily impress upon someone that you mean business. The spotlights on many police cars are only 300,000 - 500,000 cp.

Comment

The spotlights on many police cars are only 300,000 - 500,000 cp.
                    Really? I would've thought they'd be at least in the vicinity of 50w (or there abouts)

Comment

Really? I would've thought they'd be at least in the vicinity of 50w (or there abouts)
                      I'm not sure I follow your drift...

Comment

If you're referring to duty gear, I'd have to say that my three most valuable pieces are my handgun, cell phone, and bulletproof vest. Even in the absence of the rest of my duty gear, I honestly don't see being able to do my job without these three pieces of gear.

Comment

I'm not sure I follow your drift...
                          Ah sorry about that, I momentarily forgot your region of the globe measures light output in Candela, CandlePower OR Lumen, here globe wattage is primarily referred to instead

I was making the comparisson to the 50 watts output from a base model H3 Halogen globe (roughly equivalent to a cars' low beam), FWIW output ratings are generally 50w, 100w & 130w @ 12v (lower ratings available in downlight styles & componentry)
                          Last edited by Maelstrom; 10-23-2007, 04:47 AM.

Comment

My 3 happens to be 4.

Sorry, but my minimum "got to have items" total 4, and they are:

1) weapon with plenty of ammo (what's plenty mean 30 or more rounds);

2) bulletproof vest (I know they like to call it bullet resistant, but I'm counting on it to be bulletproof);

3) good radio and phone (I count these as one, just like gun & bullets); and,

4) freshly charged, powerful portable flashlight, with a smaller, but still powerful back-up light, like a scorpion.

Everything else, to me anyway, is a nice to have. (Of course the above list is based on worst case situation in which life threatening event might arise.)

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                              Sorry, but my minimum "got to have items" total 4, and they are:

1) weapon with plenty of ammo (what's plenty mean 30 or more rounds);

2) bulletproof vest (I know they like to call it bullet resistant, but I'm counting on it to be bulletproof);

3) good radio and phone (I count these as one, just like gun & bullets); and,

4) freshly charged, powerful portable flashlight, with a smaller, but still powerful back-up light, like a scorpion.

Everything else, to me anyway, is a nice to have. (Of course the above list is based on worst case situation in which life threatening event might arise.)
                              Funny, I counted 7 items on your list 1. Duty weapon; 2. Extra ammo; 3. bulletproof vest; 4. radio; 5. phone; 6. flashlight; 7. backup flashlight

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X