Equipment Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment Questions

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I work Loss Prevention for a hotel (in-house security) I was wondering where I could find the following equipment. Note: I have tried google, but came up unsuccessful.

1. "Public Safety" embroidered fitted baseball caps (navy blue)...I don't want to place an order for 400 or so, I really only need 5.

2. A duty bag for bike patrol. Many of the bags I see that are supposed to fit on the back of a bike are very large and expensive. I just need a small black bag to fit on the rack on my Cannondale.

3. Cheap Olympic Colorblock bike patrol shirts. I'm specifically looking for a white top/new york blue bottom (the darkest blue I think) with "Public Safety" inscribed on the back. Does anybody know any 3rd party vendors who may have these for cheap?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by PlatinumMike; 10-04-2007, 06:36 PM.

Originally posted by PlatinumMike View Post
    Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I work Loss Prevention for a hotel (in-house security) I was wondering where I could find the following equipment. Note: I have tried google, but came up unsuccessful.

1. "Public Safety" embroidered fitted baseball caps (navy blue)...I don't want to place an order for 400 or so, I really only need 5.

2. A duty bag for bike patrol. Many of the bags I see that are supposed to fit on the back of a bike are very large and expensive. I just need a small black bag to fit on the rack on my Cannondale.

3. Cheap Olympic Colorblock bike patrol shirts. I'm specifically looking for a white top/new york blue bottom (the darkest blue I think) with "Public Safety" inscribed on the back. Does anybody know any 3rd party vendors who may have these for cheap?

Thanks guys!
    Hmmm, well, "Public Safety" could encompass more than a few different type departments; I looked as well for Public Safety specific clothing and came up with bupkis... Another option would be to draw out a copy ready drawing of the lettering as you'd like it to appear, and take it to a embroidery shop that can scan your drawing into a computer; You should be able to find plain ball caps to your liking anywhere, take 'em to the embroidery shop and once the comp has the image, you can probably have them all done, including the set up fee (which should be fairly inexpensive), and your good to go...

No idea about the bike bags...

The shirts may possibly be just as easy, depending; I checked out the color block shirts, but like I said, no luck in the PS specific lettering... Do you have a trade/technical school nearby with a printing department? You may be able to purchase shirts with nothing on them, and have the school's printing class silk screen them for you (after a few practice runs on scrap material, that is)...
    “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
    "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Originally posted by PlatinumMike View Post

Thanks guys!
      Well, it would help if you would enlighten us on what you consider "cheap". What I, or anyone else would consider cheap are all different.

Now, to answer your questions...

I've yet to see anyone make "public safety" specific clothing. I would think, in the next coming years we'll start to see some being made. However, as Mountain pointed out, you can obtain fitted ball caps from Gall's for like $9 I think. However, you'll just have to call around to various uniform shops and get quotes on what you're looking for. Chief Supply www.chiefsupply.com has pretty nice embroidery that can be custom made to your specs.
      "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I would look at some disposal stores and perhaps you may need to get the hats embroidered or find a patch to have sewn on. On one of my trips to the USA I found the best exmilitary medic packs ever made (tri-folds about 14" x 11") and were only $15 US each. I bought 18 of them (a bargain) and 1 of my crew rigged one up for his bike if we ever did special event work and he could ride his mountain bike through the crowds and have a full 1st aid pack ready.

Perhaps a bike or outdoor shop may help but it depends on how much you wish to carry too.
        "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Sorry, no answers to your questions. We wear suit & ties in my 3 hotels & it would be hard to do bicycle patrol in the winter here . But, welcome to the forum, there are not many of us hotel types here!
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

thx all

thanks everyone for your responses thus far, I will continue my venture into outfitting our BP team. I'll definitely get the blank fitted caps and have em embroidered here in ATL. Good suggestion.

Comment

I guess I am of the thought that ball caps look unprofessional on an officer although I guess bike patrol can be an exception. I would check into Galls or Quartermaster. They generally seem to have some reasonable prices. Remember the old adage though, you get what you pay for.
              Last edited by CorpSec; 10-06-2007, 02:07 AM.

Comment

I just realized something. Are these baseball caps for the bike officers? The only thing they should be wearing are their bike helmets. This should be mandated, and those riding without one counseled. Your worker's compensation insurance carrier will probably throw extreme fits if they find that you did not require helmets on a bike during course of duties.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                  I just realized something. Are these baseball caps for the bike officers? The only thing they should be wearing are their bike helmets. This should be mandated, and those riding without one counseled. Your worker's compensation insurance carrier will probably throw extreme fits if they find that you did not require helmets on a bike during course of duties.
                  I didn't think that one through on my end. Obviously they need helmets when on their bikes. In other situations, I do find ball caps to be unprofessional looking.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                    I guess I am of the thought that ball caps look unprofessional on an officer although I guess bike patrol can be an exception. I would check into Galls or Quartermaster. They generally seem to have some reasonable prices. Remember the old adage though, you get what you pay for.
                    I think ball caps look pretty good, however, I like the caps that have either the badge or the shoulder patch on the front of the cap. Looks goood IMHO.
                    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

our bike patrol officers do have helmets. Black ones for the officers and a white one for the supervisor. The reason I inquire about baseball caps is for when our officers are not on the bikes. Walking around with helmet hair can be quite sloppy looking. Also, many of our bike patrol guys do "standbys" at the corners of the hotel property to monitor people entering and leaving property. Those BP officers that are posted should have a cap to shield them from the sun.

All of our BP officers went to training via a local police department. So we are all covered there. Good point though.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                        I do find ball caps to be unprofessional looking.

I'm not a big fan of baseball caps generally & prefer a close 'crew cut' instead, however when working in the direct sunlight a hat is necessary & I find our uniform BB caps (with company logo) okay to wear

If the cap is laundered regularly along with coat & the remainder of the uniform, they're quite clean, respectable & smart in appearance
                        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X