audio recording/body mics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• audio recording/body mics?

I'm looking for a inexpensive solution to always-on audio recording. I'm running into a lot of situations where I have to interact with more and more people on site (I patrol section 8 housing), and due to the attitudes of the people around here, I'm thinking it's a good idea to maintain an audio record of interactions I have with people, as it's fairly easy for a family of 5 to twist a story around.

Right now I'm thinking the cheapest way of doing this is to have a digital audio recorder in a pouch on my duty belt or BDU pants pocket connected to an appropriate mic on my epaulette. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject, especially if you have experience or knowledge on this.

I would not have one running all the time. There are situations (bathrooms) that one does not need entered into a legal record (someone will subpoena that thing.)

Verify its legal to have an audio recording device running without gaining consent. Verify its legal to have an audio recording device running in a tenant's unit.

Basically, this thing could get you arrested on felony charges.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I'd say you're close to a good setup, although I'm not sure you really want "always-on"? I mean, unless you never pee or do "the other thing" during a shift, there's probably some "noises" you make, and some conversations with colleagues, cell phone, etc., that you wouldn't want recorded. And, your colleagues might not exactly appreciate thinking everything they say in your vicinity will be recorded, either. I believe there are setups where a switch on the mike will turn recording on and off, and that's probably what I'd look for.

Plus, it's no fun trying to find that conversation on a recording that consists of you chomping on a sandwich, driving or walking around for ?? minutes at a time, etc.

There's a lot of "wearable" audio and video recording equipment at PIMall.com but if you find something there check for better prices elsewhere.

Another issue is that you'll need a way to offload the audio and archive it at the end of each shift. For voice, you can use a fairly low bit-rate recording speed and compression; otherwise the voice files can eat up a lot of hard drive space in a hurry.

You'll want to start each shift with a brief statement of the date and time, and periodically record "time checks" as well, especially if you don't run "always-on".

And, of course, you probably can't do this at all if you're in a "two-party consent" state. Some legal advice might not hurt in any case.
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-19-2007, 02:41 PM.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I have a digi corder that bought from Walmart. Put it in the duty shirt pocket and call it a day.
        "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I want to buy a digital audio recorder (Olympus VN-960PC) but I dont know which of these mics to get? Can anyone help?

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...?id=1178&ct=76

I work in a busy mall. I do know the recorder will fit loosely in a single mag pouch for a Glock and snug in a single mag pouch for a Sig Sauer. I have no room for any more crap in my pockets and would rather carry it on my belt and clip the mic on my shirt.
          "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

I use a sony digital voice recorder, I just put it in my shirt pocket. It only weighs a few ounces.
            ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

well...

Jsut thro wit in your shirt pocket and forget about the mic altogether. Shouldn't really need it. Mine works fine sans mic...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X