Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new gun....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • new gun....

    hey all im thinking of maybe purchasing a new side arm, other then my glock, i like my glock but would like to purchase another so i can interchange my wep occasionally when going to the range, i am considering 3 others , i like striker systems over hammers, so at this time im considering

    S&W sigma, 40. cal
    Walther p99 40.cal
    Sprigfeild xd 40. cal

    i currently have a 9mm glock 17...

    So which of these would you suggest over the others... i know i should practice first but am wondering of your opinions...
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

  • #2
    Call me old, decrepit and throw me on the trash heap. I like to have at least one wheel gun and still actually prefer them over any semi's for simple operation, reliability as close to 100% as you can get, and ease of maintenance. I know the semi's carry more ammo, but at typical personal combat distances, I'll nail you with at least 5 out of 6 shots any day of the week unless you get the drop on me, and even if you do that I definitely have a better chance with a wheel gun.

    Now, some argue that the pistol is more concealable, but I don't really think so. And, if you maintain the professional beer belly that all of us should constantly be striving to achieve, the difference will be unnoticeable anyway.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-14-2007, 03:13 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

    "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

    "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

    "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
      S&W sigma, 40. cal
      Walther p99 40.cal
      Sprigfeild xd 40. cal
      NOTE: This is all personal opinion/experience, and should not be taken as factual.

      I tried all 3 of those when I was shopping for a duty pistol a few years back. Personally, I'm not a fan of Glocks. I didn't like the way they felt in my hand at all. So those were instantly off my list. It's strange to me to see someone who actually LIKES a Glock considering the same weapons I came down to in my final decision-making process.. LOL The Springfield is a nice gun, but still felt a little too "Glockish" (is that a word? LOL) to me, so I passed on it.

      I finally came down to the Sigma, and the P99. Both are MUCH more ergonomic, and easy to handle. In the end, I found the P99 to be more to my liking and made my choice. I've been nothing but happy with my P99 ever since. Extremely easy to use, accurate, and hasn't given me ANY problems in the years I've owned it. (My wife got it to smokestack ONCE, the first time she shot it. I have YET to get it to jam at all... I've owned it since 2002 and put PLENTY of rounds through it)

      On a side note: I highly recommend you find a range that will let you rent these before you make a final choice. I've heard from other Walther owners that the 40 tends to have a stronger kick than my 9mm, so if you're intent on a 40 that may influence your decision a bit. Also, a lot of duty gear companies don't list holsters for the P99. Don't let them fool you, the holsters ARE out there. The size/shape is very similar to a HK USP, so they share many of the same holsters. I have the Uncle Mike's PRO-3 holster for mine. (Size 30 for the curious)

      Hope this all helps!
      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
      Originally posted by ValleyOne
      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
      Shoulda called in sick.
      Be safe!

      Comment


      • #4
        I have the P99 in .40 and love it. If I may make a suggestion take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P available in .40. I recently put a deposit on one and plan on getting it off real soon! Can't wait!
        SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

        Comment


        • #5
          I haven't fired one yet, but the M&P .40 felt good in my hand with the large backstrap. I was at Streichers and the S&W rep showed me the entire M&P line, I liked what Stag Arms did for S&W, and I liked the way the M&P felt with the proper grips.

          I also thought the Walther P22 was cool as hell, even if it was a 22 LR.

          I went over to the Beretta tent, and I didn't like the way the new Beretta series felt. I think I'll go with M&P or XD when its time to buy one.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
            Call me old, decrepit and throw me on the trash heap. I like to have at least one wheel gun and still actually prefer them over any semi's for simple operation, reliability as close to 100% as you can get, and ease of maintenance. I know the semi's carry more ammo, but at typical personal combat distances, I'll nail you with at least 5 out of 6 shots any day of the week unless you get the drop on me, and even if you do that I definitely have a better chance with a wheel gun.

            Now, some argue that the pistol is more concealable, but I don't really think so. And, if you maintain the professional beer belly that all of us should constantly be striving to achieve, the difference will be unnoticeable anyway.
            I think your perfectly normal. I like my S&W 10, S&W 64. But I also like my S&W 39 at times.

            If for some reason me and the wheel gun fall into the swamp I know I will come up shooting. Not so sure with the auto.

            Now to find a 12 gauge wheel gun.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mh892 View Post
              I think your perfectly normal. I like my S&W 10, S&W 64. But I also like my S&W 39 at times.

              If for some reason me and the wheel gun fall into the swamp I know I will come up shooting. Not so sure with the auto.

              Now to find a 12 gauge wheel gun.
              Hey, not sure where you live (I know you said you worked off 87), but I am trying to get some people together to go up to the range near Pace. I'm not a big fan of it, but it's the closest one to us Pcola people. PM me sometime.
              SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

              Comment


              • #8
                I've heard nothing but good things about the new M&P series from S&W... A LOT of PDs are switching to them... Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to hold/try one myself yet, but they sure are pretty!

                My wife's looking for a new weapon as well right now... I'm trying to convince her to try out an M&P compact (she has tiny hands) when she goes to try some out... That way, I can play with it too.. LOL
                Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                Originally posted by ValleyOne
                BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                Shoulda called in sick.
                Be safe!

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Taurus 24/7 pro is the gun I would prefer if I had a choice but it is illegal in my state because it does not pass the round chambered drop test. Apparently it will fire if dropped from a 10 foot height on a cement floor. That aside watch the video and at the end the firing range is very impressive. The guy emptied a full clip and hit all targets in 1.4 seconds after the gun was used steady for 10.000 rounds then he set a new world record with the same pistol. The last time I checked it was under $500.00.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDo0ua2IMp8
                  Last edited by Chucky; 09-14-2007, 11:51 PM.
                  THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                  THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                  http://www.boondocksaints.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Charger View Post
                    I've heard nothing but good things about the new M&P series from S&W... A LOT of PDs are switching to them... Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to hold/try one myself yet, but they sure are pretty!

                    My wife's looking for a new weapon as well right now... I'm trying to convince her to try out an M&P compact (she has tiny hands) when she goes to try some out... That way, I can play with it too.. LOL
                    If your wife has "kleinhanz" look at the SigSauer .380, compact and easy to handle and shoot. At least let her get the feel of one.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Firearms that are too straight and angular in shape like the XD 9 and Glock are simply just not attractive in my opinion. There has to be some curves to it! Beyond feeling good in my hand, it has to look good too! I just love my SigSauer 2009. It is not as "boxey" looking I guess........

                      Be safe,

                      Hank
                      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                        If your wife has "kleinhanz" look at the SigSauer .380, compact and easy to handle and shoot. At least let her get the feel of one.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill
                        That's their P232. Very nice gun, 17 oz with magazine (22 oz stainless, but I don't care for stainless anyway).
                        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                        "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                        "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                        "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Charger View Post
                          In the end, I found the P99 to be more to my liking and made my choice. I've been nothing but happy with my P99 ever since. Extremely easy to use, accurate, and hasn't given me ANY problems in the years I've owned it.
                          I almost purchased the Walther, but the Beretta felt more comfortable and balanced. One area of concern I had with the Walther is the magazine release. I prefer the button type and the W I saw had a lever type contraption. Does this magazine release lever give you any troubles with gloves on? or wet? Or heck anytime? Is it ackward to re learn to slide down as opposed to push in?
                          ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                          Corbier's Commandos

                          Nemo me impune lacessit

                          Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            New Firearm

                            Why not try the Beretta px4 strom has 3 back straps like the m&p but the strom doesn't have mag safty like the m&p . then there is Beretta 90 two not 92 . It has same grip and slide as the 92 but the frame is setup to take a tac lights, laser or combo.
                            CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594


                            oh ya

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Now to find a 12 gauge wheel gun."

                              Will a 410 do? The Judge is chambered in 410, .45 LC. I think that it is kinda intimidating.
                              Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X