leatherman and duty belt don't mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leatherman and duty belt don't mix

hi all long time reader first time poster.

I have a problem I have just got a new job doing resort security in the center of Australia from airport security. So I have had to buy some new gear for it.

I have bought a uncle mikes nylon duty belt the only problem is that it has a large plastic bucle on it which means that I can't but the standed leatherman pouch on it.

What does everyone else do in this situation? Would a standed mag holder hold the leatherman?

For your information the Leatherman is the charge TTi and the duty belt is 2" thick.

Thanks for your help.

Duncan

Duncan,

Welcome! I Have a Generic leatherman on my duty belt I use a double stack, single mag holder, well I mean the holder will hold one mag from my glock 22. (40 cal.) if I remember corectly it is a uncle mikes.

Comment

Please be careful

Please remember it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon within Australia.
      This can include some multi purpose tools (they have blades)
      I got stopped by police for having a tool holder attached to my belt, and it was empty!
      Maybe a quick phone call to your local police station will sort that out?

My employer does not let us carry any items of our own. (they won't take responsibility for them if something happens)

How does the resort feel about you carrying this?

Do they have a policy/ procedure on what you can carry?

Hate to see a fellow Aussie get into trouble!
      We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

hmm...

You cannot remove the buckle from the duty belt? Never heard of one where you couldn't. None of my pouches, etc clip on, they are all looped, so the buckles on my duty belt come off...Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
          You cannot remove the buckle from the duty belt? Never heard of one where you couldn't. None of my pouches, etc clip on, they are all looped, so the buckles on my duty belt come off...Check it out.
          +1 to what dougo83 said. I used to have one of those generic UM belts... You should be able to undo the velcro and remove the buckles, so you can put all of your gear on the belt.
          Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
          Originally posted by ValleyOne
          BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
          Shoulda called in sick.
          Be safe!

Comment

e:fb

Remove the velcro folded on the side of the buckle, slide the buckle off, add your gear, replace the buckle, refold the velcro'ed belt edge.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
              +1 to what dougo83 said. I used to have one of those generic UM belts... You should be able to undo the velcro and remove the buckles, so you can put all of your gear on the belt.
              +2...as I use that duty belt currently.
              "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I removed the buckle and tryed to put the holder on but the belt is too big. So I have bought a UM single mag holder fits is nicely.

The resort recomends that we have them. Also the police don't give us a hard time as they clasify it as a tool of the trade. Only have it on the belt when doing patrols. Can't have it on us any other time.

Thanks Again

Duncan

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                  e:fb

Remove the velcro folded on the side of the buckle, slide the buckle off, add your gear, replace the buckle, refold the velcro'ed belt edge.
                  I agree... I've got a generic nylon/velcro duty belt and other than adjusting for my waist, removing the buckle is also how I add new pouches (and re-arrange accordingly), luckily (for me) my multi-tool pouch fitted the belt

Stand alone magazine pouches are great for anything from cell phones to small tactical torches!!
                  "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

CRIKEY! Why not get one of those GIANT Crockodile Dundee bowies and wear it right out in the open? or does a sheathed knife constitute a concealed weapon?
                    sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

Comment

Originally posted by crankloud View Post
                      Please remember it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon within Australia.
                      This can include some multi purpose tools (they have blades)
                      I got stopped by police for having a tool holder attached to my belt, and it was empty!
                      Maybe a quick phone call to your local police station will sort that out?

My employer does not let us carry any items of our own. (they won't take responsibility for them if something happens)

How does the resort feel about you carrying this?

Do they have a policy/ procedure on what you can carry?

Hate to see a fellow Aussie get into trouble!

Am I reading correctly??? You were stopped, in Lismore by Lismore Police for carrying a tool holder on your belt in uniform whilst working security (sounds like ronald mcdonald's (there's only one red-headed clown at Lismore Police Station) been out in the beat)?????

If that's the case, the Officer (like 95% of Lismore Police) needs a kick fair up the backside and told to do something constructive for the community ie patrol Goonellabah!

Also, your employer is in no position to stop you from wearing personal protective equipment ie batons, handcuffs and Leatherman, as long as you have satisfied the NSW Commissioner of Police that you have completed and passed a NSW Commissioner of Police course in baton and handcuffs. If your employer refuses you permission to wear batons and handcuffs and you are injured as a result of not having these items to use to protect yourself YOU can sue him for lack of duty of care, not to mention WorkCover NSW can/will take action against him/her too. Your employer can't say "they won't take responsibility for it if something goes wrong". They have an obligation to your safety in the workplace.

Whilst NSW laws due prohibit the unlawful posession of knives in a public place (needing to peel an orange isn't a lawful excuse) as a Security Officer you can carry a Leatherman etc as they are sold as "multi tools".

Snr Constable Mick Hogan is the best guy to speak to at the Lismore station. He is an older school copper and by the book and calls a spade a spade.

In answer to the original question, I carry (even working in Lismore) a Leatherman Wave, in a Bianchi Accumold single mag pouch (size1 I think it is).
                      A well trained dog is worth 10 men!

I can recall my dog, but I can never recall a fired bullet!

Would you prefer me to use the dog, the Glock, the baton or the O.C. spray? It's your health insurance so you decide. Alternatively there is always the handcuffs, followed by the Police with the court house preceeding rapidly after. Now which service would you like me to utilise

Comment

Let me get this straight. A company owner cannot instruct his employees not to carry dangerous weapons? The state has taken control of their employees away, then.

In the US, in just about every state, a company may say, "I don't care if you're certified with everything in the book and hold an armed guard's license. You cannot carry anything, including a long metal flashlight, as we don't allow weapons or confrontation."

And when the guard is injured, the company is Scott-free because the guard was "obviously" confrontational.

The idea of being able to wear weapons against company policy is so very, very, odd to me.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

wait...

So...carrying anything in its sheath/holster/case is considered concealed in Austrailia? That seems incredibly ridiculous. Also, no knives in a public place? Thank God I'm from TEXAS...

Comment

Most commonwealth nations have mirrored the UK Offensive Weapons Act, which prohibits offensive weapons (offensive, in this case, seems to mean offending the Crown) in public.

Comment

dang

Most commonwealth nations have mirrored the UK Offensive Weapons Act, which prohibits offensive weapons (offensive, in this case, seems to mean offending the Crown) in public.
                              I almost though Austrailia would be a good place to live. Not with those weapons policies...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X