for hospital guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for hospital guards

What type of equipment do you guy have on youself when you are working and do you use anytype of tranportion. i am on commity that is looking at and reviewing what type of stuff we can use. right know all we have is a radio, set of keys and pager. thanks

When I was employed in a hospital here in Australia, we had 2 different types of hospital guards. The first being the Patient Minding Guard which was a guard that was to observe and report on a patient detained under the mental health act. If the patient they were watching ran (absconded) they called for the Restraint team which I was apart of. With the restraint team it was our job to restrain patients against their will under the order of a Doctor using soft restraints or hard restraints. These being Leather restraints or a special sheet on the bed.

As part of the restraint team (of which there were six in the main team and two stationed in the emergency (trauma) department) One out of 2 guards carried handcuffs. The rest of the team had radios, swipe cards and keys, glove pouch and goggle case. Optional but at personal expense was a torch (we had a few rechargeable maglites in our security office) I personally carried a Surefire 6p or anything with legal reason you wanted to carry (so no firearms, spray or batons as state laws prohibit their use.)

Hope this helps.
    Fight what is Wrong, Believe what is True, Do what is Right

Comment

I supervise the guards at three small hospitals. At one hospital, the guards can't carry any weapons or even metal flashlights.
      At the other two, they carry a flashlight, cuffs, and an ASP baton. Both of those facilities prohibit the use of chemical sprays.
      "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

I carry baton, spray and cuffs at my full time hospital job, and my part time job just spray. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

We carry ASP batons, hand cuffs, radios, and .38 revolvers. Our bike patrol carrys Pepper Spray also. As for transport, we have 2 mobile drivers and a shuttle on my shift (3rd 2300-0700). The mobile drivers drive 2006 Chevy Impalas that are striped. The Shuttle can drive either a striped mini-van or a striped 15 passenger van.
          "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
          some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

Comment

First of all welcome to the forum, it’s good to see another hospital Officer from SW Wisconsin on here. Hopefully the forum will provide you with a good deal of useful information.

I work in a Hospital that is very similar in size to your own that serves a community with much the same demographic as yours. While on duty we are required to carry a Motorola radio with optional earpiece and lapel mic, one pair of Smith and Wesson handcuffs, a flashlight, keys (facility, vehicle, and handcuff), Galls MK-3 OC (stream dispersal), and a minimum of one set of non-latex protective gloves; all of these items are issued by the department with the exception of the flashlight, which the Officer must provide. Most Officers also purchase and carry a second set of cuffs, a CPR face shield, a second flashlight, slash resistant gloves, and a ballistic/stab resistant vest.

As for vehicles we have two Ford Escapes that are fully marked and equipped with amber light bars, as well as an unmarked Suzuki SX-4 that is used by command staff and for transportation to offsite training and events.

I would be interested to know what type of additional equipment your committee is hoping to propose and from whom you expect to encounter the most resistance. I may be able to give you a few pointers on ways to counter their objections while emphasizing patient care.
            Drew Neckar
            Hospital Security Supervisor
            ---------------------------------------------------

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
            --Oscar Wilde—

Comment

I see that you haven't got too many responses, so you may want to try the links below. They are both groups dedicated specifically to hospital security and you may be able to reach a more select audience with your question.

finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/hospitalsecurity/
              http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/grou...ners_Security/
              Drew Neckar
              Hospital Security Supervisor
              ---------------------------------------------------

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
              --Oscar Wilde—

Comment

I work full-time at a hospital and with gear includes: Handcuffs, Glock 19, double magazine pouch, flashlight, radio(of course). key clip(for the plethora of doors to unlock). occasionally i'll strap on my ASP expandable baton. I'm trying to get the X26 taser authorized for the hospital. I have been shot by this thing and it works amazingly.

Comment

We just got approved for our tasers here at the hospital.
                  K9...."Protect all who enter"

Comment

At my hospital we carry firearms, baton, OC ( Exterior use only), Cuffs, Radio, Flashlights and tasers. Firearms are mandatory if trained everything else is optional. I carry all plus a glove pouch. We are authorized to wear an outer tact. vest if we want to take some gear off the belt. Also the local PD's wear tehm too do to climate. See my post in the general forum on hospital security for more.
                    Robert
                    Here endith the lesson

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X