What is a good Gun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good Gun.

I have never use a gun in my life and if I'm to have work and have to buy it myself what would you say be a good one for a first timer .

I have book here I'm looking at and they are Sig Sauer models 226, 239, 220, 229, sp2340,

Also i left hand so do guns come left and right handed or not.
    ]

Originally posted by Steve354 View Post
    I have never use a gun in my life and if I'm to have work and have to buy it myself what would you say be a good one for a first timer .

I have book here I'm looking at and they are Sig Sauer models 226, 239, 220, 229, sp2340,

Also i left hand so do guns come left and right handed or not.
    For most handguns, being left handed will not matter except during reloads.

Sigs are nice guns, expensive though (relatively.)

If you can, rent weapons at a gun range. This will let you see how well you shoot, etc. I don't know about down there, but in the US: Your security licensing course for the gun will NOT teach you how to shoot, only test your ability to hit a target.

It is up to you to develop marksmanship on your own before taking the test.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Here you don't need a gun unless you are doing cash transt jobs. i thank you for your advice and will look into sometraining before hand.
      ]

Comment

Just Buy a Glock

Buy a Glock. As a factory Armorer for Glock I can tell you it is the most reliable hand gun out there. On yearly inspections I very rarely find anything to replace.

Most of the time I do my Armorer cleaning and that’s it. They have less moving parts than any other hand gun I can think of. In addition there are more models and sizes to fit anyone's hand.

All I know is they go "bang" when you need them to...

Comment

Having taught numerous people how to shoot a handgun, my best advice is;

1) The best weapon is the one that feels comfortable to you, what feels the best in your hand and has the best natural point of aim for you. Renting a weapon at a range and shooting it will help you to decide on which weapon feels the best and shoots the best for you, regardless of name-brand. Now I would not recommend a cheap weapon, but one with an excellent reputation and moderate cost.

2) I would ask what caliber of weapon to buy and why. I would choose for an all around weapon....duty, backup, home defense or as a snake gun if you go out in the woods for hunting, hiking or camping. would be a 40 caliber. I do not like a 9mm or 38. I personally carry a 10mm for duty, hunting and for my home or my back up weapon, I chose a 40 caliber. Also a 357 Sig, type of 357 round, made for semi autos, is a good choice as well.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
          "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
          (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

Comment

Originally posted by doc368 View Post
            Buy a Glock. As a factory Armorer for Glock I can tell you it is the most reliable hand gun out there. On yearly inspections I very rarely find anything to replace.

Most of the time I do my Armorer cleaning and that’s it. They have less moving parts than any other hand gun I can think of. In addition there are more models and sizes to fit anyone's hand.

All I know is they go "bang" when you need them to...
            I own a Glock 20, however, I would suggest you shoot the Steyr M40 A1. It was designed by an Austrian Armorer that worked for Glock as a weapon designer and armorer. I was so impressed with it, I bought one for myself.
            "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
            (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

Comment

I own a glock 17 and love it, glock has three sizes, Full, mid, compact. Their guns are nice, and easy to take apart I am not an armor but my Firearms Instructor was a Glock armorer, He likes Hammer cock pistols so he carries Sig, but has stated if glock ever made a Hammer cock pistol he would carry that, but untill then he will carry a sig, he also likes having external safeties which the glock does not have, but imo i dont like external safeties because when SHTF i want to be able to draw and fire, not draw release 1 to 2 external safties then fire. so go shooting see how goes feel when you shoot, if you cant hit the broad side of a target with a particular weapon or feel unconfertable with it dont buy it. however i had predetermined that i was going to get a glock. But i did try a few others out, and i felt the full size glock had fit me better then some of the other full size weapons i had tried.
              Last edited by UtahProtectionForce; 08-01-2007, 05:03 PM.
              Its not how we die that counts.....
              Its not how we lived that counts....
              all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

I own several handguns, two .357 revolvers, a S&W and a Colt; one .22 S&W target semiautomatic and a Sig Sauer P220 .45. The revolvers are intrinsically safe when used properly. Dropping loaded revolvers will not cause an accidential discharge because of the hammer block and rebound slide. Dropping a loaded Sig Sauer will not cause an accidential discharge because of a firing pin lock. The target semiautomatic can accidentially discharge if dropped. I ensure it is never placed into battery until I am on the firing line. Never ever put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Sometimes even seasoned shooters forget this one of the "golden rules."
                Nothing can ever substitute firearms discipline which includes never pointing a firearm unless it is the intended target, proper breath control, sight alignment and trigger squeeze.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

A GOOD GUN is one that fits your hand, you can afford, are comfortable shooting, and ABSOLUTELY goes BANG EVERYTIME !!! Thats a good gun.

Comment

I currently carry a Sig Pro SP2009. But whatever gun feels good in your hand and what you are comfortable handling. And what your company rules allow you to carry...Just my thoughts!

Be safe,

Hank
                    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

The most accurate tack driver in the world will be useless if it hurts your hand and doesn't fit right.
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                        The most accurate tack driver in the world will be useless if it hurts your hand and doesn't fit right.
                        Amen Brother!
                        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I own and carry a Glock 22 .40. I love it. It shoots dead on. My best friend is a Glock armorer and swears by them. My back up is a S&W 340 PD .357 magnum.

Comment

I just sold a beautiful nickel plated S&W .357 magnum 5-1/2" perfect condition. It was just too much and too few of bullets, 6. It would blow gallon jugs filled with pebbles up and make it completely disappear. Imagine it would do that with an arm or leg joint too. But definitely a two handed firearm to aim accurately.

Planning to buy a Glock for rapid fire and precision. A lot of assault rifle finatics have those, so must be effective as well. Sounds like I'll have to do research to find the perfect fit for my big mits, and find the perfect round size for maximum power with required accuracy. I may invest in one of those red lasers gun sights for $60 - $80 (3rd from bottom of link).

http://www.amazing1.com/laser_pointers.htm

I'd rather learn if one of my 2 new Security companies supplied me with any Glock to build a base of comparison history. But I'm not going to hold my breath. The shooting range idea mentioned previously sounds like an excellent suggestion, since firing at targets is the only way you will find out.

Comment

I agree with everything that has been said. If the weapon doesn't feel comfortable to you specifically then don't invest in it. I was in the Shreveport Police Academy and their issued duty firearm is the Glock mdl. 22C .40 caliber. This firearm has a great feel to me. Of course I had to resign from the academy due to knee injury but I carry a Glock mdl. 19 9mm now because of hospital policy on caliber size. The Glock Mdl. 19 is perfect for me, It is the mid size glock, but it fits my hand perfectly. I would look into Glock. Gaston Glock designed one of the best, if NOT the best firearm on the market today. It has 33 parts including the magazine. It features a floating slide(which the only contact is has to the frame is 4 rails. Plus the Glock almost never malfunctions. when it does malfunction, it is usualy a stovepipe malfunction(where the shell doesn't eject fast enough and the slide closes on it before it has time to clear ejection port)...this is so easy to clear...just tap the bottom of the maganzine, usually this clears it, if not...then just rack the slide. the second malfunction that rarly occurs is a double-feed. This is where one round is chambered and the magazine allows another round to come up behind it. Once again it is very easy to clear. Remove the magazine, and rack the slide to the rear. DONE! Like I said before glocks rarely malfunctions but when they do, they are easy to clear. Hope this helps.
                              Last edited by WKSecurity; 08-25-2007, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X