Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of handgun do you carry?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
    The thing that will get you killed more often than cheap gear is poor training or the attitude that your weapon will always be a fail-safe and is your only line of defense. That's why we have verbal judo courses, etc.

    My comment was specifically that Hi-Point is a perfectly ok choice of sidearm. Same goes for Taurus or CZ or any other brand that some "expert" doesn't like. There are some perfectly good cheap weapons and some really crappy expensive ones. I, for one, think Glocks and Berettas are garbage. It has been my experience that I would be better armed with a handful of rocks than either one of these guns, but that's my personal observation. Does it mean all Glocks and Berettas are bad weapons? Of course not. Police agencies and military nearly worldwide probably would not use them if that was the case.

    Also, if you go to some training academies in TX, they actually roll WR into their curriculum. I dunno who you work for down here, but SWP kind of brought it in to our training. It is also offered at places like GTDistributors in Austin.
    As far as training I have had quite a bit over the years and am always willing to take more classes.

    However back to the gear.

    Weapon choice isn't of particular concern as long as it is a quality weapon being carried in a rig designed for duty carry. My "brand loyalty" is to Glock because that is the weapon I am most comfortable with. However in the end the officer should carry what he is most comfortable in using whether that be a Taurus or S&W or any other QUALITY weapon on the market.

    The Officer should also be trained in weapon retention techniques and carry his weapon in holster rated for duty carry preferably a rig with built in retention devices. Unfortunately a lot of the offerings from lesser quality manufacturers do not have companies that build good duty holsters to support their weapons.

    The fact of this matter is painfully simple in the fact that this kind of gear is the kind of gear that you should hope you would never need but would want the best available should you ever need it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
      Hi Point C9 compact is a RIDICULOUS weapon to be using as a duty weapon.
      I have a Hi Point .45 ACP that I have shot OVER 2,500 rounds through. The day I bought it i did some minute grinding on the top of the mag where it meets the slide. Since then I have NEVER had a fail to fire with the weapon.

      I can't even say that about my KIMBER.

      Don't judge a book by it's cover.
      We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
      -George Orwell

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
        ...I, for one, think Glocks and Berettas are garbage. It has been my experience that I would be better armed with a handful of rocks than either one of these guns, but that's my personal observation. Does it mean all Glocks and Berettas are bad weapons? Of course not. Police agencies and military nearly worldwide probably would not use them if that was the case...
        .

        Glocks that I own: G17, G19, G21, G26, G27, G30, & G36
        I have never had a malfunction on any of these weapons. I put 2000 rounds in one week through the G21 at weapons instructor recert course just last month.

        I'm a Glock fan, bought my first one in 1989.

        I really like the exchange of ideas and information so...

        Garbage? Why? Many problems with weapons are because of: bad magazines, improper ammunition, and a dirty weapon, and operator error, in that order. I'd really like to hear your rational behind that statement.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by VSTORM View Post
          Glocks that I own: G17, G19, G21, G26, G27, G30, & G36
          I have never had a malfunction on any of these weapons. I put 2000 rounds in one week through the G21 at weapons instructor recert course just last month.

          I'm a Glock fan, bought my first one in 1989.

          I really like the exchange of ideas and information so...

          Garbage? Why? Many problems with weapons are because of: bad magazines, improper ammunition, and a dirty weapon, and operator error, in that order. I'd really like to hear your rational behind that statement.
          What is your Opinion on 10mm? Is the advantages over .45 ACP enough to justify the added expense of ammunition?

          I carry a Glock 22 at the moment however am thinking about switching to a 20 or 21 in the near future. I personally only carry the weapon I qualified with last and since my requal is coming up next month if I wanted to switch now would be the time to do it.

          Comment


          • #20
            vstorm

            Originally posted by VSTORM View Post
            Glocks that I own: G17, G19, G21, G26, G27, G30, & G36
            I have never had a malfunction on any of these weapons. I put 2000 rounds in one week through the G21 at weapons instructor recert course just last month.

            I'm a Glock fan, bought my first one in 1989.

            I really like the exchange of ideas and information so...

            Garbage? Why? Many problems with weapons are because of: bad magazines, improper ammunition, and a dirty weapon, and operator error, in that order. I'd really like to hear your rational behind that statement.
            I have never had a Glock do anything but jam up on me. I use the factory mags and usually use Wolf Gold (I know, not the best, but I use it in every gun I can). I use the same quality in all my weapons. I have more jams out of the Glock I finally sold.

            The Beretta, on the other hand, seems to be inexplicably inaccurate. I have never had the kind of trouble getting on point that I have with that gun. I cannot see how, after a year of shooting it, it could still be something wrong with me. I shoot almost weekly.

            Like I said (and you directly quoted) my experience has been that they are junk, but I am sure that not all of them are junk.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by NickTX View Post
              What is your Opinion on 10mm? Is the advantages over .45 ACP enough to justify the added expense of ammunition?

              I carry a Glock 22 at the moment however am thinking about switching to a 20 or 21 in the near future. I personally only carry the weapon I qualified with last and since my requal is coming up next month if I wanted to switch now would be the time to do it.
              Full power 10mm auto is a beautiful cartridge. It is essentially a .41 magnum for auto loading weapons it shoots flat and packs a lot of punch. 10mm lite, on the other hand, is basically just a .40 S&W.
              In my opinion(I am no gunsmith or armorer), however, you would not see much difference in performance between 10mm and .45 ACP; unless you were engaging targets at long ranges. Within fifty (50) feet, one is probably as good as the other. But if you do need to reach out and touch someone, at the one hundred (100) feet or more range (highly unlikely), and do not have access to a rifle/carbine, you will wish you firing 10mm.
              "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                I have never had a Glock do anything but jam up on me. I use the factory mags and usually use Wolf Gold (I know, not the best, but I use it in every gun I can). I use the same quality in all my weapons. I have more jams out of the Glock I finally sold.

                The Beretta, on the other hand, seems to be inexplicably inaccurate. I have never had the kind of trouble getting on point that I have with that gun. I cannot see how, after a year of shooting it, it could still be something wrong with me. I shoot almost weekly.

                Like I said (and you directly quoted) my experience has been that they are junk, but I am sure that not all of them are junk.
                Greetings Doug, I truely hope my comments didn't come across as an "attack" it was the farthest thing in my mind, just a hungrer for more information. When I hear something that I've never heard before it gets exciting and I sometimes jump in with both feet.

                Glock does not recommend steel case ammunition. In fact they say don't shoot it as it may damage the extractor, thus a possible malfunction. I've just never heard anything bad about the reliabilty of a Glock, you would be the first. I'm sure Glock would have loved to have your weapon to see what was wrong with it.

                Beretta. I have a 92 and while I bought it for practice for the military, I too don't like it. I like the feel of the weapon, but for some reason I'm just not comfortable carrying it. Accuracy. Never had a major issue. I can consistently score 290+ (out of 300) on the armed guard qualifcation. So my less than perfect score, I'm thinking it is more about me and my comfort with the weapon and not the weapon its self.

                As for shooting. Once a year I go to firearms training where I get someone else to evaluation, train, and observe my habits. I recommend professional development. Perhaps someone may see something that you are doing that you don't catch. I know I have had that experience.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by NickTX View Post
                  What is your Opinion on 10mm? Is the advantages over .45 ACP enough to justify the added expense of ammunition?

                  I carry a Glock 22 at the moment however am thinking about switching to a 20 or 21 in the near future. I personally only carry the weapon I qualified with last and since my requal is coming up next month if I wanted to switch now would be the time to do it.

                  My opinion is that you won't practice as much as you perhaps should with a 10mm. This would be dictated by cost. If you have the $ than that goes out the window.

                  The 10mm is certainly flat shooting, but overpenetration is a concern with certain types of ammo. The real bottom line is what you are comfortable carrying, size of the weapon, recoil, and cost. For every person that carries a 9mm there is a person that perfers a .45, or the .357, or the 10mm... the list goes on.

                  Security officer carry. I carry the glock 21 for exposed duty (rare) or concealed I carry the Glock 36 with 4 magazines. I'd be better served carrying the 9mm. Main reason, weight. There are so many calibers that are just fine. Get out shoot some and see which caliber calls to you. My suggestion.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I have heard arguments for and against Wolf.

                    The extractor is going to wear anyway. Its replaceable. Yes, you'll go through the quicker. However, as long as you're not trying to do something stupid like reload Wolf steel case, it shouldn't be that big a problem.

                    Now, keep in mind, you need to clean the weapon after firing Wolf through it.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

                    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      yea...

                      I think I just got a bad draw. We certified with Glocks for Level III and they seemed to work alright. Mine was just a hassle right out of the box.

                      Originally posted by VSTORM View Post
                      Greetings Doug, I truely hope my comments didn't come across as an "attack" it was the farthest thing in my mind, just a hungrer for more information. When I hear something that I've never heard before it gets exciting and I sometimes jump in with both feet.

                      Glock does not recommend steel case ammunition. In fact they say don't shoot it as it may damage the extractor, thus a possible malfunction. I've just never heard anything bad about the reliabilty of a Glock, you would be the first. I'm sure Glock would have loved to have your weapon to see what was wrong with it.

                      Beretta. I have a 92 and while I bought it for practice for the military, I too don't like it. I like the feel of the weapon, but for some reason I'm just not comfortable carrying it. Accuracy. Never had a major issue. I can consistently score 290+ (out of 300) on the armed guard qualifcation. So my less than perfect score, I'm thinking it is more about me and my comfort with the weapon and not the weapon its self.

                      As for shooting. Once a year I go to firearms training where I get someone else to evaluation, train, and observe my habits. I recommend professional development. Perhaps someone may see something that you are doing that you don't catch. I know I have had that experience.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        have never had a Glock do anything but jam up on me. I use the factory mags and usually use Wolf Gold (I know, not the best, but I use it in every gun I can). I use the same quality in all my weapons. I have more jams out of the Glock I finally sold.
                        Now Now, You did qualify with a Glock 17

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Yep

                          And that was the reason I bought my P.O.S. Only way I'll ever be shooting a Glock again is if I am able to come back to the company. I am currently without sufficient sidearm, they all got to go home to the storage unit.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Sig Sauer P226, .40
                            "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

                            Comment


                            • #29


                              Duty weapon's a glock .22 on the bottom, and only used at work by contractual necessity. If I had a choice, I'd carry my Tactical for work.

                              Off duty, typically the tactical. Night sights, fits my IWB holster sans taclight, fits my hip holster with taclight.
                              Expert's nice, but I prefer to use the Tactical with LEM so that I don't throw myself off too much from on to off duty

                              before someone tries to dogpile: That compact hasn't seen much use lately, it's cleared, and the trigger/slide lock's engaged. Safety position doesn't matter.
                              Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                my gun of choice

                                for the last 13 years I carried a hk p7m8 at work, I use to carry a 32acp seecamp as a backup as well, but i sold it a few years back, and only carry one gun. my holsters are a safariland basketweave that i no longer have, since i quit wearing a duty belt. in the winter i carry a galco executive one sided shoulder holster under my coat, and when i'm not wearing a coat i wear a galco siloette thumb break holster, which tilts forward and makes it easy to draw when sitting down in a car. my seecamp i had a in the pocket galco holster

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X