No announcement yet.

What kind of handgun do you carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently switched from a Glock 22 to a S&W 5906TSW.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

• Originally posted by davis002 View Post
      Recently switched from a Glock 22 to a S&W 5906TSW.
      Your Glock was company issued, correct? How do you like the switch?

I carry the Sig P229

Comment

• I'm currently looking for a weapon to qualify with. I would absolutely love a glock 17, but cant afford it atm. If any of you know a good used gun dealer, sent their link my way. I'm looking for a cheap gun that i can practice with and qualify with, but will not have to rely on with my life.
        http://guardiandetective.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by guardiandetective View Post
          I'm currently looking for a weapon to qualify with. I would absolutely love a glock 17, but cant afford it atm. If any of you know a good used gun dealer, sent their link my way. I'm looking for a cheap gun that i can practice with and qualify with, but will not have to rely on with my life.

In your state if you qualify with a revolver can you carry a semi-auto?

If so, find you a used S&W revolver. They had be had really inexpensively.
          Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Comment

• Originally posted by guardiandetective View Post
            I'm currently looking for a weapon to qualify with. I would absolutely love a glock 17, but cant afford it atm. If any of you know a good used gun dealer, sent their link my way. I'm looking for a cheap gun that i can practice with and qualify with, but will not have to rely on with my life.
            http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1838356.html

Used 2nd generation G 17 $375 WITH 2 MAGS
            www.securityinstructor.net

Comment

• Right now, I carry an issued Ruger GP-100, 4-inch barrel, stainless steel. It's loaded with the .38 Spec +P loads that they also issue.

However, effective July 1st, we will carry brand new Glock 22's with nightsights and three 15-rd magazines. Just finished up the mandated 32-hour transition course and am I happy to be leaving the 19th century technology behind.

How many of you are issued sidearms, and how many are limited to a certain list or certain criteria?

-- Frank
              Tommy Boy: "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$&, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it. "

Comment

• I'm allowed to carry any registered handgun concealed as per the Maryland license requirements- which are more detailed than I care to transcribe ATM.

But I need a new duty weapon myself, and the company isn't in a position to reimburse the purchase directly so it's up to my budget to get a serviceable model.

I was considering a Springfield XD in either .40 S&W or 9mm para. or a Taurus.

Does anyone have any experience with these they can share?
                Security Professional work schedule is as follows, Nights, Weekends and Holidays,.. Pick two.
                [email protected]
                Private Detective

Comment

• Depends on which Taurus you're looking at, but, although I bagged on the XD's a little awhile back, I recently was left in custody of two 4" XD9's, and have been wringing them out (both sons said "Shoot it", so... ). I'm liking them more every time I take them out.

No problems with function, very ergonomic (IF I leave the 1911's, Glocks, etc, home), and certainly plenty accurate. Also very "soft" shooting. Only took about 2 range sessions to adjust to doing draw/double tap drills at 50 yds., just for confidence builder. And I'm definately NOT a competitive shooter!

Also very easy to field strip, clean, and reassemble. Just make sure that it's absolutely clear before stripping; removing the slide causes the firing pin to unload (strike); if there's anything in the chamber, it will fire.

Another thing I like is that I'm not a big guy (6 ft, and 155 lbs), so there isn't much room to conceal a weapon; for a duty weapon, the XD is reasonably easy to concealed carry, if you're wearing more than a swimsuit and T-shirt. Will definately conceal in a shoulder holster even on me.

JMHO. But as I've said before, my opinion really, in the long run, means nothing when discussing what your opinion of a good carry gun would be... whatever works for you, is the "right one".

One real issue that I've run into with the XD's: available choices of Level II, III or IV duty holsters are still pretty limited, even in the "for private security" lines.
                  Last edited by 5423; 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM. Reason: slow thought processes
                  "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Comment

• You'll hear a lot about Taurus guns, both good and bad.

Personal experience talking here: All I'd EVER heard about Taurus firearms was bad....They jam, they break, they're unreliable, etc. In January of 2008 I bought a Taurus PT-145. Blued .45 ACP semiauto, holds 10 in the mag. I bought it used with 13 rounds having been put through it; the seller wanted something a little smaller for 'control issues'.

Between the day I bought it and August of 2008, I put 1260 rounds through it without a problem. I didn't clean it once, and I shot everything from dirty, cheap HSM reloads to Federal PDR hydrashoks, Winchester White Boxed to Remington Golden Sabers.

Out of those 1260 rounds, I had one problem. One of the HSM reloads was a squib round, and had to be knocked out of the barrel with a cleaning rod.

No failures to eject, no stovepipes, no failures to fire/light strikes, nothing.
                    July 1st, 2006, 0300 hrs- Sighted drunk; detained same. NFE.

Comment

• Ok call me old school I carry a Smith&Wesson Mod. 19 357 4 inch in a Safariland highride thumb break loaded with Remington Golden Saber's
                      "If a man does his best, what else is there?" Gen. George S. Patton

Comment

• Originally posted by Saber1000 View Post
                        Ok call me old school I carry a Smith&Wesson Mod. 19 357 4 inch in a Safariland highride thumb break loaded with Remington Golden Saber's
                        That's a nice gun, I never have seen any problem with revolvers for duty weapons. Police carried .38s for years.
                        As long as you carry quality hollowpoint ammo, and not lead round nose like some companies issue
                        Talk about liability..
                        California Armed Security Guard
                        http://www.casecurityofficer.org/

Comment

• Because long swords aren't in fashion at present, I carry an old but trustworthy Ithaca 1911 .45 in a Blackhawk level2 holster. I will eventually pick up a Glock(not sure if in 9mm or .40) becaus law enfiorcement and armed security get a $100.00 off a service weapon here in Oregon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Det. John Shaft View Post
                            Your Glock was company issued, correct? How do you like the switch?

I carry the Sig P229
                            Yes, the Glock was company-issued. My company issues the Glock 22, but will allow personal firearms if approved. I was never a big fan of the Glock (sorry Glock fans) so I went shopping around for an alternative. I had the pleasure of giving the 5906 a test drive and fell in love with the ergonomics and features. Sure... it's smaller than the Glock (shorter barrel) and most would consider downgrading from a .40cal to a 9mm laughable, but it is working out great so far. My only complaint is the weight. The 5906 is all stainless steel, so that makes it a little on the heavy side. The only other complaint was finding a proper duty holster. I had to order a Safariland 6280 from the factory and wait 3 weeks for them to make it and ship it. All in all though I am pleased with it so far.
                            "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X