What kind of handgun do you carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of handgun do you carry?

The purpose of this thread is, as the title suggests, is to find out what the armed guards on this forum carry while on duty. If you like, you may also include what kind of holster you use, how many extra magazines or speedloaders you carry, whether your duty weapon is your own or company issued, and if your duty weapon is also your personal carry weapon.

My duty weapon, which also doubles as my off duty personal carry weapon, is a 9 mm Hi Point C9 compact, which I carry in an Uncle Mike's holster with a magazine holder and retention strap. I carry a total of 4 magazines (one in the gun, one in the holster, and two in the double mag pouch), each holding 8 rounds.

There have been multiple threads on this subject in the past, both here in General, and in the Equipment section.

On a side note: The Uncle Mike's holster you mentioned, with the extra pouch for a magazine... Would that happen to be the one that has the ambidextrous belt-clip with the little mag pocket on the front? I used to have one of those for off duty carry, but I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY suggest getting a holster designed specifically for duty carry. A clip-on holster would be FAR too easy for someone to take away from you.
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
      There have been multiple threads on this subject in the past, both here in General, and in the Equipment section.

On a side note: The Uncle Mike's holster you mentioned, with the extra pouch for a magazine... Would that happen to be the one that has the ambidextrous belt-clip with the little mag pocket on the front? I used to have one of those for off duty carry, but I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY suggest getting a holster designed specifically for duty carry. A clip-on holster would be FAR too easy for someone to take away from you.

It is the kind that can be worn either as a belt clip holster or a belt loop; I know that compared to most of the guys on this forum I am a newbie, but even this newbie is not that stupid. I would only wear a belt clip for concealed carry, not for duty carry.

Comment

Originally posted by tattedupboy View Post
        It is the kind that can be worn either as a belt clip holster or a belt loop; I know that compared to most of the guys on this forum I am a newbie, but even this newbie is not that stupid. I would only wear a belt clip for concealed carry, not for duty carry.
        I distrust anything but Pro-2 and Pro-3 from Uncle Mikes, after I snagged a "Uncle Mike's Sidekick" retention level 1 holster on something, and it tore off my belt. With my revolver in it. Thankfully, I was changing holsters at work (didn't have time to take my bat belt apart before work, UPS had just come. ) and had a Safariland one.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Glock 22 with TLR1 light..

Comment

I think we have another thread about this, but...

Glock 22 with 3 15-rnd magazines, company-issued.
            Attached Files
            "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Sig Sauer P229 40. Cal, 3 12 round mags. For right now, I use Uncle Mike's Pro-3 duty holster. Going to switch to the Safariland Raptor Level 3 soon. For off-duty, I use the Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster.
              "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Glock 23

I carry a Glock 23, .40 cal with 2% OC and a M18L taser while working uniformed.

In plainclothes, I carry my Glock 23 and a C2 Taser.
                Michael P Rolfes, CEO & Chief Investigator
                Official Investigations & Security Services, Inc.

MAILING ADDRESS:
                PO Box 317725
                Cincinnati, OH 45231-7725

Local: 513-931-7448
                Toll-free: 800-477-8419
                Fax: 513-931-7448

STATE LICENSES
                Ohio # 200621001041
                Indiana # PI20700010 / SG20700048
                Kentucky #0279

Comment

When I worked where I could carry

I carried depending on the site. At a nasty, muddy construction site, I carried the Rossi .38 snub with 2 speedloaders in my little cheap holster from Academy. Anywhere else, I carried A Glock 22 in .40 with 3 10-rd mags in the Uncle Mike's Sidekick that I have for sale. I also carried a High Point (low value) 9mil for a while and decided that it was better served as a paperweight/fishing weight than something to rely on in a conflict. (The friggin slide jumped off at the range.)

For my off-duty, I carry a Raven .25 in my pocket holster I made or I carry grandad's old Colt in a shoulder rig. Note:my off-duty is not CCW, but hiking/around the farm.

Comment

The only firearms I have ever carried are all loaded as there are no unloaded firearms unless cleared and safety checked twice and with a partner once more. I did carry many different firearms but do know you need to know WHAT the model and brand is as it is dumb to go for the 4-in-1 combo from a discount store. I do have a nylon combo holster with the spare round magazine at the front but it is actually affixed to the belt with an Allen Key (still slides but has a massive retention safety) and I do recall only ever using that front mag holder for my 1st Mag into the firearm upon issue from the Armourer.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by tattedupboy View Post
                      The purpose of this thread is, as the title suggests, is to find out what the armed guards on this forum carry while on duty. If you like, you may also include what kind of holster you use, how many extra magazines or speedloaders you carry, whether your duty weapon is your own or company issued, and if your duty weapon is also your personal carry weapon.

My duty weapon, which also doubles as my off duty personal carry weapon, is a 9 mm Hi Point C9 compact, which I carry in an Uncle Mike's holster with a magazine holder and retention strap. I carry a total of 4 magazines (one in the gun, one in the holster, and two in the double mag pouch), each holding 8 rounds.
                      Hi Point C9 compact is a RIDICULOUS weapon to be using as a duty weapon.
                      Washington DC

Comment

mjw

There is nothing wrong with using Hi Points for duty work. Yes, the manufacturer is pretty hit and miss on quality, but the guns, for the most part, get the job done. Anyone could say, for any number of reasons, that "carrying xxxxx gun is ridiculous for duty carry", but they'd be wrong and pretty much look stoopid. It's all a matter of preference, price, and comfort. I carried a HP when I started because it was what I could afford.

Comment

Glock 22 with Trijicon night sights and 3 15 round magazines. I use a Bianchi Accumold level 2 Duty Holster.

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
                            There is nothing wrong with using Hi Points for duty work. Yes, the manufacturer is pretty hit and miss on quality, but the guns, for the most part, get the job done. Anyone could say, for any number of reasons, that "carrying xxxxx gun is ridiculous for duty carry", but they'd be wrong and pretty much look stoopid. It's all a matter of preference, price, and comfort. I carried a HP when I started because it was what I could afford.
                            Cheap gear will get you killed when you need it most. Particularly using a holster that is not set up for duty use. Its a pathetic shame that Weapons retention is not part of the training program for Armed Officers here in Texas.

Comment

Nick

The thing that will get you killed more often than cheap gear is poor training or the attitude that your weapon will always be a fail-safe and is your only line of defense. That's why we have verbal judo courses, etc.

My comment was specifically that Hi-Point is a perfectly ok choice of sidearm. Same goes for Taurus or CZ or any other brand that some "expert" doesn't like. There are some perfectly good cheap weapons and some really crappy expensive ones. I, for one, think Glocks and Berettas are garbage. It has been my experience that I would be better armed with a handful of rocks than either one of these guns, but that's my personal observation. Does it mean all Glocks and Berettas are bad weapons? Of course not. Police agencies and military nearly worldwide probably would not use them if that was the case.

Also, if you go to some training academies in TX, they actually roll WR into their curriculum. I dunno who you work for down here, but SWP kind of brought it in to our training. It is also offered at places like GTDistributors in Austin.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X