Does size really matter? - Extendable Batons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSam21 View Post
    They hit just as hard but one of our FTO's discourages our officers from getting them. With the less weight it puts it in your head that you have to swing harder. The harder you swing the more energy you use. The more energy you use the faster you exhaust said energy.
    Id rather swing my hardest and stop the threat then hit the person half strength and have to do multiple strikes. Also If your swinging that many times that your getting exhausted your doing something wrong and need to go to refresher training.
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Thanks... I figured they'd be reasonably equal (given 10% +/-), FWIW I ended up purchasing an ASP 21" black chrome... it's opening/locking mechanism kinda' reminds me of a kid's plastic telescopic lightsabre LMAO

"Use the force Luke..."
      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
        Thanks... I figured they'd be reasonably equal (given 10% +/-), FWIW I ended up purchasing an ASP 21" black chrome... it's opening/locking mechanism kinda' reminds me of a kid's plastic telescopic lightsabre LMAO

"Use the force Luke..."

Same as what I got the Black Chrome ASP, where did you get yours from?

Comment

I searched around (locally) and eventually purchased it from LE Gear, thanks to their 'Best Price Guarantee' policy... I got an exceptional deal! (delivery times in my experience were a bit average though)

What State you located in?
          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I searched around (locally) and eventually purchased it from LE Gear, thanks to their 'Best Price Guarantee' policy... I got an exceptional deal! (delivery times in my experience were a bit average though)

What State you located in?
            I got my gear from there too Im in QLD and delivery took about 2 days. They seem to carry the best range that I have found and there own brand is of the same quality as the Accumold gear I believe

Comment

2 days? yeah I had delays totalling 2 weeks LMAO

Still for $29.00 off their sale price... why should I complain?

Comment

I've noted ASP airweight extendable batons are made from aircraft alloy thus making it 40% lighter than the regular ASP (with a claimed 98% strike potential), would it be more effective tickling an offender with a feather than one of these?

Thanks guys
                If I remember my high-school physics, the energy transferred is the product of multiplying the mass of an object times the speed (or acceleration) of impact.

So, if that's true and you're swinging a baton that's 25% lighter, but swinging it 25% faster, doesn't the actual energy transferred work out to be about the same?

EXPERIMENT: Get yourself some pumpkins and smack them top-speed with both a heavier and a lighter baton to see what difference weight-versus-speed makes.

Think about a tornado that can drive a piece of straw into a piece of plywood, for instance (very high speed, but low mass).

ADDENDUM: If you swing a longer baton and a shorter baton with equal arm speed, the tip of the longer baton travels further (through a longer arc) in the same time period, and hence, at higher tip speed than the tip of the shorter baton. For the same "swing", then, the longer baton will transfer more energy (toward the tip) than the shorter baton, everything else being equal. That's why baseballs struck toward the end of a bat will travel further for the same swing than if the batter is "jammed" in on his hands, and also the reason that a golf driver has a longer shaft than a 9-iron.

Of course, all of this is rather academic because the differences (lighter/heavier, longer/shorter) are probably fairly small. Smack 'em good with either baton, and they'll know they've been smacked.
                Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-21-2007, 09:02 AM.
                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I carry a 26" ASP, because they won't let me carry the 36" one. I'd rather carry my aluminum PR-24, but they say it's "too intimidating." I always felt that a stick should look intimidating.
                  "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X