Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on jackets for winter

Hi

Since you northern hemisphere folks have just come out of winter, and us poor southern hemisphere people are now freezing our rear ends off as winter hits us, I thought I'd ask some advice on jackets for winter.

In the last few nights over here in Australia, it has been insanely cold for us, and on the Gold Coast it's even hit -1 degree celcius

Basically I'm after a jacket that looks like this here http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/pro...-Jacket/Detail but it needs to have side access zippers. I'd also prefer it to have the outter made of taslan too, and it has to be black.

Has anyone any recommendations at all on what's great and what's to stay away from?

I'd appreciate any help at all

Cheers
    A well trained dog is worth 10 men!

I can recall my dog, but I can never recall a fired bullet!

Would you prefer me to use the dog, the Glock, the baton or the O.C. spray? It's your health insurance so you decide. Alternatively there is always the handcuffs, followed by the Police with the court house preceeding rapidly after. Now which service would you like me to utilise

FYI winter ends here at the end of March. It's now near the end of July. We have been out of winter for a while now. You missed a season, spring
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
      FYI winter ends here at the end of March. It's now near the end of July. We have been out of winter for a while now. You missed a season, spring

Ok ok you caught me out Dam Canadian's jealous of our superiority in the Commonwealth

Would you prefer me to use the dog, the Glock, the baton or the O.C. spray? It's your health insurance so you decide. Alternatively there is always the handcuffs, followed by the Police with the court house preceeding rapidly after. Now which service would you like me to utilise

Comment

Australie is not very cold canada it cold lol we got -30 c in winter now that it cold

Comment

K-9... Tell me what kind of price range you are looking at. I know of quite a few jackets that would fit your needs, but they very greatly in price. Also, those jackets from Uniform Warehouse aren't too bad, but they are rather cheaply made.

For example, if you are willing to spend the extra money for a high-quality jacket, I would suggest...

The jacket above is a Spiewak Tactel Standard Duty Jacket. It costs $100 USD at Streichers. (www.streichers.com)

From Streichers: "No matter what mother nature has to offer, this coat’s outershell of 100% Tactel two-ply nylon with a water repellent finish will keep you dry and comfortable. The 200 gram Thinsulate zip-in liner provides extra protection against the cold. Knit armholes for freedom of movement and side vent zippers make your equipment easy to access. 26”, machine washable. Optional zip-on fur collar available. Available in black, navy, or brown. Available in regular or long lengths, sizes S-5X. 2X or larger are subject to a 20% oversize charge."

I am not sure if they will ship to Australia, but I live near the Minneapolis location. I would be willing to help out with getting the jacket to you somehow.
          "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

^ +1 to what Davis002 posted...There are tons of good jackets out there, but it's going to depend on what you're looking at budget-wise. I'm a big fan of Blauer uniforms, personally... But they're also pretty expensive, so it may be out of your price range... You can check out Quartermaster's selection at www.qmuniforms.com, or Galls at www.galls.com to get an idea. Galls will have a bigger selection, but QM usually has better prices. Good luck!
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by davis002 View Post
              K-9... Tell me what kind of price range you are looking at. I know of quite a few jackets that would fit your needs, but they very greatly in price. Also, those jackets from Uniform Warehouse aren't too bad, but they are rather cheaply made.

For example, if you are willing to spend the extra money for a high-quality jacket, I would suggest...

The jacket above is a Spiewak Tactel Standard Duty Jacket. It costs $100 USD at Streichers. (www.streichers.com)

From Streichers: "No matter what mother nature has to offer, this coat’s outershell of 100% Tactel two-ply nylon with a water repellent finish will keep you dry and comfortable. The 200 gram Thinsulate zip-in liner provides extra protection against the cold. Knit armholes for freedom of movement and side vent zippers make your equipment easy to access. 26”, machine washable. Optional zip-on fur collar available. Available in black, navy, or brown. Available in regular or long lengths, sizes S-5X. 2X or larger are subject to a 20% oversize charge."

I am not sure if they will ship to Australia, but I live near the Minneapolis location. I would be willing to help out with getting the jacket to you somehow.

Thanks Davis002, that's great

I would be looking to spend around the $100 - $150USD mark. I have started my own security company in recent months and as a result I'd be looking to also purchase them for each of my staff.

I currently have this jacket made in New Zealand (black fur-lined collar pictured below) and it costs me about $110USD

Big thing over here now is everyone is swapping to what we call Polar-Tec jackets, which are made out of extremely warm polar fleece, and they have extremely genouros "cut-outs" for appointments (see the second photo which the jacket is navy in colour). Only problem is as most of you will be aware that polar fleece isn't friendly with animal hair, and when you're a dog handler it doesn't take long to look terrible.

I would love to talk to you mmore also about your kind offer to assist me in obtaining uniforms too. I was given permission by a USA company to make an international order. I went ahead and purchased and paid for several items from them. They emailed me to say they had received my funds (I paid for them via Visa card). That was in early February. I still to this day have not received a reply email to any of the many emails I've sent asking where my goods are. 6mths later it looks like I've lost my $250 odd dollars and won't be getting any of the goods I orderd One site member here has been more than kind enough to help with the issue but I know he is very busy and I'm reluctant to ask him for further help with the issue.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah it's been pretty cold at night down here also, it may not fit your preferences but how about these bomber style jackets for winter duty from Joseph Dahdah Australia featuring side access zips for armed work/access to duty belt, velcro fastening epaulettes, generous pocket sizing & more than adequate insulated cotton lining...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Maelstrom; 07-22-2007, 02:54 AM.
                "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Its pretty rare that you will see me in a jacket in the winter. When in uniform I have on my commando sweater and thermal clothing. I stay pretty warm just doing that. However...I've found the Carhart jackets to be EXTREMELY warm. They run about $70 and still look very nice if you're a detective or Sec. Ofc.
                  "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                    Yeah it's been pretty cold at night down here also, it may not fit your preferences but how about these bomber style jackets for winter duty from Joseph Dahdah Australia featuring side access zips for armed work/access to duty belt, velcro fastening epaulettes, generous pocket sizing & more than adequate insulated cotton lining...
                    That is the jacket that I wear with Chubb Security.

If you need close up photos or it just let me know.

It has zippers on the side for firearm access or duty belt access.
                    Fight what is Wrong, Believe what is True, Do what is Right

Comment

Originally posted by Penthrox View Post
                      Do you find they actually can get too hot?
                      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

If you need close up photos or it just let me know.

It has zippers on the side for firearm access or duty belt access.

Thanks for the kind offer

I've decided to get my own jackets custom made. Found a stay at home mum who loves sewing and she is more than happy to make what I'm after. I'm going to combine the appointment access points on the Polartec jacket I posted up (the navy jacket), onto the black jacket I posted up with the furlined colar and then incorporate a few other items I would like. It will have a taslan outer shell, and be lined inside with high grade polar fleece. That way it will be great for the bitterly cold nights down around 0 degrees, yet still breath so you don't sweat inside and won't be to big and bulky.

I'll post some pictures up as soon as it's finished, which will hopefully be the end of this week.

Problem is with a lot of jackets the padding is inferior and you sweat to much, or it's just not warm enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                          Do you find they actually can get too hot?
                          Yeah I do especially when do Cash in Transit work and you are constantly in and out of the car and lifting valuable/liability bags. Also I find that I had to change my duty firearm holster to an uncle mikes holster with the 1and a half inch drop on it to be able to access the firearm with any type of speed. I do not use the jacket that much though its good for really cold nights however it is useless during cold WET nights as it doesnt repel water that well. I use a rainbird jacket that I bought more as it is a waterproof jacket.
                          I find that I just use my woolen standard issue jumper from chubb more than a jacket. Another big problem we have is the lack of range of movement in the jacket. For me being a bigger shouldered officer the cut of the jacket restricts my movement.

Anyway good luck with the custom job k9
                          Fight what is Wrong, Believe what is True, Do what is Right

Comment

Originally posted by K-9 Aussie View Post
                            Found a stay at home mum who loves sewing and she is more than happy to make what I'm after.
                            Aussie if such a woman exist then you have found much more than a jacket. I thought that kind of girl disappeared when Gloria Steinem arrived on the scene in the 60s.
                            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Yeah I do especially when do Cash in Transit work and you are constantly in and out of the car and lifting valuable/liability bags. Also I find that I had to change my duty firearm holster to an uncle mikes holster with the 1and a half inch drop on it to be able to access the firearm with any type of speed. I do not use the jacket that much though its good for really cold nights however it is useless during cold WET nights as it doesnt repel water that well.
                              I'm of the opinion that the material doesn't breathe at all well, however I have found they're great for static work on really cold nights... otherwise the shirt/jacket combo or issued shirt/woolen jumper is usually sufficient

I too look forward to seeing the end result K-9!

Originally posted by Chucky
                              Aussie if such a woman exist then you have found much more than a jacket. I thought that kind of girl disappeared when Gloria Steinem arrived on the scene in the 60s.
                              No one said good women were easy to find

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X