Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy here...Carry Gun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New guy here...Carry Gun?

    I am new here and I am in the process of joining the ranks of commissioned security guards in Texas. I am looking for suggestions on a good sidearm. I do not want a Glock and I want to stay around $500, any ideas? Also, though I have to qualify with a 9mm or .38, I would prefer something a little more potent.

  • #2
    Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
    I am new here and I am in the process of joining the ranks of commissioned security guards in Texas. I am looking for suggestions on a good sidearm. I do not want a Glock and I want to stay around $500, any ideas? Also, though I have to qualify with a 9mm or .38, I would prefer something a little more potent.
    We all could sit here all weekend, and give suggestions in regards to firearms. What I suggest is, go to the local gun range. Most ranges have handguns you can rent. I'd suggest shooting several different types and determine what "you" feel most comfortable with. The key thing here is, that this weapon can be the option of going home to your comfy bed, or home to heaven. Take the time to "test" various weapons and go with the one you feel comfortable with.

    However, with the spending budget you have, you can get retain a good used weapon. I currently have a Sig Sauer P229 .40

    Good Luck and be safe
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
      I am new here and I am in the process of joining the ranks of commissioned security guards in Texas. I am looking for suggestions on a good sidearm. I do not want a Glock and I want to stay around $500, any ideas? Also, though I have to qualify with a 9mm or .38, I would prefer something a little more potent.
      As BadBoyn says, we can debate this all night. There is absolutely nothing wrong or low performance with a revolver such as a S&W Model 10 .38 Special (Just a for instance, many state troopers over the years lived to retirement because of thier .38 Special) or a S&W 39-2 9mm, or Baretta 92fs 9mm and such. I have seen and heard all the arguements for and against a particular caliber and make/model. .38 and 9mm have done the job when called upon so don't sell them short.

      Stay within your requirements but be comforable, practiced and proficient with your duty piece. As BadBoyn comments, it may make the difference in where you spend the evening.

      Practice, practice and then practice. Until you consistently make 6" groups of three at 25 yards. This ain't world class shooting but it will get you familiar and confident in your firearm and yourself. Have an instructor demonstrate various firing positions in the open and from cover.

      There are a few experts here who can offer additional advice. So be sure to ask questions until you know you have the answer you need.

      Sorry. Guess thats more answer then you had question.

      Above all stay safe.

      Comment


      • #4
        yea

        Yea, I was kind of looking for some expert advice. I used to own a Steyr M-40 and I am really pleased with a .40 cal. I was wondering if there is anything comparable that won't hit me so hard in the pocketbook.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
          Yea, I was kind of looking for some expert advice. I used to own a Steyr M-40 and I am really pleased with a .40 cal. I was wondering if there is anything comparable that won't hit me so hard in the pocketbook.
          Have you looked on GunBroker.com for comparison? Might be a place to start.

          Comment


          • #6
            can I ask why you are against a glock? there is a reason why it is so widely used for law enforcement and security. You can usually find new glocks for around 490 just below your price. They are easy to take apart/put back together, you can find a glock armorer just about anywhere to get them fixed, buy tons of accessories from lasers to lights to handgrips, and they are relaible.

            I would not go with a revolver for one simple reason, less ammo and longer reload times. most auto's can carry 10-15 rounds per magazine and is a fast reload.

            also remember that with guns you get what you pay for. stay away from brands such as taurus or hi-point who have checkered pasts. Also I would never buy used simply because you never know how it was treated before you got it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Just remember, what you qualify with is what you may have to carry by state law. You may only be able to carry a 9mm or .38 on duty, I would check up on that before you go out and buy a firearm.
              Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, my thoughts..

                In carry weapons, I happen to prefer my XD-45. Springfield put together a really nice piece when they developed this. I am an expert on qualifying with rifles (military days), and do alright with a handgun. When I went looking for a handgun, I knew I had to get something that was easy to use, safe, I could qualify easily with, and carried enough munitions in the mag. Price wise, I paid $560. Has similiar features asthetically like the glock, but more towards my preference. I dont care for glocks though...LOL! You can also get a XD-40 if you like the .40cals. I went with 45 for lower velocity which made qualifying easier. Also the Xd models are built with dual springs for easier control.
                Deputy Sheriff

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SEO_09 View Post
                  Just remember, what you qualify with is what you may have to carry by state law. You may only be able to carry a 9mm or .38 on duty, I would check up on that before you go out and buy a firearm.
                  That depends on where he's at. Definitely needs to be looked into further. WA state, for example, says you have to qualify with not only the caliber, but type/model of gun you will carry. OR state, on the other hand, says if you're certified for armed, you're certified for armed, period. Regardless of type/caliber of weapon. (Although they DO prefer that you qualify with the style you'll carry, either auto or revolver.. They frown on people qualifying with a revolver then carrying an auto, for example.)

                  Personally, I can't stand Glocks, so I understand where you're coming from on that. But I agree with everything that has been said above. Go to one of the ranges in the area that will let you test the guns, and shop, shop, shop until you find one that fits you 'like a glove'... That was how I found my Walther P99, and I haven't looked back since.
                  Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                  Originally posted by ValleyOne
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another thing I will add is.....if you work with others who are carrying the same type of handgun, you may consider following suit. Reason I say this is, because if you get into a gun battle and run out of ammo, your partners can toss you a magazine so you can stay in the fight.
                    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BadBoynMD View Post
                      Another thing I will add is.....if you work with others who are carrying the same type of handgun, you may consider following suit. Reason I say this is, because if you get into a gun battle and run out of ammo, your partners can toss you a magazine so you can stay in the fight.
                      BadBoynMD, it's been a long time since I have heard that logic. You've done some LE or LE Training?

                      What's everyone got against Glocks anyway. I used to be a Glock Armorer, had been for years. Shot Glocks in Law Enforcement and now in the private sector. I found them to be very reliable and as locknid pointed out, they are easy to break down and replace parts and the huge selection of add-ons. Reasonably priced. Just curious what the complaints are?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by acrand View Post
                        BadBoynMD, it's been a long time since I have heard that logic. You've done some LE or LE Training?

                        What's everyone got against Glocks anyway. I used to be a Glock Armorer, had been for years. Shot Glocks in Law Enforcement and now in the private sector. I found them to be very reliable and as locknid pointed out, they are easy to break down and replace parts and the huge selection of add-ons. Reasonably priced. Just curious what the complaints are?
                        That's correct, i've had some LE training.
                        "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by acrand View Post
                          ...What's everyone got against Glocks anyway. I used to be a Glock Armorer, had been for years. Shot Glocks in Law Enforcement and now in the private sector. I found them to be very reliable and as locknid pointed out, they are easy to break down and replace parts and the huge selection of add-ons. Reasonably priced. Just curious what the complaints are?
                          I won't argue with the points you bring up. After all, there IS a reason many departments issue Glocks...

                          Most of my career so far was in an area where the departments tried to use that "everyone with the same gun" policy, for the sake of sharing magazines. The problem is, they didn't have a caliber requirement, so many of their magazines were still not interchangeable. Kinda negated the whole idea. It should be either all with the EXACT same model, or their own choice of weapon, in my opinion.

                          For me, personally, I stay FAR away from Glocks, because they don't feel right in my hand, at ALL. I understand the logic behind the rule about everyone carrying the same gun, but I don't necessarily agree with it. I, for one, can't hit the broad side of a barn with a Glock, (exaggerated, obviously.. lol). But I can create a nice tight group with my Walther. If I were working for a company that required Glocks, I would probably opt to stay unarmed for safety's sake. I don't know if everyone has the same complaints as me, but that's my take on it, at least. Having seen this in myself, I'm a firm believer that people should be allowed to carry the gun they're most comfortable with.
                          Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                          Originally posted by ValleyOne
                          BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                          Shoulda called in sick.
                          Be safe!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Charger View Post
                            I won't argue with the points you bring up. After all, there IS a reason many departments issue Glocks...

                            Most of my career so far was in an area where the departments tried to use that "everyone with the same gun" policy, for the sake of sharing magazines. The problem is, they didn't have a caliber requirement, so many of their magazines were still not interchangeable. Kinda negated the whole idea. It should be either all with the EXACT same model, or their own choice of weapon, in my opinion.

                            For me, personally, I stay FAR away from Glocks, because they don't feel right in my hand, at ALL. I understand the logic behind the rule about everyone carrying the same gun, but I don't necessarily agree with it. I, for one, can't hit the broad side of a barn with a Glock, (exaggerated, obviously.. lol). But I can create a nice tight group with my Walther. If I were working for a company that required Glocks, I would probably opt to stay unarmed for safety's sake. I don't know if everyone has the same complaints as me, but that's my take on it, at least. Having seen this in myself, I'm a firm believer that people should be allowed to carry the gun they're most comfortable with.
                            Yep! Thats the way I feel about it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Same here. I dislike how the Glock I fired fit in my hand, and I wasn't a good shot with it at all. I wasn't hitting better than 7s at 25 yards.

                              When the weapon seized up, the range master gave me a Beretta 92FS to play with, and I was hitting dead on with it, 9s and Xs at 25 yards. Thankfully, I knew the folks there, and was allowed to shoot from holster as well as transition to the long gun.

                              I liked the Beretta for its pointability, and because I could hit black at 50 yards from holster.

                              If the real Sig 226 is anything like the airsoft version I have, then I like its pointability, as well.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

                              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X