Bike patrol lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike patrol lights

What do you guys use for lights on your patrol bikes. We have the Smith & Wesson police bikes at work with a Niterider headlamp and some chinsy AA battery powered strobes. I wonder what everyone else uses or what is out there so I can propose an upgrade. Maybe Red/Red perhaps? Green is the color of Security in Ohio but right now the strobes are amber on the left, red on the right. Our current setup is unsafe and would like to pitch a change.
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
    What do you guys use for lights on your patrol bikes. We have the Smith & Wesson police bikes at work with a Niterider headlamp and some chinsy AA battery powered strobes. I wonder what everyone else uses or what is out there so I can propose an upgrade. Maybe Red/Red perhaps? Green is the color of Security in Ohio but right now the strobes are amber on the left, red on the right. Our current setup is unsafe and would like to pitch a change.
    How is the current setup unsafe?
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Here's an example from Galls:

(You mentioned having a Niterider headlight already? Is it this one, or a different one?)
      http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=LE151

The bike we used when I did mall security had an LED taillight/strobe setup on the rear. It had a (BRIGHT!) red taillight, that doubled as a strobe, and even had little amber LED turn signals incorporated into it that could strobe as well. Can't remember the brand or name of the unit, but I'm sure it's still around on the market.
      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
      Originally posted by ValleyOne
      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
      Shoulda called in sick.
      Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
        How is the current setup unsafe?
        Because, there is a switch for the headlight, and each strobe has a switch. The strobes are nowhere near bright enough.

Comment

The campus police at the college I worked for used lots of reflective tape on gear and bikes. You couldn't miss them if you tried.
          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
          http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
            Because, there is a switch for the headlight, and each strobe has a switch. The strobes are nowhere near bright enough.
            What are the strobes for? Is there an approved tail light or reflector on the rear of the bike?

If the strobes are for visibility, then they should not be the primary tail light or take the place of reflectors.

If the strobes are for "warning power," realize that no one has to move for those strobes unless they're red and blue. Audio warning power is usually better, either a siren or digital air horn (they make both for bikes), depending on state laws for bike operation.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

There is a reflector to the rear and front, as on any bike. The strobes in the front are for warning.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X