Fuel Saving measures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Training? What training? You put the guard on the bike, he rides around, he locks the bike up when he's done with it.

Aint that the truth.. Nah, I made sure we got a good training session from the local PD.. Learned all sorts of nifty stuff... The sliding take-down was my personal favorite.. LOL

Personally, I would also look into some other company than BP... The problem is, (this was also the case at my mall), a lot of times they want the vehicle as CLOSE to the mall property as possible at all times, so they choose whatever station is closest to the property. It may not be plausible to change to a different vendor.

Vehicle-wise, here's another idea. Since I'm partial to the american-made cars, I'm surprised it slipped my mind earlier. You need good mileage, but something that'll still hold all your gear. You might try getting them to look into the Dodge Magnum. The Police package one with the 3.5 v6 gets almost identical mileage to the CVPI. If you opt for the smaller engine it's even better. You probably wouldn't need the HEMI since you aren't (or at least, probably aren't) getting into pursuits. Anyhow, I'll get off my soapbox now. Just throwin some other ideas out there for ya.
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
      How would I go about asking for a change in vehicles? Of course I would have to present stats, etc.
      Here's what I did to get us the bikes. The same type of process could be used for a vehicle:

Look up all the stats on the vehicles you're currently using. Not just the estimated mileage they're rated for, but what type of mileage they're ACTUALLY getting, and what kind of MONEY is being spent on them. (Remember the key thing for management, is the cash) If you've had verbal judo training, this will sound familiar. You want to make them AGREE with you that you need a different vehicle. So find all of the bad stuff regarding the current setup, and bring up all the good points of the new idea. MAKE them want the change. It's easier said than done, but you might be surprised how easy it is to convince them when you bring up the cost. Money talks, after all.

Personally, once I had all the stats, I actually put it together in a Powerpoint presentation that I showed to the management staff. This of course would be completely optional, but it showed them that I really cared about the subject, and was willing to take the time to show them how strongly I felt about it.

In the end, how you go about it is up to you. But like I said, do what you can to make them WANT the change, and the rest will pretty much take care of itself in time.
      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
      Originally posted by ValleyOne
      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
      Shoulda called in sick.
      Be safe!

Comment

Horseback !
        K9...."Protect all who enter"

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          Training? What training? You put the guard on the bike, he rides around, he locks the bike up when he's done with it.

I see the smiley, but those considering bikes do sometimes believe this is all there is to it. They should note that there are maneuvers and ways to use a bike for patrol that do require training if you want to use them to best advantage. Even from a liability standpoint alone I would not omit training. Bikes are potentially dangerous, both to riders and to pedestrians.
          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I'm not partial to US-made when it comes to picking gear - I'll buy what my people need. If it's US, well and good. Otherwise...

Along those lines, the Honda Element (looks something like a "baby Hummer") is very interesting. Enormous interior with tons of headroom for you 7-footers (honestly), although the driver knee room for really big guys doesn't quite match the headroom. It has removable rear seats for more storage, differential AWD, and a completely washable "rubberized" interior so that you can practically hose it out. And, of course, it has government 5-star crash ratings and Honda reliability, to both of which I can personally testify. Also, they're very economical to own and operate. Of course, they can be equipped with a lot of aftermarket gear, including a tent that attaches to the back and could serve purposes like an emergency management command post. Other accessories include cargo organizers and even an interior bike tie-down - yes, there's room. You could drive to a site, patrol it on bike for stealth/economy, throw the bike in back and move on to the next. Or, two officers drive to the site, one takes the bike and the other patrols in the Element, using walkie-talkies to stay in touch. The back hatch doors open up wider than a ravenous crocodile, and form a "tailgating platform/seat" as well. Towing capacity is modest but decent (no problem for your speedboat or a trailer with a couple of Goldwings), and Honda makes some very high-quality hitches for it.

This car came out in 2003, but it's built on the CR-V engine and tranny, so it has lot's of design history. The small turning radius is very gratifying in tight places (the proverbial turning on a dime - well, maybe a quarter), and it's got enough guts so it won't leave you hung out to dry in the passing lane. Steep hills are no problem. With all of this, though, it's still a compact, and you can park it anywhere.

The heater/AC is excellent, and of course you can get monster sound systems for it for those lonely nights.... (Speaking of which, the seats fold ALL the way down to form a bed. Uh-oh!) You might wish the seats were a little less hard on your butt, but a lot of guys bring their own seat cushions anyway nowadays because this is a common problem in a lot of cars, both high- and low-end of the market.

The "suicide" design of the side doors would be a question, and the back door cannot be opened unless the front door is opened first. This is very inconvenient for people with kids. However, it might be the perfect design for prisoner transport because there ain't no way they're gonna escape in case you forget to lock the door. Besides, I'd be removing the back seats for the gear storage anyway unless I did use it regularly for transport. And, the one GREAT thing about this door design is that side access to the rear compartment is simply huge as there is no middle side beam (the closed doors form the middle side beam that is among the strongest in existence, as the 5-star side crash rating shows - kudos, Honda engineers!)

One downside to the Element is that you notice crosswinds on the highway more than you would in a lower-profile vehicle of the same weight. This can be a little disconcerting at first, but it feels worse than it really is, if you know what I mean. Under strong crosswind conditions, such as gusts of 35-40 mph or above, I would not drive the Element at speeds over 70 mph and if it still feels squirrelly it usually resolves by moderating your speed down to about 60 mph. Anyway, for the purposes we're discussing, i.e. city patrol, etc., this would not be a factor at all. The Element would never make the short list of pursuit vehicles for the Highway Patrol due to this wind thing, but so what?

NOTE: The 2007 SC version rides 3" lower on a sports suspension and probably does better in the wind. Unfortunately, I think you give up the rubberized, washable interior for carpets and a more "plush" interior in the SC version. I'd prefer to keep the more utilitarian rubberized version for a service vehicle.

Some people think the Element looks like a WWII ambulance (I prefer the Hummer analogy, thank you). In fact, the truth is that you could remove the right front and rear passenger seats, install stretcher retainers in the rubberized floor, and the Element would make a very good light-use medical aid car/ambulance because there'd be plenty of room for the stretcher on the right, with the seat remaining in back on the left for the attendant, plus all the headroom I've already discussed. It won't surprise me to hear that someone does use the Element in a configuration like this.

Oh, and I've seen a black Element that was tricked out with gold reflective graphics, an LED light bar and spotlights. I think it had been lowered a couple of inches. Anyway, it was very kewl (rather mean-looking, actually) and I've always wished I had chased it and gotten a picture. There are also some around that have been painted camo, and they look quite military.
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-04-2007, 09:01 PM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X